Turn Off Ads?
Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 LastLast

Thread: What to do with Brandon Phillips

Re: What to do with Brandon Phillips

What is he supposed to say, "i'm gonna stare at every ball I hit?"

He is what he is. He's a lot of flash, but he's also one of the best players we have. Just gotta take the good with the bad.

2. Turn Off Ads?
    BobC, get a legit F.O.! Mario-Rijo's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    Sure, it does happen to him. Just like it happens to everyone. Joey Votto does it. Albert Pujols does it (all the time actually). People in this town just throw a fit over it more than other places because Pete "I cheated the Reds organization and fans out of so much by being selfish" Rose always hustled and this town fell in love with him. They now expect everyone to do it. That isn't how it works. Everyone short of Adam Rosales jogs on fly balls they know are going to be caught and a whole lot of people don't bust it out of the box on balls they think they hit out of the park.
    IIRC Votto rounded the bases on his late inning HR last night like a track star same thing with Rolen.
    "You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one."

--Woody Hayes

Unsolicited Opinions traderumor's Avatar

I have seen Votto stand at home plate and watch a fence scraper. I laugh whenever Dusty says he talked to Brandon after one of these incidents. Either accept it or trade him, Reds. But please quit acting like the meatball that Cordero served up to Barajas wasn't the difference in the game and quit the if-dog-rabbit games.
    Can't win with 'em

Can't win without 'em

You know other's have mentioned that Brandon Phillips just doesn't look like the same old happy go-lucky Brandon Phillips and I think there's a parallel to another excellent athlete with some diva traits.

Just like Chad Ochocinco found out about 2 years ago, no not everyone likes a clown, especially when he's not producing, Phillips has found that not everyone likes his "act."
    I think this has actually affected him in the field as he's sulking a bit. Just like Chad found out though, the way to people's hearts is through the play on the field. He can do all he wants so long as he produces. If he doesn't produce than all these negatives get magnified.
    When people say that I donít know what Iím talking about when it comes to sports or writing, I think: Man, you should see me in the rest of my life.
    ---Joe Posnanski

I like Brandon Phillips, he has a ton of talent and is a great defensive 2nd baseman.

It's just that I sometimes wonder about his Baseball IQ and if he would be worth 23 million dollars to this club over the next two years.

That's my humble and honest opinion, sue me.

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    Sure, it does happen to him. Just like it happens to everyone. Joey Votto does it. Albert Pujols does it (all the time actually). People in this town just throw a fit over it more than other places because Pete "I cheated the Reds organization and fans out of so much by being selfish" Rose always hustled and this town fell in love with him. They now expect everyone to do it. That isn't how it works. Everyone short of Adam Rosales jogs on fly balls they know are going to be caught and a whole lot of people don't bust it out of the box on balls they think they hit out of the park.
    I think Rosales looks like a clown running around the bases like he does. And I do think that the Pete Rose stereotype has hurt the perception of many good baseball players in this town.

That said what Phillips does is unacceptable. I could live with it once or twice but with Phillips it happens all the time. It happened Tuesday and then Wednesday after getting talked to. Brandon has the ability to be a great player but his antics prevent that from happening. Its why Cleveland gave up on him prematurely and its what we are seeing here in Cincinnati.

Is it too much for fans to ask a player makes the most of his abilities? Is it too much for a fan to expect BP to delay his HR trot until the ball clears the wall? Heck your not even to 1st base by the time most balls clear the wall. Is it too much to ask for Phillips to play like the same kid who was playing for his baseball life instead of the Phillips who is playing like a NFL WR?

Actually I think Dusty put it fairly well. An "A" student giving a "B" performance.

I say that fully acknowledging that I'm basing my opinion on a couple of events that may or may not be a fair representation of his actual mindset.
    a super volcano of ridonkulous suckitude.

I simply don't have access to a "cares about RBI" place in my psyche. There is a "mildly curious about OBI%" alcove just before the acid filled lake guarded by robot snipers with lasers which leads to the "cares about RBI" antechamber though. - Nate

Some players actions on the field scream "look at me, look at me". I prefer the Scott Rolen approach, myself.

Win the game first. Play smart on every play. Never let your ego cost you a base or your team a run.

Doesn't seem very complicated.
    "Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover."
    ~ Mark Twain

Who cares about all this stuff? In the end if his numbers are good, that's all that matters. "Good guys", whatever that is, doesn't translate into wins. Give me guys that can play, and BP can play.

Quote Originally Posted by RFS62 View Post
    Some players actions on the field scream "look at me, look at me". I prefer the Scott Rolen approach, myself.

Win the game first. Play smart on every play. Never let your ego cost you a base or your team a run.

Doesn't seem very complicated.
    That is the way a veteran team leader should play the game. You cannot proclaim yourself a leader. Your actions and habits, before and during the game, will establish that position.
    Talent is God Given: be humble.
    Fame is man given: be thankful.
    Conceit is self given: be careful.

John Wooden

Quote Originally Posted by RANDY IN CHAR NC View Post
    That is the way a veteran team leader should play the game. You cannot proclaim yourself a leader. Your actions and habits, before and during the game, will establish that position.

Yep. And every leader isn't the same. Some are "rah-rah", some are quite.

Henry Aaron was asked once why he wasn't more vocal.

He said "I let my bat do the talking".
    "Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover."
    ~ Mark Twain

When Brandon was drafted he reported he didn't know Montreal had a team (of course this is when they had a team).

Is tasering an option?
    a super volcano of ridonkulous suckitude.

I simply don't have access to a "cares about RBI" place in my psyche. There is a "mildly curious about OBI%" alcove just before the acid filled lake guarded by robot snipers with lasers which leads to the "cares about RBI" antechamber though. - Nate

Quote Originally Posted by Ltlabner View Post
    Is tasering an option?
    Never. Perhaps a timeout?

It's a strength of Baker to handle a personality like Phillips. Let Baker talk to him, and let Brandon play.

The Cincy beat guys vulture BP -- they don't like him, and they'll magnify his faults. I don't make their grudges mine.
    "Baseball is a very, very complex business. It's more of a people business than most businesses." - Bob Castellini

Turn Off Ads?