Turn Off Ads?
Page 37 of 48 FirstFirst ... 2733343536373839404147 ... LastLast

Thread: Drew Stubbs

Re: Drew Stubbs

After another blast of a homerun last night and four more RBI he is up to a .767 OPS with 22 HR and 77 rbi on the season. Which, I think, has to crush pretty much any reasonable expectations anyone had.

When the riddle of how the Reds won the NL Central this year is puzzled out after the season, a lot of time will be spent, I think, on just how good Drew Stubbs has been.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by lollipopcurve View Post
    He's getting better.
    That's what he showed the ability to do every year in the minors; it's been the best point in his favor all along. Obviously tremendously talented, he seems also to have the ability to identify what he needs to do and to learn how to do it. Very impressive combination.

Quote Originally Posted by membengal View Post
    After another blast of a homerun last night and four more RBI he is up to a .767 OPS with 22 HR and 77 rbi on the season. Which, I think, has to crush pretty much any reasonable expectations anyone had.

When the riddle of how the Reds won the NL Central this year is puzzled out after the season, a lot of time will be spent, I think, on just how good Drew Stubbs has been.
    It's more than i thought he was capable of at the beginning of the season. I came around on his power in June.

This isn't a back-handed compliment, but I think his overall numbers are better than his season, similar to Gomes, but not as bad as Gomes. He's still streaky. He had 3 fantastic months, and one of those was a Votto-like month, September. He also had 3 very bad months. Since the ASB, he's got an .847 OPS. I actually think he can be an .830+ OPS guy over the course of a season, possibly as soon as next year.

And that would make him the best CF in baseball.

god that burns to type, but in a good way. I've never enjoyed being wrong more.
    Dubito Ergo Cogito Ergo Sum.

If he could cut out about 50 strikeouts, I really think he could be an all-star next year.

I'd rather listen to Kelch read the phone book than suffer through Thom Brennaman's attempt to make every instance on the field the most important event since the discovery of manned space flight. -westofyou

Quote Originally Posted by TRF View Post
    It's more than i thought he was capable of at the beginning of the season. I came around on his power in June.

This isn't a back-handed compliment, but I think his overall numbers are better than his season, similar to Gomes, but not as bad as Gomes. He's still streaky. He had 3 fantastic months, and one of those was a Votto-like month, September. He also had 3 very bad months. Since the ASB, he's got an .847 OPS. I actually think he can be an .830+ OPS guy over the course of a season, possibly as soon as next year.

And that would make him the best CF in baseball.

god that burns to type, but in a good way. I've never enjoyed being wrong more.
    His numbers are trending forward, esp. since his benching. I'd say he may have turned the corner, so I'm not sure its fair to say that "his overall numbers are better than his season."
    "Rounding 3rd and heading for home, good night everybody"

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Someone pegged him at a .770 OPS at the start of the year, though with a .345 OBP and .425 SLG.
    http://redsminorleagues.com/2010/03/...-and-notes-14/

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    Someone pegged him at a .770 OPS at the start of the year, though with a .345 OBP and .425 SLG.
    http://redsminorleagues.com/2010/03/...-and-notes-14/
    Yes, but for the longest time...you appeared unreasonable!

Yes, but for the longest time...you appeared unreasonable!
    Ha. I guess that is one way we could look at it

Quote Originally Posted by traderumor View Post
    His numbers are trending forward, esp. since his benching. I'd say he may have turned the corner, so I'm not sure its fair to say that "his overall numbers are better than his season."
    well you could discount what happened prior to the benching. I'd rather see the big picture though. And the big picture is the same as it always has been: can Drew Stubbs adjust?

My biggest complaint was not with Stubbs but with how he was handled 2009 was the first time since 2007 that he played at one level for the bulk of the season. As doug pointed out so often, Stubbs was a raw talent, so why the rush in 2008? it wasn't like he dominated any levels warranting the promotion. Pitchers adjusted to Stubbs quickly in 08 and 09 and again in 2010. The question was, could he make adjustments to his game. Right now it seems he has, but I'd like his 50/50 season to become at least 60/40 next year. 4 months with an average to above average OPS. Then shoot for 5. The streakiness hurts his overall offensive game, but his last three months show that may be coming to an end too.

Charlie Brown All-Star IslandRed's Avatar

When it comes right down to it, Stubbs still has a swing that's susceptible to slumps and streaks. But this year, it seems like he's worked his way out of the slumps quicker, and there's more power when he's not slumping. Going forward, he may still have those two-week stretches where he can't hit water falling out of a boat, but I think we'll be happy with the season-long production.
    Reading comprehension is not just an ability, it's a choice

Quote Originally Posted by TRF View Post
    well you could discount what happened prior to the benching. I'd rather see the big picture though. And the big picture is the same as it always has been: can Drew Stubbs adjust?

My biggest complaint was not with Stubbs but with how he was handled 2009 was the first time since 2007 that he played at one level for the bulk of the season. As doug pointed out so often, Stubbs was a raw talent, so why the rush in 2008? it wasn't like he dominated any levels warranting the promotion. Pitchers adjusted to Stubbs quickly in 08 and 09 and again in 2010. The question was, could he make adjustments to his game. Right now it seems he has, but I'd like his 50/50 season to become at least 60/40 next year. 4 months with an average to above average OPS. Then shoot for 5. The streakiness hurts his overall offensive game, but his last three months show that may be coming to an end too.
    There's no "discounting," simply disagree that there is overall inflation in his YTD numbers and that the trend is toward someone showing adjustment.

But if you must, why discount the positive numbers as your post indicated we should?
    "Rounding 3rd and heading for home, good night everybody"

After showing one of Stubbs' homers, MLB Network did a short graphic and commentary depicting MLB's true 5-tool players, with Stubbs getting credit as one who's emerging as that type of talent. That was fun to see.
    "I can make all the stadiums rock."
    -Air Supply

Quote Originally Posted by RichRed View Post
    After showing one of Stubbs' homers, MLB Network did a short graphic and commentary depicting MLB's true 5-tool players, with Stubbs getting credit as one who's emerging as that type of talent. That was fun to see.
    Apparently MLB Network doesn't know that there is a 'hit tool'. Stubbs may have the other 4, but he is never going to have a true 'hit tool' because he just swings and misses way too much.

Quote Originally Posted by traderumor View Post
    There's no "discounting," simply disagree that there is overall inflation in his YTD numbers and that the trend is toward someone showing adjustment.

But if you must, why discount the positive numbers as your post indicated we should?
    You shouldn't. Both the good and bad are what he is this year. I'm hoping for more good next year as i stated in my last post.

wow. check this out. NL only.

http://espn.go.com/mlb/stats/batting...OPS/order/true

All MLB CF's min 225 PA's since the ASB

http://espn.go.com/mlb/stats/batting.../OPS/minpa/225

That is who i hope he is.
    Last edited by TRF; 10-01-2010 at 01:23 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    Apparently MLB Network doesn't know that there is a 'hit tool'. Stubbs may have the other 4, but he is never going to have a true 'hit tool' because he just swings and misses way too much.
    Which probably means he should be a #5-6 type hitter instead of, say, a leadoff hitter then, no?

I wonder where The Reds see him fitting into the lineup long term.
    Quote Originally Posted by BCubb2003 View Post
    Don't worry. I'd say the game threads are about league average.
    Phil Castellini puts the FUN in Trust Fund.

Turn Off Ads?