Turn Off Ads?
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Attendance issues

Re: Attendance issues

Quote Originally Posted by Roy Tucker View Post
    The bottom line is the Reds can throw all the two-fers and bogos and discounts they can at you, but only a competitive and winning team will bring in the throngs of fans they need. Cincinnati fans have always been fickle.
    I don't think fickle is the right word. Maybe "Fed up" is a fairer term.
    Allen and Lindner ticked off a lot of fans. Those fans have to be won back.

As recent as 2000, the Reds pulled in about 2.5 or 2.6 million (I can't remember the exact number). Some of that was from Jr, but some of it was due to the fact that the team almost made the playoffs in 1999, and it appeared that they were finally going to try to win the division.
    Even though Neagle was dumped midseason while the team was in 2nd place, they still got a strong attendence year.

Since then, IIRC, we haven't even had a .500 team. Maybe I'm wrong, but the product has been horrible the last 10 years. I'm going to be honest. If someone gave me free seats for my entire family for this weekend, I am not sure I would accept them and drive down to see the game. I have a lot more fun watching minor league ball live. When the team puts a better product on the field, then I'll make the commitment to blow an entire day to drive down to Cincy and watch them. I'm seeing some signs of life in this franchise, but it's going to take more to win me back.
    Thank you Walt and Bob for going for it in 2010-2014!

Nov. 13, 2007: One of the greatest days in Reds history: John Allen gets the boot!

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by gonelong View Post
    I think this is where the Reds organization completely misses the boat. They seem to always be focused on the cost of the game instead of the value.
    Bingo.

People around here will spend silly amounts of money if they think there's value in the return. Folks will plunk down $25,000 on a dumb motorcycle because for them the entertainment value is worth more than the cash. People are willing to open the wallets for movies, restaurants, golf and the riverboats. So GL is right that it's got little to nothing to do with being cheep.
    Last edited by Ltlabner; 04-28-2010 at 03:01 PM.
    a super volcano of ridonkulous suckitude.

I simply don't have access to a "cares about RBI" place in my psyche. There is a "mildly curious about OBI%" alcove just before the acid filled lake guarded by robot snipers with lasers which leads to the "cares about RBI" antechamber though. - Nate

The Reds can have all the promotions they want, but a winning team will always bring in more fans.

SERP deep cover ops WebScorpion's Avatar

Personally, I think this is simply a product of the recession. People are making the same amount + The cost of living is still going up + Record numbers are unemployed + MLB doesn't lower prices = nationwide lower attendance. Where's the mystery? :

"Okay you guys, pair up in threes!" --Yogi Berra

Quote Originally Posted by WebScorpion View Post
    Personally, I think this is simply a product of the recession. People are making the same amount + The cost of living is still going up + Record numbers are unemployed + MLB doesn't lower prices = nationwide lower attendance. Where's the mystery? :
    http://www.redszone.com/forums/showp...1&postcount=12

Turn Off Ads?