Phillips 4
    Votto 3
    Rolen 5
    Bruce 9
    Cabrera 6
    Nix 7
    Hanigan 2
    Arroyo 1

I like Hanigan back in there after a day off. Also like Dickerson getting a start. I also still like the lineup. I don't, however, like the constant Cabrera love-fest. Not thrilled with Nix again...but Gomes has looked like he needs some time off (just not during BP yesterday...he hit 5 shots OVER the train...mercy)
    2014 predictions:
    99-63 WS champs (Cards take 2nd WC, Mil 3rd, Pit 4th, Chi 5th)
    Bruce/Votto neck and neck MVP race (neither takes it)
    Bailey CYA winner
    Hamilton ROY & GG

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: 4-29-10 Reds v Astros

Quote Originally Posted by _Sir_Charles_ View Post
    Dickerson 8
    Phillips 4
    Votto 3
    Rolen 5
    Bruce 9
    Cabrera 6
    Nix 7
    Hanigan 2
    Arroyo 1

I like Hanigan back in there after a day off. Also like Dickerson getting a start. I also still like the lineup. I don't, however, like the constant Cabrera love-fest. Not thrilled with Nix again...but Gomes has looked like he needs some time off (just not during BP yesterday...he hit 5 shots OVER the train...mercy)
    I heard them talking about that during the pre-game show...whoa!
    "Bring on Rod Stupid!"

Two-Time Batting Champ Edd Roush's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by _Sir_Charles_ View Post
    Dickerson 8
    Phillips 4
    Votto 3
    Rolen 5
    Bruce 9
    Cabrera 6
    Nix 7
    Hanigan 2
    Arroyo 1

I almost wish we would go with both Stubbs and Dickerson today. I like guys with extra range in Houston's outfield because of how left field is deformed. Plus, Stubbs has signs recently of putting it together and I want to see him in the line-up.

BTW I hate seeing Hanigan in the 8 hole. I would love to see him either leading off or in that 2 hole.

http://www.baseball-reference.com/pl...o01&as=pitcher

Oswalt has Rolen's # .222 AVG in a ton of at bats.

Drew Stubbs has the ONLY HR off Oswalt, yet was benched for Dickerson.

Cabrera is hitless against Oswalt while Janish is 2 for 3 with 2 doubles.

Small sample size of course.

Phillips also does extremely well against Oswalt. OBP .364

P.S. Hernandez has an OBP over .500 in 11 AB's
    Last edited by forfreelin04; 04-29-2010 at 04:36 PM. Reason: P.S.

It's a fine line-up. It's likely never going to be perfect in a way that everyone on the board will applaud. Dusty still giving Nix every opportunity to help this team with spot starts in match-ups that should be decent for Nix. At some point, Nix needs to actually go ahead and reward Dusty and help the team.

Houston is Janish's hometown. He should have got a start in this series.
    "Baseball is a very, very complex business. It's more of a people business than most businesses." - Bob Castellini

Quote Originally Posted by Edd Roush View Post
    I almost wish we would go with both Stubbs and Dickerson today. I like guys with extra range in Houston's outfield because of how left field is deformed. Plus, Stubbs has signs recently of putting it together and I want to see him in the line-up.

BTW I hate seeing Hanigan in the 8 hole. I would love to see him either leading off or in that 2 hole.
    I thought about starting Stubbs last night.

He did get a Double down the line in his final at bat in yesterday's game.

However, I came to the conclusion a poor day against Oswalt was worse for his development then sitting him.

I usually don't agree with the credit Dusty gives to confidence, but as a hitter you always remember your last at bat. Let this one stew in Stubbs brain until the next game.

Plus, Dickerson needs a start to right his ship. Someone has to win this leadoff battle. So far its a battle of attrition.

You could say Stubbs is turning the corner, but his double was out of the zone and tomahawked to Left.

Quote Originally Posted by lollipopcurve View Post
    I actually agree with this. I'd have started Stubbs too instead of Nix. I'd have hit him in the 6th spot in the lineup, Janish 8th.

But hey, that's just my opinion.
    Suck it up cupcake.

Quote Originally Posted by lollipopcurve View Post
    Dusty is that you?

Stat Wanker Hodiernus RedsManRick's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Edd Roush View Post

Nix is actually a pretty darn good defensive LF. Though I'd much rather see Stubbs get more PA, even if he's scuffling. He's not going to improve by watching.
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

[QUOTE=RedsManRick;2068296]Nix is actually a pretty darn good defensive LF. Though I'd much rather see Stubbs get more PA, even if he's scuffling. He's not going to improve by watching.[/QUOTE]

Even if he's sitting next to Ted Willams?

JK

But, in truth, you can improve by sitting on the bench. Improving the mind is just as important as doing. Rick, your a saber man, you should know this.

I sat for a whole year on a college baseball team bench. I learned a ton about the game that would have improved my own. I also learned alot from this board that would have improved my HS game. (value of a walk for one!)
    Last edited by forfreelin04; 04-29-2010 at 06:09 PM.

Joey Votto Fangirl HeatherC1212's Avatar

Let's get the sweep tonight!

"I tried to play golf, but I found out I wasn't very good." -Joey Votto on his offseason hobby search

An MLB.com reporter asked what one thing Votto couldn’t do. “I can’t skate or play hockey,” Votto said. “Well, I can skate ... but I can’t stop.”

Quote Originally Posted by membengal View Post
    It's a fine line-up. It's likely never going to be perfect in a way that everyone on the board will applaud. Dusty still giving Nix every opportunity to help this team with spot starts in match-ups that should be decent for Nix. At some point, Nix needs to actually go ahead and reward Dusty and help the team.
    Nix and Dickerson both have to start hitting. They've been horrid so far this year. (As has Stubbs.)

But it's not like anyone in Louisville has hit well enough to switch places with any of them.
    "You can learn little from victory. You can learn everything from defeat."
    -- Christy Matthewson
    "Show me a good loser and I'll show you an idiot."
    -- Leo Durocher

Designated Threadkiller LincolnparkRed's Avatar

All I can say is at least he isn't playing Cairo
    Climbing down from the bridge, but keeping the torch lit until Dusty's fate is settled

chatting going on in chat
    "But I do know Joey's sister indirectly (or foster sister) and I have heard stories of Joey being into shopping, designer wear, fancy coffees, and pedicures."

Turn Off Ads?