Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Baseball Cards

Baseball Cards

I just read this pretty cool blog post about baseball cards that I bet some people on this board would enjoy.

http://www.faithandfearinflushing.co...e-left-behind/

It's about more than baseball cards, but I'll let you see for yourself. I found this via Deadspin.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Baseball Cards

Excellent article.

It reminded me of myself.

I have so many cards, magazines, scorecards etc from the past that have little worth other than great memories for me.

I have been asked and told several times by my wife to get rid of the baseball junk but it's not happenin!!!
    "Boys, I'm one of those umpires that misses 'em every once in a while so if it's close, you'd better hit it." Cal Hubbard

Excellent article. I now make a large part of my living selling cards, but this type of article reminds me why I got into the hobby to begin with. You can never put a monetary value on the cross generational bond cards and memorabilia give us. I can't tell you how often a certain ball makes me think of my long-dead grandfather and how no offer in the world would ever convince me to sell it.

Quote Originally Posted by reds1869 View Post
    Excellent article. I now make a large part of my living selling cards, but this type of article reminds me why I got into the hobby to begin with. You can never put a monetary value on the cross generational bond cards and memorabilia give us. I can't tell you how often a certain ball makes me think of my long-dead grandfather and how no offer in the world would ever convince me to sell it.
    I agree. I thought the "fake-out" with the Babe Ruth ball was great, because it seemed for a second as if the article was going to be about finding some amazing and financially valuable piece of memorabilia. Then the author found something just as valuable in his connection to the owner through the cards of the obscure Mets players. Really reminds me of how sports connects people from all walks of life, and even connects people who never even talk to each other.

The Future is Now Ghosts of 1990's Avatar

My prized possesion is probably my first auto'd baseball.... Darryl Strawberry. Great find and great read. That's why I love this forum. We don't miss anything worthwhile
    2009 Attendance Record: 3-5 2010 Attendance Record: 2-9 2015 Attendance Record: 2-0
    2011 Attendance Record: 3-4 2012 Attendance Record: 3-4
    2013 Attendance Record: 5-2 2014 Attendance Record: 3-1

Reminds me of my youngest son who can't go anywhere without a pocketful of legos and a book of baseball cards. At one time I wanted to convince him not to sort through them so much because it bends them. This article reminds me of why I didn't do that.
    Tim McCarver: Baseball Quotes
    I remember one time going out to the mound to talk with Bob Gibson. He told me to get back behind the batter, that the only thing I knew about pitching was that it was hard to hit.

Great article! Thanks for posting. It reminded me when I was young and how I would sort cards,write on some them or tack them to the wall. Never thought of value but just the joy of having them. This man's cards were enjoyed by him and that's what card collecting should be all about.
    Back a few years ago I finished all my 1970's sets(except for one card). I didn't really care what condition they were in that much. As long as they hadn't been crumpled up too badly or had holes in them I would buy them. I did it for the enjoyment and to have complete sets. I thought if some of them looked a little worn they looked more authentic than pristine shiny one's that had hardly been touched. It just seemed better to me that way.
    Reds Fan Since 1971

Turn Off Ads?