Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Roy Oswalt

All work and no play..... Vottomatic's Avatar

Roy Oswalt

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2010/0...n-marlins.html

Anyone interested in trading for him?

Trade the Astros Harang, Francisco, and Valaika.

They take on Harang's contract for the rest of this season and they're done with the big money. We take on Oswalt's contract the rest of this season and next.

The 'Stros aren't going anywhere this season. We gain a true #1 or #2 pitcher who always keeps you in games. He has never had a .500 or losing record in any season. And he has started 30+ games the last 5 or 6 years each.
    "I can't take this homerism anymore." - 10xWSChamps, August 11, 2010. A Cardinals fan having a problem with all the homerism on Redszone. Classic.

"Man do I miss the days where were didn't need a calculator and an encyclopedia of baseball metrics to enjoy a baseball game ... - MikeS21" - 8/2/12 game thread

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Roy Oswalt

Finding the money to do the deal is going to be the biggest issue, because I doubt they take Harang. I think if they are going to add anyone it has to be a LF bat. The Reds LF production is pretty bad this year.

Harang makes $12.5M this year and Oswalt makes $15M. They can't find $2.5M?

Then there's not hope for this organization.
    "I can't take this homerism anymore." - 10xWSChamps, August 11, 2010. A Cardinals fan having a problem with all the homerism on Redszone. Classic.

"Man do I miss the days where were didn't need a calculator and an encyclopedia of baseball metrics to enjoy a baseball game ... - MikeS21" - 8/2/12 game thread

Quote Originally Posted by Vottomatic View Post
    Harang makes $12.5M this year and Oswalt makes $15M. They can't find $2.5M?

Then there's not hope for this organization.
    You didnt read my post apparently.

He sure could hit HalMorrisRules's Avatar

Horse....cart

I dont know if anybody knows how much money is coming off the books after the season but as of right now Aaron Harang, Bronson Arroyo, Mike Lincoln, Arthur Rhodes, Ramon Hernandez, Orlando Cabrera, Laynce Nix and Aaron Miles money will be coming off the books after the season plus trading Brandon Phillips and/or Coco Cordero we could see about close to 30-40 million in spending money.. This could lead us to trade away some of our younger guys for bigger stars like Roy Oswalt, Carlos Quentin, Stephen Drew, Chad Billingsley, Matt Kemp, or Nelson Cruz. Hell maybe even think bout bringing Josh Hamilton back.

Cris Carpenter is the difference between the Cards and Reds right now. Sure they have Albert and Matt, but having a #1 ace to me is the ultimate difference. They are guaranteed to win atleast one against us every time he pitches. We lack a #1 starter.

Not saying Oswalt is that. He's probably more like a #2, but I seriously doubt Bailey or Cueto develop into one.

Cris Carpenter is the difference between the Cards and Reds right now. Sure they have Albert and Matt, but having a #1 ace to me is the ultimate difference.
    Not sure I agree with that. I see what you're saying, but I firmly believe that if Albert Pujols was hitting 3rd for the Reds every night that The Reds would have a firm standing atop the division.

Part of the reason St. Louis' staff is so good is for the mere fact that they don't ever have to face Pujols.

I think the Reds pitching will come around. Give me Albert Pujols in the middle of The Reds order any day of the week and I'll start printing the playoff tickets. As much as I don't like him, the guy is a force. He's an MVP every year. Carpenter is good he's not the best of his craft in the last 50 years. Albert is.

Another problem is pitching philosophy. The Cards walk Votto in a crucial situation with first base open and the Reds throw the ball right down the middle to Pujols.

The Cards also don't pitch inside late in the game to prevent opposing HR's (stated on the broadcast). The Reds have no pitching philosophy.

I certainly agree with you there.

Never in my life have I witnessed a team walk the bases loaded for Albert Pujols two days in a row - whether it's intentional or not. Just unbelievable.

I'd take my chances throwing underhanded to Ryan Ludwick before I'd walk him to let Pujols hit with the bases jacked. He's in that Bonds category now - you just can't count on getting him out.

Another problem is pitching philosophy. The Cards walk Votto in a crucial situation with first base open and the Reds throw the ball right down the middle to Pujols.

The Cards also don't pitch inside late in the game to prevent opposing HR's (stated on the broadcast). The Reds have no pitching philosophy.
    I believe they do... I think all the years Dusty managed Bonds and all those intentional walks given to him probably reversed physiologiced him into pitching to these guys. Cause none of them are as good as Bonds or Hank...

It has to be Dusty's doing because we are on our second pitching coach and been through 40 or so pitchers on the staff and every one of them pitch him the same exact way...
    If you can't be a good example... then you'll just have to be a horrible warning...

Nothing tastes as good as being fit feels...

The Reds are looking to go young and cheap with their pitching staff.

Taking on Oswalt's contract for 2011 and 2012 doesn't fit in their plans.

Trading Harang and/or letting him walk after the season does.

IFF they are going to keep one veteran pitcher on this roster next year, it will be Arroyo.
    Big if, considering the following guys could be available as SP's next year:

Cueto
    Bailey
    Leake
    Volquez
    Chapman

Wood
    Maloney
    Lecure
    Owings (probably not offered Arb however)

PEACE

-BLEEDS
    I think that in a year or two, one of these guys - Frazier, Dorn, Valaika, Cumberland, Stubbs - will be ready to replace Dunn. They won't hit as many home runs as Dunn, but they should have similar OPS. - 757690, July 22, 2008

Alonso will be playing 1B for the REDS and batting 4th one year from today. - Kingspoint, July 9, 2009

Quote Originally Posted by The Operator View Post
    I certainly agree with you there.

Never in my life have I witnessed a team walk the bases loaded for Albert Pujols two days in a row - whether it's intentional or not. Just unbelievable.

I'd take my chances throwing underhanded to Ryan Ludwick before I'd walk him to let Pujols hit with the bases jacked. He's in that Bonds category now - you just can't count on getting him out.
    Your forgetting how they pulled that move many times last year also

Quote Originally Posted by BLEEDS View Post
    The Reds are looking to go young and cheap with their pitching staff.

Taking on Oswalt's contract for 2011 and 2012 doesn't fit in their plans.

Trading Harang and/or letting him walk after the season does.

IFF they are going to keep one veteran pitcher on this roster next year, it will be Arroyo.
    Big if, considering the following guys could be available as SP's next year:

Cueto
    Bailey
    Leake
    Volquez
    Chapman

Wood
    Maloney
    Lecure
    Owings (probably not offered Arb however)

PEACE

-BLEEDS
    The problem is, none of those guys even come close to being a #1 pitcher. Good luck battling Carpenter and Wainwright with all our #3, 4, and 5 pitchers. Forever in 2nd place we will finish until we get a #1 pitcher. Chapman isn't even close to being ready to assume that role.

Oswalt is the answer if they could swing it. Houston is already out of it.

Reds Fan 4 life!!!!!

Leake again pitched like a #1. Get rid of the big contracts, lets sign the young guys long term, Evan Longoria style and let the good times roll.
    "Ahh, Jesus, I like him very much, but He no help with curveball." - Serrano. "Are you trying to say Jesus Christ can't hit a curveball?" - Harris in Major League (1989)

Turn Off Ads?