Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Reds have rough flight to St. Louis

Reds have rough flight to St. Louis

From C. Trent's website:

Things were fine until the plane encountered strong winds as it started its decent into St. Louis around 1:20 a.m. After a rough descent, the plane was attempting to land at Lambert International Airport when strong winds kept the plane from staying lined up with the runway.

The plane rocked back and forth as it lowered the ground when the pilot determined he couldn't safely land. Reds director of media relations Rob Butcher estimated that the plane was 30 feet from the ground when he heard the engines power up before the plane slowly climbed back into the air.

"It was the roughest flight I've ever been on," said Reds manager Dusty Baker. "I heard some tough guys squealing in the back. Later I said, 'was that you?' and they were like 'that wasn't me man.' I said 'I know your voice.'"

As the plane circled around and prepared for a second attempt, several players sat nervously in their seats while others said a quick prayer.
    full article:
    http://cnati.com/cincinnati-reds/red...-louis-001878/

That's scary.
    Last edited by OnBaseMachine; 04-30-2010 at 08:10 PM.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Reds have rough flight to St. Louis

I hate flying.

I heard Dusty talking about this on the pre-game tonight. It sounded like a pretty gnarly experience by all accounts.

If I had the talent of BJ Upton I could never be a major league player because I will never get on a plane again, after my own experiences and stories like this. I think about it every time I know the team is going on a road trip. Thank God they landed ok.

Ok...so who were the squealers?

Doesn't FSN travel on the plane, if so I'd start with Day and Piecero.

Back in '82, there was a plane crash at Washington National where the plane crashed on takeoff into the Potomac River.

I took a flight into National about a week later. We went over the crash site on landing which was enough to give anyone the willies. But like the Reds flight, we were about 30 ft. above the runway when the pilot aborted the landing. Floorboarded the throttles and went up at a steep angle. Evidently, the runway wasn't completely clear and we got waved off. I got a good taste of what the cabin of a plane crashing would be like because about 3/4 of the passengers screamed and freaked out. It was pretty scary.

But I've flown a lot and it doesn't bother me. Bigger risk of getting killed driving to the airport than in the plane.
    She used to wake me up with coffee ever morning

You know, I've always wondered, Heaven forbid the worst case scenario happened and a MLB team plane went down with no survivors, what would happen?
    Benzinger backing and calling! And the 1990 world championship series belongs to the Cincinnati Reds!

They had this posted a while back. MLB has a contingency plan where the team that got killed gets to pick from a list of unprotected players from other teams.

George Constanza likes this thread.

Quote Originally Posted by JaxRed View Post
    They had this posted a while back. MLB has a contingency plan where the team that got killed gets to pick from a list of unprotected players from other teams.
    Hmmm, I must've missed that. Thanks for the info, that would be horrible.
    Benzinger backing and calling! And the 1990 world championship series belongs to the Cincinnati Reds!

"I heard some tough guys squealing in the back. Later I said, 'was that you?' and they were like 'that wasn't me man.' I said 'I know your voice.'"
    that is classic
    Baseball is like church. Many attend, few understand

The Future is Now Ghosts of 1990's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Roy Tucker View Post

But I've flown a lot and it doesn't bother me. Bigger risk of getting killed driving to the airport than in the plane.
    I hear it a lot, but I'll never agree with it.
    2009 Attendance Record: 3-5 2010 Attendance Record: 2-9 2015 Attendance Record: 2-0
    2011 Attendance Record: 3-4 2012 Attendance Record: 3-4
    2013 Attendance Record: 5-2 2014 Attendance Record: 3-1

Quote Originally Posted by JaxRed View Post
    WOW

Can you even imagine?
    2009 Attendance Record: 3-5 2010 Attendance Record: 2-9 2015 Attendance Record: 2-0

Quote Originally Posted by JayBruce32 View Post
    WOW

Can you even imagine?
    No and hopefully it never happens but......

I do wonder what kind of list would be provided as far as unprotected payers go.A team could really load up on prospects but would likely have a terrible MLB team for a long while.I certainly think that MLB would step in and do everything possible to make that team competitive as soon as possible.

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Hook View Post
    No and hopefully it never happens but......

I do wonder what kind of list would be provided as far as unprotected payers go.A team could really load up on prospects but would likely have a terrible MLB team for a long while.I certainly think that MLB would step in and do everything possible to make that team competitive as soon as possible.
    It would be like the We Are Marshall football team

Turn Off Ads?