Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: the 16-8 Cards are really good

the 16-8 Cards are really good

preseason i looked at the Cards as being fairly generic outside the "Big Four". looks like i was wrong.
    so far several other players are playing really well: Rasmus, Ludwick, Penny & Garcia to name a few.
    http://www.baseball-reference.com/teams/STL/2010.shtml
    There's a reason they are 16-8. The rest of the division is .500 at best.
    Unless several of these guys 'come back to earth' the Reds/Brewers/Cubs could be looking at wild card or go home by mid season.

2. Turn Off Ads?
    The Future is Now Ghosts of 1990's Avatar

Re: the 16-8 Cards are really good

Reyes, Hawksworth, Franklin and Molina have all been pretty good as well.
    2009 Attendance Record: 3-5 2010 Attendance Record: 2-9 2015 Attendance Record: 2-0
    2011 Attendance Record: 3-4 2012 Attendance Record: 3-4
    2013 Attendance Record: 5-2 2014 Attendance Record: 3-1

Quote Originally Posted by Will M View Post
    preseason i looked at the Cards as being fairly generic outside the "Big Four". looks like i was wrong.
    so far several other players are playing really well: Rasmus, Ludwick, Penny & Garcia to name a few.
    http://www.baseball-reference.com/teams/STL/2010.shtml
    There's a reason they are 16-8. The rest of the division is .500 at best.
    Unless several of these guys 'come back to earth' the Reds/Brewers/Cubs could be looking at wild card or go home by mid season.
    They usually do end up being better than they appear on paper, that's smart roster construction and of course genuine coaching/managing. That said I do strongly believe if this team of ours plays up to their capabilities we can be right there nipping at their heels all season and if so that makes us a leader for a W/C if St. Louis doesn't slip.
    "You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one."

--Woody Hayes

Quote Originally Posted by Mario-Rijo View Post
    They usually do end up being better than they appear on paper, that's smart roster construction and of course genuine coaching/managing. That said I do strongly believe if this team of ours plays up to their capabilities we can be right there nipping at their heels all season and if so that makes us a leader for a W/C if St. Louis doesn't slip.
    I tend to agree with you. The Reds are at .500 after the first month despite...

* terrible starting pitching across the board (other than Leake)
    * an offense that was basically comprised of 2.5 players
    * an unexpectedly fragile bullpen and porous defense

Two key players--Bruce and Bailey--have recently begun to show signs of life, as have some previously reliable vets (Harang comes to mind). I think the Reds could end up being pretty good after all. *Knock on wood*
    “Every level he goes to, he is going to compete. They will know who he is at every level he goes to.” -- ED on EDLC

here's a mental exercise. lets say Pujols tore an elbow ligament & needed TJ surgery (and was out for the year).

Cards would have Holliday, Rasmus & Ludwick to bat 3-4-5.
    Support players Molina, Freese, Shumaker.
    Two aces & two other pitchers pitching well (Penny & Garcia).
    A deep if not overpowering pen.

The Reds would be about equal offensively. Better pen & defense but worse starters.

So WITHOUT Pujols the teams are about equal IMO. The way the Cards have played so far I can see them winning 100 games. The Reds? Hope for 85.

I think the Reds can compete with them on most days. Nearly every player is playing over their head so far this year....many will come back to earth.

The Reds have nearly every player off to a dismal start, and yet are around

I'm not crowning the birds just yet.
    Baseball is like church. Many attend, few understand

The Reds have held Ryan Ludwick, Albert Pujols, Matt Holliday, and Colby Rasmus in check this series, mostly limiting them to singles and walks, and yet the Reds are on the verge of losing two of three because they can't get scrubs like Brendan Ryan, David Freese, Nick Stavinoha out. Oh, and the offense scoring just six runs in three games didn't help either. The Reds should have won two out of three. They had a chance to open some eyes by winning a series in St. Louis but they failed to do so.

BTW, If I was Dusty Baker I would tell my pitchers the next time they walk a hitter in front of Albert Pujols they will immediately be fined after the game.

Quote Originally Posted by OnBaseMachine View Post
    BTW, If I was Dusty Baker I would tell my pitchers the next time they walk a hitter in front of Albert Pujols they will immediately be fined after the game.
    Wouldn't it be nice if the Reds hitters ahead of Votto to have the same kind of awareness of their main goal in life?
    Baseball is like church. Many attend, few understand

Titanic Struggles Caveat Emperor's Avatar

He's probably a good part of the reason why people are getting walked -- pitchers aren't focusing on the guy at the plate, they're thinking about the guy in the on-deck circle.

Incidentally -- I can't wait until Pujols gets dealt at the deadline when the Cardinals realize they can't afford to re-sign him.
    Cincinnati Reds: Farm System Champions 2022

Quote Originally Posted by Caveat Emperor View Post
    He's probably a good part of the reason why people are getting walked -- pitchers aren't focusing on the guy at the plate, they're thinking about the guy in the on-deck circle.

Incidentally -- I can't wait until Pujols gets dealt at the deadline when the Cardinals realize they can't afford to re-sign him.
    They've got an option on him for next year, which at $16 million is a bargain.

Titanic Struggles Caveat Emperor's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by hebroncougar View Post
    They've got an option on him for next year, which at $16 million is a bargain.
    I thought it was a player option for 2011 -- my mistake. He should seek new representation for the next contract, in that case.
    Cincinnati Reds: Farm System Champions 2022

Quote Originally Posted by Caveat Emperor View Post
    Agreed. I hope the Yankees offer him a deal he can't refuse.

Agreed. I hope the Yankees offer him a deal he can't refuse.
    I don't think the Yanks will be in play with all that money tied in Tex. I think the Red Sox on the other end may be big players.

Anyway, the Cards are ridiculously good. I think I might take their rotation over any other in baseball right now. I think they might be World Series bound.

Cards RS 117 RA 76 DIFF +41
    117/25 4.68, projection RS 758
    76/25 3.04, projection RA 492, 758 - 492 projection DIFF +266

Cubs RS 129 RA 117 DIFF +12
    129/26 4.96, projection RS 803
    117/26 4.50, projection RA 729, 803 - 729 projection DIFF +74

Brewers RS 128 RA 130 DIFF -2
    128/24 5.33, projection RS 864
    130/24 5.42, projection RA 878, 864 - 878 projection DIFF -14

Reds RS 109 RA 138 DIFF -29
    109/25 4.36, projection RS 706,