Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Have you ever taken a counteroffer from your employer?

Have you ever taken a counteroffer from your employer?

Kind of a spin-off from the "turning down a higher paying job" thread...does anyone have feelings one way or the other regarding taking a counteroffer after resigning? I'm currently going through that now and I know that, historically, it was taboo to take a counter. But I think that times are different now. Also, I took one counter in the past and it was the best decision I ever made in my life.

Any thoughts?

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Danger is my business! oneupper's Avatar

Re: Have you ever taken a counteroffer from your employer?

This kind of thing boils down to what people are going to think about you afterwards.
    So think about how much you actually care about that (or not) and do what you think is best for you.
    People will grumble and mumble and say its unprofessional, but in a year or two nobody remembers anything. Life in businessville goes on.
    "A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky, dangerous animals and you know it."

http://dalmady.blogspot.com

I know people who have taken the counteroffer. I've also seen people leave one job for a better one with another company and end up going back to the old employer for and even better offer a few years later. If your employer views you as a valuable asset to the company, I think it's a good thing. On the other hand, if your employer is just making a counter to prevent you from going to a competitor, then maybe it's not so great. I think you need to think about the motives behind the counter.
    Wear gaudy colors, or avoid display. Lay a million eggs or give birth to one. The fittest shall survive, yet the unfit may live. Be like your ancestors or be different. We must repeat!

Retired

I read somewhere that most people who accept a counter offer usually end up leaving the company within 6 months.

The problem will be your boss and others knew you were ready to leave, and it will be stuck in the back of thier minds that you might do it again.

Our M.O. is to wish the person well and get to work on finding his/her replacement.

Quote Originally Posted by Reds4Life View Post
    I read somewhere that most people who accept a counter offer usually end up leaving the company within 6 months.

The problem will be your boss and others knew you were ready to leave, and it will be stuck in the back of thier minds that you might do it again.
    My sister took a counter and ended up leaving for a better job within a few months. So she definitely proves that theory, though she is a in a hyper competitive field so her case might not prove anything.

Charlie Brown All-Star IslandRed's Avatar

If you take the counter, the other company -- the one you told, yes, I'm coming, and then, oops, never mind -- is going to feel burned. Whether or not that has the potential to come back and bite you depends on the industry/locale, I guess.
    Reading comprehension is not just an ability, it's a choice

I think once you've made the decision to leave a company, its a semi-permeable membrane.

You can go out of the company, but you'll never really come back in again. You may take the counter but you are already gone in your mind and its a matter of time before you leave again.

FWIW, I've done both.
    She used to wake me up with coffee ever morning

Quote Originally Posted by Roy Tucker View Post
    I think once you've made the decision to leave a company, its a semi-permeable membrane.

You can go out of the company, but you'll never really come back in again. You may take the counter but you are already gone in your mind and its a matter of time before you leave again.

FWIW, I've done both.
    I took a counter once, and Roy's description pretty much fit my situation. In my line of work, just about the only way to make more money is to go elsewhere into a position of more responsibility. Counters are very infrequent, and we were pretty surprised that they did it.
    But it didn't hold off the inevitable. I went elsewhere about two years later.
    Next Reds manager, second shooter. --Confirmed on Redszone.

The only counter I ever took was in October 2000, and I was headed to the 101 floor of the WTC. Just a really weird experience to say the least.

At the college I work at, it's commonplace to retire, then come back in 45 days. You get your retirement benefits, work PT, keep your insurance and you no longer pay into the retirement programs so in essence your paycheck is larger. The college gets the benefit of a non benefits (except for insurance) employee that they don't have to train.

win-win.
    Dubito Ergo Cogito Ergo Sum.

As some have pointed out there's all sort of variables that could make it a smart move to take the counter offer.

In general, don't take it. They've been screwing you all along at a lower salary and are only ponying up because of threat of you leaving. If you were that valuable they'd had made sure you'd didn't seriously entertain any other possibilities in the first place.

Quote Originally Posted by Ltlabner View Post
    As some have pointed out there's all sort of variables that could make it a smart move to take the counter offer.

In general, don't take it. They've been screwing you all along at a lower salary and are only ponying up because of threat of you leaving. If you were that valuable they'd had made sure you'd didn't seriously entertain any other possibilities in the first place.
    I tend to agree with you, but I am expecting a fairly significant counter with guaranteed money. That kind of changes the game for me.

She used to wake me up with coffee ever morning

Retired

Quote Originally Posted by Roy Tucker View Post
    I will say upfront, I think recruiters are scum.

Think of it from their prospective, of course they wouldn't want you to take a counter. Why? They wouldn't get paid. Recruiters get a % of your first year salary as a fee, paid by the employer you are placed with. If you agree to the job, then back out and take a counteroffer, they get nothing. They don't care if taking the counter is really better for you or not, they care about making money off you.

I've been on both sides of the table with recruiters, as a candidate and a hiring manager. When their lips are moving, they are lying. Most of them are lucky if they last a year, I've never seen an industry with such high turnover. There is no chance in you know what I'd ever use a recruiting service to find a job, or fill one. Nor would I take any advice from the self proclaimed "experts".

Rant over.

Turn Off Ads?