Turn Off Ads?
Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 289101112

Thread: 4/27/10 Reds deep in the heart of Texas (Astros)

Re: 4/27/10 Reds deep in the heart of Texas (Astros)

I wonder how Stubb's speed will affect his UZR? He seems to make tough plays look very easy. On many plays that probably aren't in most CF's zone, he is camping under, waiting to fall into his glove. Have to think that the guys who judge him, will miss a few.
    "Imagination is more important than knowledge." -- Albert Einstein

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by VR View Post
    So this is what a ho-hum, no drama win looks like? I think I like it!
    This is the Reds biggest scoring differential in a win right?
    Quote Originally Posted by BuckeyeRed27 View Post
    Honest I can't say it any better than Hoosier Red did in his post, he sums it up basically perfectly.

Glad they won tonight....Roy (Owns Us) Oswalt tommorow. If we can steal one from him, I think we can get to .500 before sweeping the Cards this weekend.
    WE DON'T, WE DON'T, WE DON'T MESS AROUND HEY!

Quote Originally Posted by TheNext44 View Post
    I wonder how Stubb's speed will affect his UZR? He seems to make tough plays look very easy. On many plays that probably aren't in most CF's zone, he is camping under, waiting to fall into his glove. Have to think that the guys who judge him, will miss a few.
    I'm pretty sure that issue is not possible unless you are suggesting that the balls will be placed in the incorrect zone. It should be pretty easy to determine where the ball was caught irrespective of the fielder's position. At that point, it's just math. Really, that's the advantage of a system like UZR -- removing the subjectivity.
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

Flash the leather! _Sir_Charles_'s Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by fugowitribe View Post
    Glad they won tonight....Roy (Owns Us) Oswalt tommorow. If we can steal one from him, I think we can get to .500 before sweeping the Cards this weekend.
    Paulino's tomorrow night versus Leake. Oswalt's matched up with Arroyo on thursday

Joey Votto Fangirl HeatherC1212's Avatar

Roy pitches on Thursday. Paulino is tomorrow (according to Chris Welsh anyway).

I was terrified to post here tonight for fear that I would jinx the guys but I'll happily post something now that they got the win, LOL Great job by the guys tonight and I hope this is the start of a great road trip for them. WOOT!
    "I tried to play golf, but I found out I wasn't very good." -Joey Votto on his offseason hobby search

An MLB.com reporter asked what one thing Votto couldn’t do. “I can’t skate or play hockey,” Votto said. “Well, I can skate ... but I can’t stop.”

I hope this start gets Harang going in the right direction.

Quote Originally Posted by RedsManRick View Post
    I'm pretty sure that issue is not possible unless you are suggesting that the balls will be placed in the incorrect zone. It should be pretty easy to determine where the ball was caught irrespective of the fielder's position. At that point, it's just math. Really, that's the advantage of a system like UZR -- removing the subjectivity.
    Gotcha. Thanks for the clarification. I did not know how it was done.
    "Imagination is more important than knowledge." -- Albert Einstein

SERP deep cover ops WebScorpion's Avatar

I wish we could play the Astros every day. *sigh*

I guess Aaron has bought himself a few more starts...I hope he builds on this one.

"This field, this game, is a part of our past. It reminds us of all that once was good, and what could be again." -- Terence Mann

I'd love to see more games like this.
    “I don’t care,” Votto said of passing his friend and former teammate. “He’s in the past. Bye-bye, Jay.”

Quote Originally Posted by LincolnparkRed View Post
    Drew Stubbs 8
    Brandon Phillips 4
    Joey Votto 3
    Scott Rolen 5
    Jay Bruce 9
    Orlando Cabrera 6
    Jonny Gomes 7
    Ryan Hanigan 2
    Aaron Harang RHP

A little different look. Believe it or not, Phillips did not hit second at all last year. The other thing to note: This is Hanigan’s eighth start. Ramon Hernandez has 12. Hanigan started the year playing only one out of five days.
    I got to hand it to Dusty, he found a lineup I like about the only thing you could try to change is Drew but who do you put there? Hopefully he gives it a few days use. Get Brandon to go back to using the alleys rather than trying to kill everything and get Stubbs timing down with more fastballs. And with Gomes struggling still I like Cabrera in front of him (neither ideal but Cabrera has taken advantage of RBI opportunities). We shall see what tomorrow brings but tonight to Dusty.

My only question (not a complaint) why Cordero tonight when the tv guys said Rhodes was already warmed up?
    Last edited by Slyder; 04-28-2010 at 12:07 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by teamselig
    The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change, the realist adjusts the sails.

William Arthur Ward

nice win from the team & especially nice to see Harang pitch well. i thought Dusty was smart to remove him after 6 IP & ~100 pitches. he gets a win & a nice confidence boost.

this was the type of game i thought we would see all season. good pitching. nice defense (except for yet another 'hit' past Cabrera) & the offense piecing together a few runs.

this was for me the most enjoyable game i have watched all season.

Titanic Struggles Caveat Emperor's Avatar

Liked the lineup.

Liked the overall result even moreso.
    Cincinnati Reds: Farm System Champions 2022

Quote Originally Posted by RedsManRick View Post
    You're obviously correct that it's a matter of placing it in the correct zone, but I feel there is some subjectivity to that. With enough slices splitting the outfield, and gauging depth, I can see there being some tough calls as to which zone a catch is awarded to in some situations.

Make no mistake, I think UZR is actually a pretty reliable tool with enough of a sample. But I wouldn't say there's no subjectivity to it.
    "No matter how good you are, you're going to lose one-third of your games. No matter how bad you are you're going to win one-third of your games. It's the other third that makes the difference." ~Tommy Lasorda

I hope Dusty keeps Votto, Rolen and Bruce in the middle of the lineup.

Turn Off Ads?