Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: According to Nielsen Co. Reds third most hated team in all of the Majors.

Redlegs_87

According to Nielsen Co. Reds third most hated team in all of the Majors.

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB1000...180269378.html

Even President Barack Obama took jabs at the Yankees this week, cementing the fact that everybody—except, of course, Yankee fans—hates the World Champions. But are they actually the most loathed team in baseball?

Contrary to popular belief, the Yankees are only the fifth-most despised team in the majors, according to an Internet algorithm built by Nielsen Co. that analyzes how people feel about certain things. This service typically uses various keywords to find out whether people have positive, negative or neutral reactions to different brands and products. No team registered a negative mark on Nielsen's "sentiment scale," which ranges from -5 to 5, but the Yankees (1.8) were one of only six teams to score lower than 2. The Mets finished four spots higher, making them the ninth most-hated team. "Even Yankee fans don't hate the Mets these days," says Benjamin Kabak, a writer for the River Avenue Blues Yankees blog. "We just feel bad for them."

The San Francisco Giants (4.5) and Oakland Athletics (4.2) were the most-liked teams on this scale, suggesting that laid-back Northern California fans are the most accepting. But the Cleveland Indians' MLB-worst 0.9 was a bit of a surprise. They simply haven't done a lot over the past 13 years to warrant that much attention. "I can believe that though," says Ed Carroll, who runs the Deep Left Field Indians blog. "The team does a lot to alienate its fans." The unheralded Cincinnati Reds (1.5) and Houston Astros (1.8) were also in the basement.

The good news for the Yankees is that their low score is better than the only team that really matters: The rival Boston Red Sox, who are the second most-despised team.

The Hatred Index

Using an algorithm designed by Nielsen Co. that measures positive and negative reactions on the Internet, here are the 10 most despised teams in baseball (scale is -5 to 5).
    Team Score
    1. Cleveland Indians 0.9
    2. Boston Red Sox 1.1
    3. Cincinnati Reds 1.5
    4 Houston Astros 1.8
    5. New York Yankees 1.8
    6. Washington Nationals1.9
    7. Chicago White Sox 2
    8. Baltimore Orioles 2
    9. New York Mets 2.3
    10. Los Angeles Dodgers2.4

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: According to Nielsen Co. Reds third most hated team in all of the Majors.

That's just wonky.

brachial plexus... big anatomy fan?

Hmmm..I thought over half the population hated the Yankees? lol
    Cincinnati Reds
    Marshall Thundering Herd

Kentucky Wildcats
    Indianapolis Colts

Washington Wizards

Just goes to show you that a person can prove anything using statistics. If anyone believes the Indians, the Astros and the Reds are three of the top four most-hated teams in baseball I have a bridge for sale. Just for fun ask the next ten baseball fans you come in contact with and I would be surprised if any of the teams are mentioned more than once. If any of them name all three of those teams as being in the top four most-hated, well you are looking at a Wall Street Journal subscriber.

Everyone hates the Yankees this experiment is bogus.

no offense but don't you have to be a factor to be hated? I think this study was done from somewhere in Michigan if the Reds and the Indians are in the top 3.

I saw that. Half of those teams on the top of the list, including the REDS, it's all about apathy, not hatred.

Quote Originally Posted by sivman17 View Post
    brachial plexus... big anatomy fan?
    Well, right now, feels more like a slave. I finish my 2nd year of med school tomorrow.

I've seen the Reds at PNC Park, Progressive Field, Petco Park, Fenway, and Dodger Stadium. Oh yeah, I REALLY felt the hate....

Red in front of the Yankees? I call shenanigans...

I would like to see the questions. More likely some people scored teams low because they think they suck, not because they hate them.

Quote Originally Posted by brachial pleXUs View Post
    Well, right now, feels more like a slave. I finish my 2nd year of med school tomorrow.
    nice.. congrats. good luck on step 1

i'm finishing up my first year here in a month

Reds Fan 4 life!!!!!

I've been to progressive park, they take care of their fans like nothing I have seen here or anywhere. (aside from $2 tickets in Milwaukee 10 yrs ago). Cleveland rocks. I call BS.
    "Ahh, Jesus, I like him very much, but He no help with curveball." - Serrano. "Are you trying to say Jesus Christ can't hit a curveball?" - Harris in Major League (1989)

This is bupkis. where are the Cards and Cubs on that list?

As for you Med students, Good luck and best wishes, seriously. I was a Vet Med major until I finally realized that Chemistry and I were Never Going To Be BFF. Specifically, the mathematics involved with chemistry. I never actually blew up the lab, but came pretty darn close a few times!

Turn Off Ads?