Turn Off Ads?
Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: What to do with Brandon Phillips

Re: What to do with Brandon Phillips

Quote Originally Posted by OnBaseMachine View Post
    From John Fay - Baker throws Phillips under the bus

http://cincinnati.com/blogs/reds/201...under-the-bus/

I like Phillips, he's a good player, but he has got to stop doing this.

From last season:

Baker unhappy with Phillips

It will be very interesting to check out the Reds lineup on Tuesday and see if Brandon Phillips is in it.

Phillips was caught not hustling again on what he expected to be a routine fly out in the first inning. The ball was lost in the sky by right fielder Andre Ethier. Because he wasn't running hard out of the batters' box, Phillips missed a chance for a RBI double that would have put him on second with no outs and a 3-0 Reds lead.

"I was just happy I finally did something with runners in scoring position," Phillips explained. "I hit a fly ball to get the run and I was satisfied with that. I hit the ball in the outfield and was 'I missed it.' I put my head down. I didn't know he missed it until I looked back up. I could have done worse and not get the run in at all."

Moments later, Phillips admitted his mistake.

"I messed up," he said. "That's my second time not hustling this year. It won't happen again."

Full story: http://marksheldon.mlblogs.com/archi..._phillips.html

2. Turn Off Ads?

From C. Trent's twitter:

Asked Dusty should Phillips have had a triple in 3rd? "Probably"

http://twitter.com/ctrent

When will Phillips learn? How many times have we seen him jog out of the box after thinking he's hit a home run? I also thought he should have been on third base. Votto followed Phillips double with a deep flyout, so if Phillips had been on third he would've scored. Failing to get that run in turned out to be huge as the Reds lost the game by one run.
    From John Fay - Baker throws Phillips under the bus

http://cincinnati.com/blogs/reds/201...under-the-bus/

I like Phillips, he's a good player, but he has got to stop doing this.
    Not defending him, even though I like Brandon, because I am on record as saying how I prefer players who hustle. But this is a problem that is not unique to Phillips--it is pervasive throughout baseball, and not just on the Reds. (I will decline to mention a very prominent perpetrator in a Reds uniform over the last ten years or so.) In fact, players like Scott Rolen and Joey Votto, who hustle out of the box every time, seem to be the exception rather than the rule.
    Eric Stratton, Rush Chairman. Damn glad to meet ya.

Quote Originally Posted by edabbs44 View Post
    Wonder if you see Janish "spelling" him tomorrow. IIRC, Dusty hasn't been afraid to bench BP in the past.
    I would be a little surprised, because I look for Cabrera and Rolen to both get the day off tomorrow (day game after a night game). So Janish would be at SS, and Cairo would be at 3B.
    Eric Stratton, Rush Chairman. Damn glad to meet ya.

I like Brandon Phillips but I have to admit he is one of the biggest hot dogs to ever wear a Cincinnati Reds uniform.

If Brandon played for any other team in the league Reds Fans would hate him.

I'm pretty pro Phillips, mostly because I love his defense.

But I actually would trade him as soon as possible. Literally.

I agree with Big Klu that most players don't break out of the box every time, but there is no excuse for looking at what you think is a home run, even if it is a homer every time.

As a teacher, I had a rule about students who said that this would never happen again, for the second time. No more chances, no more excuses, full punishment this time, and even worse if it happens again.

I've lost count of how many times this has happened to Phillips. Admitting he made a mistake is meaningless now, he has to pay a price for his behavior, and a one game benching won't do.

Trade him. I am sure the Reds can get good value for him, considering he's underpaid this year, and properly paid next season. But it doesn't matter who they get, he has become a liability. He is costing the team wins, but more importantly, he is hurting the moral of the team. Why play hard if other players are going to lose games by not playing hard? I'd don't think the Reds can compete with Phillips on the team anymore.

Trade him and call up Valaika.
    "Imagination is more important than knowledge." -- Albert Einstein

You don't trade him. That hurts the team more than what he is doing.

It's pretty simple, everytime he does something like tonight, you fine him. The more he does it, the more you fine him. Hit him where it hurts.

Quote Originally Posted by CTA513 View Post
    From last season:
    I'm not even going to blame Phillips for that. 90% of players in the majors wouldn't have been running hard on a routine flyball to the OF.

Welcome to baseball in the 2000's.

Quote Originally Posted by TheNext44 View Post
    I'm pretty pro Phillips, mostly because I love his defense.

But I actually would trade him as soon as possible. Literally.

I agree with Big Klu that most players don't break out of the box every time, but there is no excuse for looking at what you think is a home run, even if it is a homer every time.

As a teacher, I had a rule about students who said that this would never happen again, for the second time. No more chances, no more excuses, full punishment this time, and even worse if it happens again.

I've lost count of how many times this has happened to Phillips. Admitting he made a mistake is meaningless now, he has to pay a price for his behavior, and a one game benching won't do.

Trade him. I am sure the Reds can get good value for him, considering he's underpaid this year, and properly paid next season. But it doesn't matter who they get, he has become a liability. He is costing the team wins, but more importantly, he is hurting the moral of the team. Why play hard if other players are going to lose games by not playing hard? I'd don't think the Reds can compete with Phillips on the team anymore.

Trade him and call up Valaika.
    I believe most would say Phillips will be over paid in 2011.

I'd trade Phillips and/or Rhodes as soon as I could for as much as I could get in return, before their value plummets.

I liked how the Sheldon phrases it......

In a one-run loss, the difference doesn't always have to be the home run in the top of the ninth -- like the one Rod Barajas hit for the Mets against Francisco Cordero to send the Reds to a 5-4 loss on Tuesday.

Sometimes it's the run that didn't score but could have, or should have.

http://cincinnati.reds.mlb.com/news/...=.jsp&c_id=cin

Next batter Joey Votto hit a deep fly to left field. Had Phillips been on third base, he likely would have scored on the sacrifice fly. Although the Reds didn't know it then, it would be the one run they wished they had scored.

----------

This is Brandon Phillips. How many times has he done stuff like this, and even been called out on it by his manager? He's everything that everyone has accused him of.... a hot dog, ego, attitude, chip on his shoulder, etc.

You're not going to change the guy. Why should he have to change (in his mind)? He got his big contract. He's won a GG. He's made it baby!

One minute he's turning heads with his defense at 2B... and the next, turning heads because he's not using his.
    "In my day you had musicians who experimented with drugs. Now it's druggies experimenting with music" - Alfred G Clark (circa 1972)

I've been pretty critical of BP, mostly for his plate approach, and I think we should trade him if we can. But I don't think this was a big deal, maybe he could have been at third maybe not, I'm more concerned with whether or not he continues to hit balls off the wall.
    "I know a lot about the law and various other lawyerings."

Hitters who avoid outs are the funnest.

Quote Originally Posted by Far East View Post
    Has anybody else noticed a decrease in his range on defense, or is it just my imagination?
    Quote Originally Posted by RANDY IN CHAR NC View Post
    Just watching him and his actions, he looks like he is in an "All-out pout," right now.
    Opening day there was a play in one of the early innings (whatever was the first run scoring inning for the Cards) where it *appeared* that Brandon could have gotten to the ball, or at the very least, kept it from the outfield. My father and I both noticed it. Maybe there was no chance in the world of him getting to it but it sure looked like a dog of a play.

One play, that means nothing in the grand scheme of things but something is different about Brandon this year and frankly I think it's between his ears more than between the lines.

High five!

Quote Originally Posted by reds44 View Post
    You don't trade him. That hurts the team more than what he is doing.
    How can you say this without knowing the return?

Phillips will be very difficult to trade. He makes 11M next year and 12M in 2012 (a trade triggers a mutual option on that 12M). The only way the Reds can deal will be to eat salary and/or to take on a similar contract the other team is anxious to unload.

Milton Bradley, anyone?
    Last edited by lollipopcurve; 05-05-2010 at 08:55 AM.

High five!

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Madden View Post
    I believe most would say Phillips will be over paid in 2011.
    Actually, based on what a win costs in FA and if BP plays roughly like he has over the past 3 years, he _will_ be worth it.

However, I'd be shopping him.

Turn Off Ads?