Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 48 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: Drew Stubbs

Drew Stubbs

.240/.275/.285/.559
    .205/.238/.344/.582

Willy Tavers and Corey Patterson, the whipping boys of redszone (and rightfully so) the last two season. Dusty and Jocketty would brutally ripped for having them on the team, and batting them leadoff.

I understand here at redzone we all love our prospects, but the fact that it's nearly silent how bad Drew Stubbs has been is surprising.

.176/.287/.257/.544

Drew Stubbs has actually managed to be worse than both of them, offensively. It really should come as a surprise to nobody that he's been bad, because he wasn't any good in the minors.

Stubbs needs to be sent to AAA, and try to figure something out to cutdown on his strikeouts with his swing. He doesn't hit for any power, so there's no reason for him to strikeout as much as he does.

I have no idea if Heisey is better, and he may not be, but something has to be changed at this point.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Drew Stubbs: Uncle

Quote Originally Posted by reds44 View Post
    I understand here at redzone we all love our prospects, but the fact that it's nearly silent how bad Drew Stubbs has been is surprising.
    Silent? Really? There's two Drew Stubbs related threads on the first page alone. Stubbs is one of, if not the most bashed player on Redszone.

BTW, I'd drop him in the lineup before I'd send him to AAA.
    Last edited by OnBaseMachine; 05-02-2010 at 04:58 PM.

Flash the leather! _Sir_Charles_'s Avatar

I'm not so sure. Stubbs absolutely crushed the ball this series. How many did he smash to the wall in center?

3 games in Houston, 4 for 9 with 3 walks
    3 games in St.Louis, 1 for 12 with a double off the wall and 4 smashed to the wall in center

He's pretty far from one of our biggest worries IMO.
    Last edited by _Sir_Charles_; 05-02-2010 at 05:01 PM.

High five!

This is totally untrue.

.240/.275/.285/.559
    .205/.238/.344/.582

Willy Tavers and Corey Patterson, the whipping boys of redszone (and rightfully so) the last two season. Dusty and Jocketty would brutally ripped for having them on the team, and batting them leadoff.

.176/.287/.257/.544

Drew Stubbs has actually managed to be worse than both of them, offensively. It really should come as a surprise to nobody that he's been bad, because he wasn't any good in the minors.

Stubbs needs to be sent to AAA, and try to figure something out to cutdown on his strikeouts with his swing. He doesn't hit for any power, so there's no reason for him to strikeout as much as he does.

I have no idea if Heisey is better, and he may not be, but something has to be changed at this point.
    Even struggling and getting a bit unlucky he's still better than the smucks we had in CF that shall remain nameless. Even without the luck he's still finding 1b MORE than those two who shall remain nameless did. Give him time at one point one of the aforementioned smucks was leading the team in hitting we know how that ended.

Stubbs is one of the most cross examined guys on this team not because of him but because of who he isnt (he too shall remain nameless for those who are tired of the debates). Will he ever be even Good Farny (Freel) with the bat who knows thats something for another thread. He's young and unless you want to top load the lineup, with Votto, leadoff hitters are few across the league not just with us.

I do not think that Hanigan gets the playing time or would be as good at the top of the order just because then teams have to come after him, batting 7th or 8th he can take advantage of teams playing odds and giving us an extra baserunner and get the lineup turned over quicker.
    Quote Originally Posted by teamselig
    The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change, the realist adjusts the sails.

William Arthur Ward

I've been as vocal of a Stubbs basher as anyone this side of TRF, but at this point with Dickerson on the DL I'm not sure what else we can really do. As others have said, he MUST be dropped in the lineup at a minimum. I would also be rotating Nix in CF to play against righties, and if Stubbs doesn't pull his act together soon, I'd give Heisey a shot.

As I've said a dozen times, when he doesn't punish pitchers with power, they are going to come at him (as they have done.) The plate discipline he showed in the minors really doesn't mean much if he doesn't have the power to scare major league pitchers away.

The guy simply didn't hit in the minors, and he isn't hitting now. I'd try dropping him to 7th in the order for the next week or two, then give Heisey and Nix a shot to claim the job if things don't improve.
    Go BLUE!!!

You can send him down but I wouldn't expect much from the guys in AAA since nobody seems to be hitting.

Quote Originally Posted by Benihana View Post
    I've been as vocal of a Stubbs basher as anyone this side of TRF, but at this point with Dickerson on the DL I'm not sure what else we can really do. As others have said, he MUST be dropped in the lineup at a minimum. I would also be rotating Nix in CF to play against righties, and if Stubbs doesn't pull his act together soon, I'd give Heisey a shot.

As I've said a dozen times, when he doesn't punish pitchers with power, they are going to come at him (as they have done.) The plate discipline he showed in the minors really doesn't mean much if he doesn't have the power to scare major league pitchers away.

The guy simply didn't hit in the minors, and he isn't hitting now. I'd try dropping him to 7th in the order for the next week or two, then give Heisey and Nix a shot to claim the job if things don't improve.
    Ive given up on seeing Stubbs lower in the order as long as Dusty Baker is here for whatever reason speed no matter how good of a hitter must bat leadoff... obp be darned. Nix isnt going to improve the team much, Nix is what he is. If youre going to give someone else a shot its got to be Heisey. I like Dickerson he cannot for the life of him stay on the field and stay healthy. We don't have a true hitter in CF until someone takes the bull by the horns and show they can do it consistantly and stay healthy in the process.
    Quote Originally Posted by teamselig
    The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change, the realist adjusts the sails.

William Arthur Ward

the difference is simply this (this is in no way an endorsement of Stubbs), Patterson and Taveras had already established who they were by the time they got to Cincinnati. Everyone knew what was coming, with Stubbs there is some hope, even if it is small.

Quote Originally Posted by flyer85 View Post
    the difference is simply this (this is in no way an endorsement of Stubbs), Patterson and Taveras had already established who they were by the time they got to Cincinnati. Everyone knew what was coming, with Stubbs there is some hope, even if it is small.
    One could argue that Stubbs had shown who he was before he arrived as well. 25 years old and a career .765 OPS in the minor leagues isn't exactly something to get all jazzed up about. Just saying.

If you look at Reds OF prospects who have come through the system in the last fifteen years and had significant big league careers, the average drop-off from career minor league OPS to career major league OPS is about 100 points. Should Drew Stubbs be a major league starter if he can't get his OPS above .665?

Agreed there is still SOME hope. But you could argue that there was SOME hope (at the time) with Patterson as well.
    Last edited by Benihana; 05-02-2010 at 06:04 PM.
    Go BLUE!!!

Titanic Struggles Caveat Emperor's Avatar

Drew Stubbs has been pretty awful this year -- after being pretty mediocre his entire career in the minors.

The difference between him and RZ whipping boys Taveras/Patterson? There isn't a better option anywhere else on the team or in the minors right now.

For better or worse, they're stuck with Drew Stubbs until someone in the minors plays their way up to CF or the team acquires a better player.
    Cincinnati Reds: Farm System Champions 2022

Taveras 09
    April .351 .338 .689
    May .307 .333 .640

Patterson 08
    April .292 .488 .780
    May .180 .197 .377

Stubbs 10
    April .301 .271 .572
    Update Apr/May
    Drew Stubbs .179 .286 .269 .555

What does that say? That there are exceptions to speed always leading off ?

Could be worse, you could have Stubbs/Gomes batting one two.
    Drew Stubbs .179 .286 .269 .555
    Jonny Gomes .213 .250 .361 .611
    Last edited by Spring~Fields; 05-02-2010 at 06:16 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Caveat Emperor View Post
    The difference between him and RZ whipping boys Taveras/Patterson? There isn't a better option anywhere else on the team or in the minors right now.
    Also, Stubbs is making the minimum while Taveras and Patterson made good money.
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    Chip is right

I would complain about Stubbs if he was playing ahead of Dickerson. But now that Dickerson's injured there isn't really a point. Probably not anyone better right now. (though he really should be moved down in the lineup)

Willie Taveras on May 13, 2009

.322 .382 .413 .796

Corey Patterson on May 2, 2008

.214 .280 .464 .744

Moral:

It's early.
    "Imagination is more important than knowledge." -- Albert Einstein

Turn Off Ads?