Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Nice to see Phillips wave to the camera

Nice to see Phillips wave to the camera

You get picked off due to not paying attention a day or two after being called on the carpet by your manager and what to you do when you get back to the dugout? Throw your helmet? Swear? If you're Brandon Phillips, you simply wave to the camera. Why do I care so much when the people being paid millions to play care so little?

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Nice to see Phillips wave to the camera

Yeah I wasn't too crazy about him waving to the camera like that. But I can't say I enjoy seeing Jonny Gomes swear and slam his bat into the ground every time he pops out. I like seeing emotion, but players need to maintain calm demeanor. B Phil isn't the type of player to get super upset over something like that.

The Franchise does not care what any manager has to say

I agree, I thought it was absurd that he was waving at the camera after he was picked off. Especially with the epidemic this team has had going on with that. Give me a guy who shows emotion and throws a tantrum any day, at least you know it bothers them.

Quote Originally Posted by mroby85 View Post
    Give me a guy who shows emotion and throws a tantrum any day, at least you know it bothers them.
    So I bet you're mad they got rid of Alex Gonzalez.

Bench him for not 1 but 2 games. Janish is batting .456 and is as good defensively.

Quote Originally Posted by sivman17 View Post
    So I bet you're mad they got rid of Alex Gonzalez.
    Using the argument this way, it could go back and forth all night, and turn into a 2nd grade argument, eg. I bet you were mad when they got rid of David Ross, but to answer your question, I wasn't upset when they got rid of Alex Gonzalez. However, if someone has equal talent, I would prefer them to have the mentality of Joey Votto, as opposed to someone like Adam Dunn.

I knew there'd be a Dunn reference somewhere in this thread.

Phillips isn't even in the same stratosphere as Adam Dunn. Phillips has had an OPS above .800 once in his career - ONCE. His career OPS is .739. Dunn has a .901 OPS for his entire career.

Dunn may have been a laid back guy but his offensive numbers were always there at the end of the day. He is/was one of the most misunderstood and underappreciated Reds players of all time.

There are long periods of time where Brandon Phillips is an offensive black hole for the team - if he's not slugging then he's not doing anything, he brings absolutely no OBP skills to the table. At least with Dunn, you knew his OBP wasn't going anywhere even if he was swinging like crap.

Yea when he wasnt slugging he was still being awful in the field. I mean its stupid to play this compare one guy bash another guy game. Phillips and Dunn shouldnt be compared 1:1. Phillips brings great D, Dunn brought a good bat. Phillips is looked to for more offense than he should be asked to bring. Phillips in the 2 hole is an experiment that should last for a few weeks.

I wasn't necessarily comparing them 1:1, I was mainly replying to the poster who compared them 1:1.

For what it's worth, I don't even like Phillips in the 2-hole. He's not a good "bat handler" and he doesn't bring on-base skills to the plate so why is he hitting 2nd?

He's much more of a 7th hitter if you go by his skillset. I'd say the only reason he's getting tried out in the 2-hole is because Dusty "respects him, dude". Didn't Phillips say once he didn't care about where he hit as long as it was in the first 4 spots? I may be wrong about that.

But I could care less about the guy's ego. He's a 7th hitter.

I dont have an issue with him trying him in the 2 hole. could he hit 7th and be fine also sure. I'm just saying comparing his bat to a LFers bat is just as wrong as comparing a LFs glove to Brandons glove. In the end the whole package is what matters. I know which one is more valuable but it doesnt even matter to say it.

To clarify I wasn't comparing the game of Brandon Phillips to the game of Adam Dunn at all, I was comparing their attitudes when they fail. Saying I'd prefer someone like Joey Votto who is clearly upset when he fails. Just wanted to clear that up since this turned into a Dunn/Phillips production comparison. In my opinion they're completely different types of players that cant be compared. Phillips does more things well than Dunn overall, but Dunn had way bigger power numbers, and was more of a threat to drive in runs.

Turn Off Ads?