Turn Off Ads?
Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 678910

Thread: What to do with Brandon Phillips

Re: What to do with Brandon Phillips

I don't think it matters as much what we think as it does what his peers think.

Whatever you think of Dusty, his sensibilities on "the right way to play the game" are time honored and accepted across the board in mlb, IMO. We don't need to invoke the spirit of Pete Rose on this one.

I can't imagine a situation where his behavior helps us. I can imagine plenty of situations where it would cause either himself or one of his teammates to get plunked.

Grow up, Brandon
    We'll go down in history as the first society that wouldn't save itself because it wasn't cost effective ~ Kurt Vonnegut

2. Turn Off Ads?

All these guys make a WHOLE LOT of money - and even though they might be veterans, they are still young, at least from my perspective. Yes, clearly Brandon needs to reel it all in; the showboating, the bad base running, the reckless swings... but I wonder how far he will fall before he realizes that (if ever...) What can we do? nothing. I'm certain that Walt will trade any piece to improve the team, so 'nuff said.

Quote Originally Posted by RFS62 View Post
    I don't think it matters as much what we think as it does what his peers think.

Whatever you think of Dusty, his sensibilities on "the right way to play the game" are time honored and accepted across the board in mlb, IMO. We don't need to invoke the spirit of Pete Rose on this one.

I can't imagine a situation where his behavior helps us. I can imagine plenty of situations where it would cause either himself or one of his teammates to get plunked.

Grow up, Brandon
    Well said.

For the record I think Gomes looks like an idiot when he takes his monster hack and stares down him routine flyball to LF. And I really don't mind even BP taking a look at a bomb, but the HR on Wed was a wallscraper and I really have never seen him act like on a HR. I watched it again and again and it was like he saluted the ball once it left the yard. It struck me as a moment for him to let everyone know that he's the man and for people to back off. I like BP as a player and I don't mind some flash, but he's struggling at the plate and he's got people on his back so he's going to let people know when he does something good.

I really hate the conversation about hustle... Because you don't know if guys are injured or if they really think they are hustling. BPs seems to get people on his back because of the times when he shows off and things don't end up working out like he had planned.

And one last note, about the BP and Rolen comments regarding getting picked off. This is where I can't defend BP... In Houston, Brandon was picked off. When he got to the dugout he noticed the camera was on him and he smirked and waved. I don't know what to make of that or what he was thinking, but I guarantee he would be the only guy on that team that would do such a thing after getting picked off.

I'm not sure why this has to be complicated. Dusty simply has to say this and then follow up on it.

"Any guy who stares at a batted ball instead of busting tail down the 1B line is not getting off the bench the next day. And when the media ask why you're not playing, I plan on telling the truth."

Fight fire with fire and hit those guys where it hurts, their ego. Let's see a hot dog handles his teammates and the press after riding the pine because he couldn't be bothered enough to run. I did noticed that Votto busted it around the bats during his HR the other night; it was almost Rosalesesque.
    Last edited by RedsManRick; 05-07-2010 at 12:59 PM.
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

Quote Originally Posted by RedsManRick View Post
    I'm not sure why this has to be complicated. Dusty simply has to say this and then follow up on it.

"Any guy who stares at a batted ball instead of busting tail down the 1B line is not getting off the bench the next day. And when the media ask why you're not playing, I plan on telling the truth."

Fight fire with fire and hit those guys where it hurts, their ego. Let's see a hot dog handles his teammates and the press after riding the pine because he couldn't be bothered enough to run. I did noticed that Votto busted it around the bats during his HR the other night; it was almost Rosalesesque.

I've grown tired of Brandon's game and antics. Package him with Homer. Sold to the first taker, yard sale prices.
    "Rounding 3rd and heading for home, good night everybody"

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    Gomes stared at a 250 foot fly ball the other day. Literally, the left fielder came in to catch the ball. Where was the outrage?
    It's different when somebody who looks like Gomes does it.

Quote Originally Posted by traderumor View Post
    I've grown tired of Brandon's game and antics. Package him with Homer. Sold to the first taker, yard sale prices.
    I love Brandon Phillips. Let's extend him. When Brandon bad, he bad. When Brandon good, he good.
    "Rounding 3rd and heading for home, good night everybody"

Turn Off Ads?