Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Rockies to send Chris Iannetta to minors

Rockies to send Chris Iannetta to minors

I just read on MLB.com that the Rockies are about to send catcher Chris Iannetta to the minor leagues. I'd love to see the Reds offer up a package to acquire him. He's off to a slow start this season (.569 OPS in 34 PA) but he's got a career .799 OPS in 1,118 major league plate appearances, including an .895 OPS in 2008 and .804 in 2009. He just turned 27 years old a couple weeks ago so he's still young and has upside.

I'm not sure what it would take to acquire him but it sure would be nice to have him in a Reds uniform.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Rockies to send Chris Iannetta to minors

While I recognize it's not the be-all, end-all and his LD% is a very poor 10.5%, his BABIP is .118. I wonder what the scouting report on him is.
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

I like Iannetta but he'd only be a slight upgrade if that.Not to mention that the catcher position is just about the least of the Reds problems.

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Hook View Post
    I like Iannetta but he'd only be a slight upgrade if that.Not to mention that the catcher position is just about the least of the Reds problems.

If he can keep the ball from going to the backstop on a regular basis, he's an upgrade over Razor Ramon.
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    Chip is right

I saw this too and was thinking about what it would take to acquire him as well. Maybe a prospect like Travis Wood?
    “I don’t care,” Votto said of passing his friend and former teammate. “He’s in the past. Bye-bye, Jay.”

I'd be willing to offer up Stubbs to see if that got it done. Iannetta is well above average with the bat and serviceable with the glove. He's Hanigan's foil, in other words, and would make a great platoon partner for him.

Perhaps a team like the Phillies or Detroit (along with Harang for Bonderman?) would offer up something useful for Hernandez?

Coors power, can take a walk, but his BA dropped alot last year. PLus they have Olivo, who has much more power. I doubt they are looking to move him.
    Dubito Ergo Cogito Ergo Sum.

Fangraphs' take: http://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/index...mote-iannetta/

Snippet:
    This is just another exercise in the dangers of using small sample sizes to evaluate player performances. Miguel Olivo is showing all of the problem signs that have resulted in a .279 career on base percentage and an 82 career wRC+. Olivo's BB% and K% of 4.3 and 35.6 respectively are right in line with his career marks, and his ridiculous .375 BABIP and 38.5% HR/FB rate are the only things keeping his line afloat. There's no way that he sustains this kind of production, and ZiPS suggest we can expect him to produce at his typical .287 OBP level for the rest of the season.

Iannetta, on the other hand, has managed to exhibit both power and discipline despite his major slump on balls in play. He still has an 11.8% walk rate, slightly above average, and his 18.2% HR/FB rate is right in line with his career numbers. As a player who hits a ton of fly balls, Iannetta is going to have a lower BABIP than most players – his career mark of .273 is 27 points below league average – but still, a .118 mark is completely unsustainable, and given time to work itself out, Iannetta would start hitting at his normal levels.
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

High five!

Quote Originally Posted by RedsManRick View Post
    The comments are eerily familiar!

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Hook View Post
    I don't know. Hernandez isn't very good. Ianetta & Hanigan would be a nice tandem.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

Quote Originally Posted by TRF View Post
    Coors power, can take a walk, but his BA dropped alot last year. PLus they have Olivo, who has much more power. I doubt they are looking to move him.
    Psych, Kid has legit power.
    "You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one."

--Woody Hayes

Quote Originally Posted by Mario-Rijo View Post
    Psych, Kid has legit power.
    Maybe, last year, nope. huge gap between home and road SLG. closer in 2008. Still young which is why they won't move him.
    Dubito Ergo Cogito Ergo Sum.

Quote Originally Posted by Scrap Irony View Post
    I'd be willing to offer up Stubbs to see if that got it done. Iannetta is well above average with the bat and serviceable with the glove. He's Hanigan's foil, in other words, and would make a great platoon partner for him.

Perhaps a team like the Phillies or Detroit (along with Harang for Bonderman?) would offer up something useful for Hernandez?
    Bonderman for Harang and Hernadez?

Bonderman?

Turn Off Ads?