Turn Off Ads?
Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567

Thread: Drew Stubbs: If this keeps up, what to do?

Stat Wanker Hodiernus RedsManRick's Avatar

Re: Drew Stubbs: If this keeps up, what to do?

Quote Originally Posted by TRF View Post
    Then explain his AA and AAA numbers. I'm not debating the potential, but rather the ability. His career bears that out.

Put it this way, as a professional, Stubbs has 37 career HR's in 4+ seasons. That's only 37 more than I have.
    I don't believe I ever said that he hit a lot of HR in the minor leagues. In fact, I said that he has yet to reliably convert his raw power in to realized power at the plate. I would say that in AA and AAA he was still modifying his swing trying to keep his contact rate up. In any event, players often develop their ability to hit for power in their mid to late 20's. But I don't know of anybody that went from a poor contact hitter to a great one.

I don't know that he'll ever hit for power. But I'd bet anybody $100 that Stubbs will have a 20 HR season before he has a .280+ average season -- unless they happen at the same time. And if he's not hitting .300, the Juan Pierre approach is a recipe for disaster.

I'm not saying he will succeed. I'm saying that if he does succeed, it will be in the mold of Cameron, not Pierre. And he should be handled accordingly. Leading him off is not putting him in a position to succeed.
    Last edited by RedsManRick; 04-30-2010 at 12:12 AM.
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Stubbs is a pleasure to watch on the bases. Seriously, how many "imaginary" points can we add to his OPS due to his baserunning/stealing ability....surely there is a stat for that.

Stat Wanker Hodiernus RedsManRick's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by kaldaniels View Post
    Stubbs is a pleasure to watch on the bases. Seriously, how many "imaginary" points can we add to his OPS due to his baserunning/stealing ability....surely there is a stat for that.
    You don't have to add it to his OPS, you can just count the runs. In most years, the best baserunners add in the neighborhood of 10-15 runs of production on the base paths.

http://www.baseballprospectus.com/st...php?cid=138836

Currently, Stubbs and Dickerson are tied for 7th in MLB at +1.3 runs.
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

Turn Off Ads?