Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Move the Houston Astros...

Move the Houston Astros...

...to the American League West, and voila - MLB is balanced.

3 divisions of 5 teams in each league.

discuss..................................
    "...kicks and deals, and it's right down Broadway"

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Move the Houston Astros...

I've thought about that as well, but then that makes the AL/NL split 15-15. Unless there is one interleague series at all times, then one AL team and one NL team have no dancing partner.

Quote Originally Posted by Knightro28 View Post
    I've thought about that as well, but then that makes the AL/NL split 15-15. Unless there is one interleague series at all times, then one AL team and one NL team have no dancing partner.
    Great point...I never thought about that. It makes no since that there are 6 teams in our division, and 4 in another.
    Cincinnati Reds
    Marshall Thundering Herd

Kentucky Wildcats
    Indianapolis Colts

Washington Wizards

I've always thought they should be moved to the AL West as well. It would create a natural rivalry with in-state Texas Rangers. It only makes sense to do that.

Quote Originally Posted by Knightro28 View Post
    THIS.

Is why it doesn't make sense.

Baseball should never have expanded. Should be 14 teams in each league.

The Marlins are a joke and could close up shop easily and nobody would blink an eye. They only have a couple good players that anyone would fight over anyways, and they're likely headed to FA or trade here shortly.
    Finding another team to do the same would be an issue however.

PEACE

-BLEEDS
    I think that in a year or two, one of these guys - Frazier, Dorn, Valaika, Cumberland, Stubbs - will be ready to replace Dunn. They won't hit as many home runs as Dunn, but they should have similar OPS. - 757690, July 22, 2008

Alonso will be playing 1B for the REDS and batting 4th one year from today. - Kingspoint, July 9, 2009

Reds Fan 4 life!!!!!

Since our last playoff appearance,
    2009 NL division series Rockies vs. Philadelphia
    2008 World Series Philadelphia vs. Tampa Bay
    2007 NL championship Rockies vs. Arizona (both expansion teams)
    2003 World Series Marlins vs. Yankees
    2002 NL division series Arizona vs. St. Louis
    2001 World Series Arizona vs. Yankees
    1999 NL division series Arizona vs. NY Mets
    1997 World Series Marlins vs. Cleveland

Underlined indicates the expansion team that won the series. There has been plenty of good baseball that I am happy I saw because of the the expansion.

The Houston Astros should be in the NL west if nothing else. But I will take ANOTHER bad team to play as much as possible.
    "Ahh, Jesus, I like him very much, but He no help with curveball." - Serrano. "Are you trying to say Jesus Christ can't hit a curveball?" - Harris in Major League (1989)

Something has to be done because it is a 20-30% disadvantage playing in a division with 6 teams as opposed to 4. Big time unfair.

Quote Originally Posted by Roush's socks View Post
    Something has to be done because it is a 20-30% disadvantage playing in a division with 6 teams as opposed to 4. Big time unfair.
    Ask the Cardinals if they like playing in the Central. They love seeing the Reds/Astros/Pirates 16-18 times.
    Variatio delectat - Cicero

All work and no play..... Vottomatic's Avatar

MLB should eliminate 2 teams - Nationals and Pirates. They are both a waste of space.

Then they should eliminate divisions. Every team plays every other team the same amount of times. 14 NL teams and 14 AL teams. The ones with the 4 best records make the playoffs.

As for interleague play, they should keep natural rivalries alive such as the Reds-Indians, the Twins-Brewers, the Yanks-Mets, etc. Then they could possibly interject an evening out type of scenario where last year's worst NL teams play last year's worst AL teams and the tougher NL teams play the tougher AL teams. Kinda like the NFL does it based on your finish this year determines your toughness of schedule the following year.

Just my $.02.

Quote Originally Posted by BLEEDS View Post
    The Marlins are a joke and could close up shop easily and nobody would blink an eye. They only have a couple good players that anyone would fight over anyways, and they're likely headed to FA or trade here shortly.
    Finding another team to do the same would be an issue however.
    The Marlins have won two World Series titles since The Reds last playoff appearance and have been MUCH more relevant in terms of competitiveness than our own beloved Reds in recent years.

They have an attendance issue, yes, but they're getting a new ballpark and it's not as if The Reds are packing the house at GABP every night.

Personally, I'd trade the last 15 years of team history between the Reds and Marlins in an instant.

The Marlins, for all their struggles, at least know when to call it a day and rebuild their team. The Reds, year in and year out try to half heartedly rebuild and contend at the same team. And thanks to that approach the last time we've seen .500 in Cincinnati was the turn of the century.

It's never wise to point out a splinter in someone's eye while ignoring the plank in your own.

Quote Originally Posted by Vottomatic View Post
    MLB should eliminate 2 teams - Nationals and Pirates. They are both a waste of space.
    How are either of those teams any less relevant than The Reds?

It's easy to poke fun at other pitiful franchises, but outside of Cincinnati The Reds are viewed right in line with The Nationals, Pirates, Royals, etc. of the world.

That's why talk of contraction scares me so much. The Reds obviously have the fact that they were the first MLB team on their side, but that can only hold them for so long. They aren't far behind those teams you listed on the chopping block if contraction does ever come down the pike.

I don't think the solution is to get rid of two teams. Having 30 teams is not the problem. Yeah, two teams in the same league will have to play each other during Interleague play if the Astros were to move to the AL, but who cares? Is it really that big of a deal that not all 30 teams will be playing a team from the other league on the same day? Seems pretty trivial to me.

The fact that there are an even number of teams and divisions, but an uneven number of teams in those divisions is a joke. What was the MLB thinking? Just move them to the AL West and problem is solved.

Actually I vote for the Brewers to go back to the AL. It never seemed right that Bud was able to move them from the AL to the NL while his family still owned them.
    "I have noticed even people who claim everything is predestined, and that we can do nothing to change it, look before they cross the road." Stephen Hawking

Quote Originally Posted by sivman17 View Post
    I don't think the solution is to get rid of two teams. Having 30 teams is not the problem. Yeah, two teams in the same league will have to play each other during Interleague play if the Astros were to move to the AL, but who cares? Is it really that big of a deal that not all 30 teams will be playing a team from the other league on the same day? Seems pretty trivial to me.

The fact that there are an even number of teams and divisions, but an uneven number of teams in those divisions is a joke. What was the MLB thinking? Just move them to the AL West and problem is solved.
    Opposite.... two teams in different leagues would have to play each EVERY day. If they still had interleague play, two teams would the same league would now NOT have to play each other, but I assume that the above scenerio would already generate all the interleague play you could handle. Imagine playing an AL team on opening day... or the last series of a playoff race.

Yeah, how TERRIBLE would it be to have an interleague series every day?
    Actually, I think it would be Interesting!

I can't see one negative thing about it actually. It's much better than going 2-3 weeks at a time where everyone plays teams outside of their division/leauge, affecting their records - like when one team has to play the Yankees while the other plays the Royals - if you broke it up and spread it out, it would seem less of a sore thumb sticking out then it currently does.

Having the ONLY 6 team division is the most ridiculous thing in baseball - with the Yankees and Red Sox being in the ONLY 4 team division in baseball a close second, and the All-Star game determining home field advantage for the World Series right behind in 3rd.

Bud and the rest of the MLB FO folks are a complete joke.

PEACE

-BLEEDS
    I think that in a year or two, one of these guys - Frazier, Dorn, Valaika, Cumberland, Stubbs - will be ready to replace Dunn. They won't hit as many home runs as Dunn, but they should have similar OPS. - 757690, July 22, 2008

Alonso will be playing 1B for the REDS and batting 4th one year from today. - Kingspoint, July 9, 2009

Turn Off Ads?