Valaika 2B	3	1	1	1	0	0	0	1	1	.328
    Castillo 3B	4	1	1	0	0	0	0	0	0	.235
    Frazier LF	2	0	0	0	0	0	1	0	0	.146
    Miller C	3	1	1	0	0	0	1	1	0	.270

Player	        IP	H	R	ER	BB	SO	HR	ERA
    Chapman 	6.0	5	3	2	2	4	2	1.29
    Del Rosario 	2.0	2	2	2	0	1	1	2.84

Re: 4/28/2010 Minor League Game Updates

Four more games, four more losses. This has gotten old early.

On April 11, the Reds' four farm teams were 13-3. Since then, they're 17-46. Good golly.

Nice start by Chapman. Not a dominating start but a solid one - it was nice to see him throw more strikes tonight. Only two walks in 6 IP and 64 strikes out of 99 pitches.
    Last edited by OnBaseMachine; 04-28-2010 at 11:23 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by OnBaseMachine View Post
    Nice start by Chapman. Not a dominating start by very solid - it was nice to see him throw more strikes tonight. Only two walks in 6 IP and 64 strikes out of 99 pitches.
    Agree. Chapman's strikes percentage is the best news of the night.

Oh, and he was pitching in less than ideal conditions too, as it was very windy and cold. Having played in Cuba, he's never pitched in conditions like that.

I think its about time for some roster shakeups at all the minor league levels. If guys don't perform then ship them out. Get someone in that might!
    Last edited by billy bob; 04-29-2010 at 08:56 AM.

On April 11, the Reds' four farm teams were 13-3. Since then, they're 17-46. Good golly.
    I have a feeling the system's far more pedestrian than I realized.

Quote Originally Posted by lollipopcurve View Post
    I have a feeling the system's far more pedestrian than I realized.

Unfortunately this seems like the lesson so far this season. There may have to be a lot of rethinking about who'll be where in Cinti in the future.

A piece of sky just landed on my foot.

The Bats will be in the playoffs. Below that, the teams may not be contenders but there will be strong players.

A piece of sky just landed on my foot.

The Bats will be in the playoffs. Below that, the teams may not be contenders but there will be strong players.
    Not really the issue. The issue is, how good are the best players in the system? Are they major league starters? The awful starts of most of the system's top hitters has to give one pause at the moment. April is a small sample, but in my opinion it's a bad sign that Frazier and Francisco have fallen off a cliff and Alonso remains mired in mediocrity -- while each of them still searches for a defensive home.

Louisville being a good AAA team means relatively little. And we know that the talent in A and AA is questionable anyway, with no premium prospect to be seen.

Look, I'm a big booster of the minor league guys, and I felt going into the season that the Reds had a top 10 system, easily. But 17-46, with top guys really scuffling, may be a waker-upper. And it's not like there haven't been other opinions out there saying the system is unremarkable. Maybe I was wrong and they were right. We'll see.

Quote Originally Posted by lollipopcurve View Post
    Not really the issue. The issue is, how good are the best players in the system? Are they major league starters? The awful starts of most of the system's top hitters has to give one pause at the moment. April is a small sample, but in my opinion it's a bad sign that Frazier and Francisco have fallen off a cliff and Alonso remains mired in mediocrity -- while each of them still searches for a defensive home.

Louisville being a good AAA team means relatively little. And we know that the talent in A and AA is questionable anyway, with no premium prospect to be seen.

Look, I'm a big booster of the minor league guys, and I felt going into the season that the Reds had a top 10 system, easily. But 17-46, with top guys really scuffling, may be a waker-upper. And it's not like there haven't been other opinions out there saying the system is unremarkable. Maybe I was wrong and they were right. We'll see.
    The only impact guys are Chapman and Alonso. Cozart may be a starter since he has the defense and the offensive bar at SS is low. Mesoraco is coming forward at an area of need. The others are all role players. Valaika and Frazier are supersubs in the making (but could be really good ones), Dorn is Matt Stairs if all goes well. Francisco is the big question mark. Heisey may be decent if he can handle CF, but his bat may be a little lite for a corner. He and Dickerson may make a decent CF platoon, but Stubbs still may claim it as his own. Maybe Hesiey/Alonso could replace Gomes/Nix as the power platoon for LF.

The rest are depth guys and there could be lots of it with Klinker, Lecure, Maloney, Wood, Ondrusek, Valiquette, etc. The other strength area seems like LHRP where I think Thurman and Joseph could be real assets in a year or two. The team has the makings of a decent package for a proven guy or two or some guys to throw in to go with a contract at the deadline if the team is inclined to move Harang, Arroyo etc.

I'm pretty skeptical of the AA and A+ talent, though I do like Matt Fairel in addition to Klinker, Mesoraco, Thurman and Alonso.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

We do need to remember our first round pick from last year went right through to the majors. System would certainly look more potent if Leake hadn't done that.

Turn Off Ads?