Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 31

Thread: 5 starts, 5 guys step up....

  1. #1
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    All around
    Posts
    7,472

    5 starts, 5 guys step up....

    During this last 5 man rotation, all 5 starters stepped up.

    We hadn't been able to get more than 1 guy step up during any other 5-game stretch.

    Tremendous effort by the starters.

    It all starts again tomorrow.

    Let's see if Harang learned anything from his last outing, such as how successful he can be when he stays away from serving fat pitches resulting in extra-base hits, especially when runners are on base.

    (Season Average Game Score listed in Parentheses includes their latest outing)

    Harang..........6.0IP, 8H, 2R, 2ER, 1BB, 6K.......Game Score=49 (39)
    Leake..........7.0IP, 5H, 1R, 1ER, 2BB, 5K.......Game Score=64 (55)
    Arroyo..........6.2IP, 6H, 2R, 2ER, 3BB, 7K.......Game Score=54 (46)
    Cueto..........5.0IP, 5H, 2R, 2ER, 1BB, 3K.......Game Score=47 (45)
    Bailey..........6.2IP, 7H, 3R, 2ER, 3BB, 6K.......Game Score=49 (42)

    National League Average Game Score is 50. The REDS were still next to last at an average Game Score of 45 going into Saturday's game against the Cardinals. Their problem is they aren't getting deep into games. They need more of them reaching the 7th Inning, and Cueto just to get to the 6th Inning. Leake is the one player they would rather have not getting deep into games as it would make it all the more likely that he has to be shut down in September.

    These were 4 decent performances (3 were below the National League average) and 1 very good performance (by Leake). All were better efforts than what each had been doing so far on the season. You've got to love that when all 5 starters step it up collectively. I can't really remember the last time that happened by a REDS' staff.

    Let's see how many of them can equal or better their last performance going into the next 5 games. I'd like to see this week if Harang can give up 3 ER's or less on Sunday against the Cardinals (avoid the Xtra-BH's w/ runners on), and to see if Cueto can get to 6.0IP and 3ER or less Wednesday at home against the Mets. Would also like to see Bailey's WHIP better than the 1.452 he had today in his next start Friday at home against the Cubs.

  2. Turn Off Ads?
  3. #2
    Resident PED Expert nemesis's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Centerville, Ohio
    Posts
    1,415

    Re: 5 starts, 5 guys step up....

    Harang had another quality start. One real bad pitch to Freeze. I would expect more of the same from Leake tomorrow and Arroyo following since he owns the Mets...
    If you can't be a good example... then you'll just have to be a horrible warning...

    Nothing tastes as good as being fit feels...

  4. #3
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    All around
    Posts
    7,472

    Re: 5 starts, 5 guys step up....

    Quote Originally Posted by nemesis View Post
    Harang had another quality start. One real bad pitch to Freeze. I would expect more of the same from Leake tomorrow and Arroyo following since he owns the Mets...
    His Game Score was 46 today. (Carpenter had a 78.)

    Though that is better than his season average going into the game (a putrid 39, 70th out of 77 Pitchers w/ 3 or more starts), it was worse than his last outing (49), and worse than the National League Average (50). I was hoping he'd step up again, and do better, yet.

    For him, though, this is real progress. Back-to-back Game Scores of 49 and 46 are a huge improvement over what it's been. Even these two starts are below average for a National League Pitcher this season. It's horrible how REDS fans are relieved that Aaron Harang is finally pitching "below average" instead of pitching putridly.

    It's still not good enough, though. He's got to start getting some Game Scores in the 50's on a consistent basis. He's got the stuff. He's just got to stay away from those extra-base hits where he serves up meaty pitches far too often. Only 5 starts left before it's do-or-die for him.
    Last edited by Kingspoint; 05-03-2010 at 01:09 AM.

  5. #4
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    All around
    Posts
    7,472

    Re: 5 starts, 5 guys step up....

    I never expected all 5 pitchers to match or better their last performances (3 of which are below the National League Average for Starting Pitchers). 3 would have been the most I were to expect.

    So far, they are 0 for 1, as Harang failed to match or better his last performance. It will be hard for Leake to do so, as he had a very good start last time. Arroyo, Cueto and Bailey all could match or better their's, though.

  6. #5
    Resident PED Expert nemesis's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Centerville, Ohio
    Posts
    1,415

    Re: 5 starts, 5 guys step up....

    Quote Originally Posted by Kingspoint View Post
    I never expected all 5 pitchers to match or better their last performances (3 of which are below the National League Average for Starting Pitchers). 3 would have been the most I were to expect.

    So far, they are 0 for 1, as Harang failed to match or better his last performance. It will be hard for Leake to do so, as he had a very good start last time. Arroyo, Cueto and Bailey all could match or better their's, though.
    How many games have the Reds starters had that's 50 or above this season?
    If you can't be a good example... then you'll just have to be a horrible warning...

    Nothing tastes as good as being fit feels...

  7. #6
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    All around
    Posts
    7,472

    Re: 5 starts, 5 guys step up....

    Quote Originally Posted by nemesis View Post
    How many games have the Reds starters had that's 50 or above this season?
    It's turns out I was calculating their last starts wrong. They actually have a higher number and I'm going to edit my posts with the right numbers. All of them will be about 4 points higher, which means instead of 3 of them pitching less than the Major League average, they will have pitched the Major League average.

  8. #7
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    All around
    Posts
    7,472

    Re: 5 starts, 5 guys step up....

    The Starters' Game Scores, in chonological order of their games' pitched on the season:

    AH:.....43, 64, 12, 23, 53, 52
    BA:.....73, 42, 46, 09, 58
    HB:.....44, 31, 34, 49, 53
    ML:.....60, 49, 45, 66, 61
    JC:.....54, 34, 45, 42, 51

    To answer your question, there have been 9, including 6 in a row by the REDS' staff (53, 58, 53, 66, 51, 52). Let's see if Leake can make it 7 in a row and his 3rd in 5 starts. Leake is the only one with 2 in the 60's, including the best start by anyone so far for the REDS (his 66 in his last start). Just added Leake's 61 that he pitched against the Mets tonight.
    Last edited by Kingspoint; 05-03-2010 at 09:14 PM.

  9. #8
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    All around
    Posts
    7,472

    Re: 5 starts, 5 guys step up....

    Quote Originally Posted by Kingspoint View Post
    During this last 5 man rotation, all 5 starters stepped up.

    We hadn't been able to get more than 1 guy step up during any other 5-game stretch.

    Tremendous effort by the starters.

    It all starts again tomorrow.

    Let's see if Harang learned anything from his last outing, such as how successful he can be when he stays away from serving fat pitches resulting in extra-base hits, especially when runners are on base.

    (Season Average Game Score listed in Parentheses includes their latest outing)

    Harang..........6.0IP, 8H, 2R, 2ER, 1BB, 6K.......Game Score=53 (39)
    Leake..........7.0IP, 5H, 1R, 1ER, 2BB, 5K.......Game Score=66 (55)
    Arroyo..........6.2IP, 6H, 2R, 2ER, 3BB, 7K.......Game Score=58 (46)
    Cueto..........5.0IP, 5H, 2R, 2ER, 1BB, 3K.......Game Score=51 (45)
    Bailey..........6.2IP, 7H, 3R, 2ER, 3BB, 6K.......Game Score=53 (42)

    National League Average Game Score is 50. Every starter pitched better than the Average NL start this season. That's really stepping up. The REDS were still next to last at an average Game Score of 45 going into Saturday's game against the Cardinals. Their problem is they aren't getting deep into games. They need more of them reaching the 7th Inning, and Cueto just to get to the 6th Inning. Leake is the one player they would rather have not getting deep into games as it would make it all the more likely that he has to be shut down in September.

    These were 3 decent performances, 1 good performance (by Arroyo) and 1 very good performance (by Leake). All were much better efforts than what each had been doing so far on the season. You've got to love that when all 5 starters step it up collectively. I can't really remember the last time that happened by a REDS' staff.

    Let's see how many of them can equal or better their last performance going into the next 5 games. I'd like to see this week if Harang can give up 3 ER's or less on Sunday against the Cardinals (avoid the Xtra-BH's w/ runners on), and to see if Cueto can get to 6.0IP and 3ER or less Wednesday at home against the Mets. Would also like to see Bailey's WHIP better than the 1.452 he had today in his next start Friday at home against the Cubs.
    I forgot we can't edit things after about 2 hours. (man, I hate that, and that they set that on purpose really sucks...the mods create more confusion than they are trying to avoid). So, I posted the "edited" Game Scores and quoted the post. The Starting Staff "collectively" stepped up even moreso than what I had tried giving them credit for doing.
    Last edited by Kingspoint; 05-03-2010 at 07:56 PM.

  10. #9
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    All around
    Posts
    7,472

    Re: 5 starts, 5 guys step up....

    Quote Originally Posted by Kingspoint View Post
    His Game Score was 46 today. (Carpenter had a 78.)

    Though that is better than his season average going into the game (a putrid 39, 70th out of 77 Pitchers w/ 3 or more starts), it was worse than his last outing (49), and worse than the National League Average (50). I was hoping he'd step up again, and do better, yet.

    For him, though, this is real progress. Back-to-back Game Scores of 49 and 46 are a huge improvement over what it's been. Even these two starts are below average for a National League Pitcher this season. It's horrible how REDS fans are relieved that Aaron Harang is finally pitching "below average" instead of pitching putridly.

    It's still not good enough, though. He's got to start getting some Game Scores in the 50's on a consistent basis. He's got the stuff. He's just got to stay away from those extra-base hits where he serves up meaty pitches far too often. Only 5 starts left before it's do-or-die for him.
    His Game Score wasn't 46, but actually 52. I had calculated it wrong. So, back-to-back Game Scores of 53 and 52 are a "really huge" improvement over what it's been. These two starts are "above average" for a NL Pitcher this season. (average of 50) It's a relief for REDS' fans that Aaron Harang is finally pitching "above average" on the season.

    He is now getting Game Scores in the 50's on a consistent basis. The corner is turning for Harang.

  11. #10
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Location
    Louisville
    Posts
    547

    Re: 5 starts, 5 guys step up....

    Kingspoint, you have to lead the league in % of posts in one thread by the same person.

  12. #11
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    All around
    Posts
    7,472

    Re: 5 starts, 5 guys step up....

    Quote Originally Posted by KySteveH View Post
    Kingspoint, you have to lead the league in % of posts in one thread by the same person.
    Congratulations on your 500th post!

    BTW, Mike Leake just made it 7 in a row by our Starting Pitchers of Game Scores of greater than 50 with his 61 today. That's also Leake's 3rd of at least 60 in just 5 starts in his young MLB career. The rest of the starters only have 2 among them. The Defense tonight didn't do Leake any favors.

    Hope we can pull this out tonight against the METS.

  13. #12
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    2,078

    Re: 5 starts, 5 guys step up....

    Lets hope the streak continues!

  14. #13
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    All around
    Posts
    7,472

    Re: 5 starts, 5 guys step up....

    Quote Originally Posted by Kingspoint View Post
    The Starters' Game Scores, in chonological order of their games' pitched on the season:

    AH:.....43, 64, 12, 23, 53, 52
    BA:.....73, 42, 46, 09, 58, 48
    HB:.....44, 31, 34, 49, 53
    ML:.....60, 49, 45, 66, 61
    JC:.....54, 34, 45, 42, 51, 52

    To answer your question, there have been 9, including 6 in a row by the REDS' staff (53, 58, 53, 66, 51, 52). Let's see if Leake can make it 7 in a row and his 3rd in 5 starts. Leake is the only one with 2 in the 60's, including the best start by anyone so far for the REDS (his 66 in his last start). Just added Leake's 61 that he pitched against the Mets tonight.
    With only Homer Bailey left to try to repeat or better his performance, the results have been, if anything, consistent.

    Harang followed up his 53 with a 52; Leake followed up his 66 with a 61, Bronson followed up his 58 with a 48, breaking the string of 7 straight starts of more than 50 points by the Starters; and, Cueto followed his 51 with a 52.

    Friday against the Cubs, Bailey will be going for his 4th straight improved performance following scores of 31, 34, 49, and 53.

  15. #14
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    All around
    Posts
    7,472

    Re: 5 starts, 5 guys step up....

    For perspective, St. Louis' Starters have an average Game Score of 60 for the entire season. Cueto's best is 54, Bailey's best is 53, Arroyo's only bettered 68 once, and Harang's only bettered 53 once.

    While everyone's improvement over the last 9 starts have been great (for them), all of them other than Leake have to take it to yet another level and start giving the team some starts that have Game Scores of 60 or more. That means completing 7 innings while keeping the Earned Runs down to 2.

    Each of them can do it. That's what Dusty's foremost goal is right now, and has been since the beginning of the season. His pitchers just haven't complied.

    We're just on the edge of making a nice run (winning 24 of 32).
    Last edited by Kingspoint; 05-07-2010 at 02:05 AM.

  16. #15
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Location
    Cincinnati
    Posts
    854

    Re: 5 starts, 5 guys step up....

    I actually agree with you that the starters not named Leake have to start going longer in to the games than they have been, but in today's era of baseball it's not reasonable to expect <2 runs given up by your starters in every start.
    Last edited by Caveman Techie; 05-07-2010 at 08:33 AM.
    "I have noticed even people who claim everything is predestined, and that we can do nothing to change it, look before they cross the road." Stephen Hawking


Turn Off Ads?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Board Moderators may, at their discretion and judgment, delete and/or edit any messages that violate any of the following guidelines: 1. Explicit references to alleged illegal or unlawful acts. 2. Graphic sexual descriptions. 3. Racial or ethnic slurs. 4. Use of edgy language (including masked profanity). 5. Direct personal attacks, flames, fights, trolling, baiting, name-calling, general nuisance, excessive player criticism or anything along those lines. 6. Posting spam. 7. Each person may have only one user account. It is fine to be critical here - that's what this board is for. But let's not beat a subject or a player to death, please.

Thank you, and most importantly, enjoy yourselves!


RedsZone.com is a privately owned website and is not affiliated with the Cincinnati Reds or Major League Baseball


Contact us: Boss | GIK | BCubb2003 | dabvu2498 | Gallen5862 | LexRedsFan | Plus Plus | RedlegJake | redsfan1995 | The Operator | Tommyjohn25