Turn Off Ads?
Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst ... 345678910 LastLast

Thread: What to do with Brandon Phillips

Re: What to do with Brandon Phillips

How do solve a problem like Brandon?

I am thinking a tour as the governess to six vocally talented children in Austria. Singing not optional.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by lollipopcurve View Post
    It's a strength of Baker to handle a personality like Phillips. Let Baker talk to him, and let Brandon play.

Yes, but Dusty has talked to him about this before and it still happens. Dusty even sat him down for a game after a similar incident but it still happens.

However, this doesn't make him a bad person or a bad player. We're not talking about running out ground balls to 2nd base. We're talking about fly balls to the OF. He can always break out his home run trot once he sees it's going to clear the wall. Brandon's always talking about being a leader but that's not what leaders do.
    The Rally Onion wants 150 fans before Opening Day.

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Rally-...24872650873160

Phillips does so many things well. He is a very talented individual. He really doesn't have to put on the "theatrics" to be noticed. At one time, there was a "code," a way to act and play on the field that was passed down from veteran leaders. The younger players looked to those players for guidance in the game. The code, and respect for that code, has virtually disappeared. Guys like Rolen were once the norm. Not anymore. The "look at me" attitude has replaced it.
    Talent is God Given: be humble.
    Fame is man given: be thankful.
    Conceit is self given: be careful.

John Wooden

The really sad thing about the "look at me" attitude that is prevalent today is that it filters down into the ranks of the younger kids. They emulate what they see. We had a 12 year old stand between home and first and watch the ball as he hit a homerun. It took nearly 2 minutes for him to get around the bases, and as he crossed the plate, he stared at our pitcher. It was very ugly, and I felt really bad for the kid and his coaches. They didn't seem to mind. After the inning, I went out to coach first base and the umpire walked up to me and said, "That was very disappointing, wasn't it?" I just shook my head.

John Wooden

I'm not sure that I agree with the "filter down" assessment, whether you're talking about major leaguers or little leaguers...IMO its not up to the players hold others accountable, its up to the manager. When playing college ball, and playing at other levels, I was never a fan of guys that were so called leaders. You played hard because it was the right thing to do and you knew that if you didn't it would show and you would find yourself watching. Dusty wants to win and he knows BP is a player he needs, so he's not going to sit him although he should. But IMO, coaches not teammates are the people that need to enforce the style of play.

Also, I have MLB Network on and I just seen the highlights from yesterdays game and I couldn't be more disgusted with BP. Forget not running out of the box, his actions going around 1st base was basically like giving the finger to Dusty and the media... even though that's an out in just about every other park. BP is a guy that is worried about how he looks and how much "dap" he gets for looking so cool on the field. The Reds need him and they need his talent, but his attitude is that of an NFL WR... He's a diva and is only going to play hard when he thinks it benefits him to do so!
    I know a lot of people are talking about his on-base percentage (.308 in 2008), but I like to think more in terms of him his in-scoring position percentage. - Our Beloved Manager

Totally agree with the accountability issue, but it not only filters down to the kids, but to the folks that are in charge of them.

John Wooden

Quote Originally Posted by Nasty_Boy View Post
    Also, I have MLB Network on and I just seen the highlights from yesterdays game and I couldn't be more disgusted with BP. Forget not running out of the box, his actions going around 1st base was basically like giving the finger to Dusty and the media... even though that's an out in just about every other park.

I missed that. What did he do?
    The Rally Onion wants 150 fans before Opening Day.

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Rally-...24872650873160

Quote Originally Posted by bucksfan2 View Post
    I think Rosales looks like a clown running around the bases like he does. And I do think that the Pete Rose stereotype has hurt the perception of many good baseball players in this town.

That said what Phillips does is unacceptable. I could live with it once or twice but with Phillips it happens all the time. It happened Tuesday and then Wednesday after getting talked to. Brandon has the ability to be a great player but his antics prevent that from happening. Its why Cleveland gave up on him prematurely and its what we are seeing here in Cincinnati.

Is it too much for fans to ask a player makes the most of his abilities? Is it too much for a fan to expect BP to delay his HR trot until the ball clears the wall? Heck your not even to 1st base by the time most balls clear the wall. Is it too much to ask for Phillips to play like the same kid who was playing for his baseball life instead of the Phillips who is playing like a NFL WR?
    Cleveland gave up on him because he was out of options and had hit .206/.246/.310 for them in the majors in 432 at bats.

As for asking to make the most of ones abilities, no, it isn't. And I do think its a bit much to throw a fit when a guy doesn't run out a ball, whether its a groundball to short, a weak fly to right or a 390 foot double off the wall, when nearly everyone does it. Where are all of the people at when Jonny Gomes does it on every fly ball he hits? He stops his swing and stares at it. Every time. I don't see threads devoted to him about it.

Sure, it would be great if every player ran as hard as they could on every ball they put in play. But it just doesn't happen with 99% of the players in the game. I venture that even 50-75% of the guys in baseball go into a jog on balls they think they got all of but didn't hit 450 feet.

Its just how BP is. Like many have said, he's a good player and I'm glad the Reds have him. He just does a few things every so often that drives people (including me) nuts.

The problem with hustle is that it has to be ingrained in the way you play. An unthinking habit instilled from when you first starting playing. If you have to think about it and remember to do it, at some time you're going to forget and at some time its going to make you look bad when you forget.

Pay attention to the open sky

Quote Originally Posted by Chip R View Post
    I missed that. What did he do?
    Well, after he stared down his pop fly like he hit the thing 450 ft... He started his lil sideways trot and did his big wide clap, then he started patting himself on the helmet... It was the last thing he should have been doing after the last few days, IMO. It looked classless and arrogant. It was the video from the Mets feed, so I don't know if its available online or not.
    I know a lot of people are talking about his on-base percentage (.308 in 2008), but I like to think more in terms of him his in-scoring position percentage. - Our Beloved Manager

I don't mind a guy taking a look at a clear no doubter, and I don't mind a guy pulling up on routine grounder to the 2nd baseman. I understand that over the course of 162 that guys are going to wear down, and I was never a big fan of Ryan Freel's fake hustle. My problem is when he's pulling a look at me instead of playing hard. He played with hustle, fire, and passion when the Reds acquired him from Cleveland because he knew he was given a chance to finally stick and to rehab his image. He did that, but now that he's established and getting paid, he wants fame and recognition. He wants to hear his name with Chase Utley and Robbie Cano... He wants the All-Star games and the Gold Gloves... There's nothing wrong with those things, but he's forgot how he played and how he acted when he was fighting with Tony Womack for the 2B job for the Cincinnati Reds.

Yes, but Dusty has talked to him about this before and it still happens. Dusty even sat him down for a game after a similar incident but it still happens.
    True. He's got to keep sending the message.

However, this doesn't make him a bad person or a bad player. We're not talking about running out ground balls to 2nd base. We're talking about fly balls to the OF. He can always break out his home run trot once he sees it's going to clear the wall. Brandon's always talking about being a leader but that's not what leaders do.
    Agree. The team has some real leaders now, so it's not as much of a concern. But let's not pretend Phillips is a major distraction. He loafs on occasion, but he doesn't pop off in the media and he plays every day. Last year he played hurt a lot. There are some positive "intangibles" in there, too, if you look at it objectively.

His offenses are chronic, but they're relatively minor. And in the big picture of what he brings to the team, the guy remains a bonafide asset.
    "Baseball is a very, very complex business. It's more of a people business than most businesses." - Bob Castellini

Dusty on Phillips's home run yesterday:

ĖBaker noticed that Brandon Phillips didnít run out of the box in his home run in the sixth. ďI guess Iím going to have to talk to him again. . . Iíve done more than talk to him.Ē

http://cincinnati.com/blogs/reds/201...ostgame-notes/
    I miss Adam Dunn.

Quote Originally Posted by OnBaseMachine View Post
    Dusty on Phillips's home run yesterday:

ĖBaker noticed that Brandon Phillips didnít run out of the box in his home run in the sixth. ďI guess Iím going to have to talk to him again. . . Iíve done more than talk to him

http://cincinnati.com/blogs/reds/201...ostgame-notes/
    What's that suppose to mean?
    Most Vottomatic Player

Quote Originally Posted by Degenerate39 View Post
    What's that suppose to mean?
    out to the tool shed.
    Suck it up cupcake.

Turn Off Ads?