Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: The Astros and Drew Stubbs

The Astros and Drew Stubbs

Very nice article written by Richard Justice about the state of the Astro's and how to build an organization. It starts out talking about Drew Stubbs and the Astro's missteps. http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/...b/6980940.html

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: The Astro's and Drew Stubbs

The Reds lost out on Chris Chambliss the way.

Ed Wade is a bad GM.
    “I don’t care,” Votto said of passing his friend and former teammate. “He’s in the past. Bye-bye, Jay.”

Hm. Funny that the Reds aren't the only organization to have regrets about other players.

What irks me about that article, assuming it's true, is that Major League Baseball was again lecturing on slotting. If it's so darned important that there is a slotting system in place for draftees, then put the thing in place. If not, shut up and let people pay what they feel is necessary. I do want to see a slotting system, but until/unless it's in the CBA, baseball shouldn't have any ground to stand on telling teams what they should pay.
    "No matter how good you are, you're going to lose one-third of your games. No matter how bad you are you're going to win one-third of your games. It's the other third that makes the difference." ~Tommy Lasorda

Quote Originally Posted by Brutus the Pimp View Post
    Hm. Funny that the Reds aren't the only organization to have regrets about other players.

What irks me about that article, assuming it's true, is that Major League Baseball was again lecturing on slotting. If it's so darned important that there is a slotting system in place for draftees, then put the thing in place. If not, shut up and let people pay what they feel is necessary. I do want to see a slotting system, but until/unless it's in the CBA, baseball shouldn't have any ground to stand on telling teams what they should pay.
    I totally agree with you. If MLB thinks a slotting system is so important they need to have in their next CBA. If I were a club and really wanted a kid and had go over slot, I could care less if the commissioner or anyone else tried intimidate me into a mythical slot position. Oh well,the Astros loss is the Reds gain in this one.
    Reds Fan Since 1971

wait. MLB balked at 900K in the third round, but were ok with Sulbaran's bonus?

what?

Or did the Reds just ignore MLB's whining?
    Dubito Ergo Cogito Ergo Sum.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Servo View Post
    Ed Wade is a bad GM.
    IIRC Wade was a Phillie employee then

Interesting that the Astros and other scouts like Drew Stubbs...

Quote Originally Posted by Brutus the Pimp View Post

I think thats a cop out on the Astro's part. It was pretty evident that they would rather spend money in FA as opposed to the Draft. If the Astro's really wanted Stubbs and they went to Selig and said "we want to pay over slot for Drew Stubbs. Not only is he a great prospect but he is a home town Texan". Do you think Selig would have declined?

Two-Time Batting Champ Edd Roush's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Sea Ray View Post
    Interesting that the Astros and other scouts like Drew Stubbs...
    If it wasn't for Lincecum, I really don't think you would hear too many complaints about the Stubbs pick.

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by TRF View Post
    wait. MLB balked at 900K in the third round, but were ok with Sulbaran's bonus?

what?

Or did the Reds just ignore MLB's whining?
    It is why all of the overslot signings happen 1-3 days before the signing deadline. MLB is trying to punish teams for going over slot by keeping the kids out of the system that first year (though in some cases negotiations do come down that far - but take Tucker Barnhart for example, in the middle of June he and the Reds agreed on the deal, but he didn't get it approved until August something and could only play that last week of the season). Teams are basically ignoring MLB at this point on the 'slot' system. I think about 80% of the players taken between 1 and 50 signed for over slot.

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post
    IIRC Wade was a Phillie employee then
    I wasn't refering to the Stubbs situation, I was just making a general note.
    “I don’t care,” Votto said of passing his friend and former teammate. “He’s in the past. Bye-bye, Jay.”

Quote Originally Posted by Edd Roush View Post
    If it wasn't for Lincecum, I really don't think you would hear too many complaints about the Stubbs pick.
    I disagree. The people that Bring up Lincecum now are actually in the pro Stubbs camp.

Until he proves otherwise, He'd be lucky to have Austin Kearns career stats. And I'd say its safe to say Kearns was a bust. He did make a ton o' cash though.
    Dubito Ergo Cogito Ergo Sum.

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

And I'd say its safe to say Kearns was a bust. He did make a ton o' cash though.
    Guys with 10+ year MLB careers aren't busts. They may be disappointments, but they are not busts in the slightest. A bust is a guy who doesn't have anything resembling an MLB career, much less nearly 18 career WAR.

I disagree. The people that Bring up Lincecum now are actually in the pro Stubbs camp.

Until he proves otherwise, He'd be lucky to have Austin Kearns career stats. And I'd say its safe to say Kearns was a bust. He did make a ton o' cash though.
    He can already out play Kearns in the field and on the bases, thus his value is not only in need of being measured differently, but also does the application of his value to the Reds, Kearns was just another corner OF on a team loaded with those types.

BTW, no one mentions Linnicum more than you do, I'd be hard pressed to even find second place in that race.

Turn Off Ads?