Turn Off Ads?
Page 44 of 48 FirstFirst ... 34404142434445464748 LastLast

Thread: Drew Stubbs

Re: Drew Stubbs

Quote Originally Posted by gilpdawg View Post
    Earl Weaver didn't have to carry 12 pitchers either, which is a huge reason why platooning is not as widespread as it once was.
    Some teams carry 13 which is borderline crazy IMHO.
    "This isn’t stats vs scouts - this is stats and scouts working together, building an organization that blends the best of both worlds. This is the blueprint for how a baseball organization should be run. And, whether the baseball men of the 20th century like it or not, this is where baseball is going."---Dave Cameron, U.S.S. Mariner

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by gilpdawg View Post
    Earl Weaver didn't have to carry 12 pitchers either, which is a huge reason why platooning is not as widespread as it once was.
    Very true. 2 extra position players on the bench would do this team wonders.

At least if they were guys not already in the Reds organization anyway...
    School's out. What did you expect?

Quote Originally Posted by reds44 View Post
    Meanwhile, Valdez is batting 2nd and playing CF tonight. In San Diego. A giant ballpark.
    Stop the madness.
    "I can make all the stadiums rock."
    -Air Supply

Quote Originally Posted by RichRed View Post
    Stop the madness.
    Right now I like Valdez at the plate a lot more than Stubbs even giving up the defensive difference. Never thought I'd say that

Quote Originally Posted by RedlegJake View Post
    Right now I like Valdez at the plate a lot more than Stubbs even giving up the defensive difference. Never thought I'd say that
    It's the batting 2nd part that leaves me shaking my head the most.
    -Air Supply

Quote Originally Posted by RichRed View Post
    It's the batting 2nd part that leaves me shaking my head the most.
    Unfortunately when 5 of your 8 everyday players (6 when mes is catching) are OBP challenged there really isn't a good way to shuffle the deck.
    School's out. What did you expect?

You've seen Drew bat lately, no?
    That's a loaded question. Yes, I've seen him bat lately. His results are about as bad as can be. Two-week slumps happen in baseball all the time. Have you seen Zack Cozart over the past two weeks? Terrible. Ryan Hanigan? Even worse. Let's cut bait with both of them while we can still get something of value for them. Or are you going to say that two weeks isn't enough of a sample size?

Instead of complaining about Stubbs, why don't we complain about Heisey? In terms of WAR, Heisey has been even worse over the past month. Let's trade him, too. And who would you rather have on the roster? Drew Stubbs or Miguel Cairo? Wilson Valdez? Why single out Stubbs? Because he's in a slump? Where's your patience?

A few weeks isn't enough time to judge how good of a baseball player someone is. If so, nearly every Hall of Famer would've been cut multiple times in his career. I understand being frustrated with Stubbs' performance, but we need to be patient. I'm not saying he's a future All-Star, and I'm not even saying he'll be good. But he's the Reds' best option, and when his numbers start to get closer to the mean, you'll realize it was a bad idea to try to get rid of him when his stock was at an all-time low.

Quote Originally Posted by camisadelgolf View Post
    That's a loaded question. Yes, I've seen him bat lately. His results are about as bad as can be. Two-week slumps happen in baseball all the time. Have you seen Zack Cozart over the past two weeks? Terrible. Ryan Hanigan? Even worse. Let's cut bait with both of them while we can still get something of value for them. Or are you going to say that two weeks isn't enough of a sample size?

Instead of complaining about Stubbs, why don't we complain about Heisey? In terms of WAR, Heisey has been even worse over the past month. Let's trade him, too. And who would you rather have on the roster? Drew Stubbs or Miguel Cairo? Wilson Valdez? Why single out Stubbs? Because he's in a slump? Where's your patience?

A few weeks isn't enough time to judge how good of a baseball player someone is. If so, nearly every Hall of Famer would've been cut multiple times in his career. I understand being frustrated with Stubbs' performance, but we need to be patient. I'm not saying he's a future All-Star, and I'm not even saying he'll be good. But he's the Reds' best option, and when his numbers start to get closer to the mean, you'll realize it was a bad idea to try to get rid of him when his stock was at an all-time low.
    Well yeah, the last two weeks, or the last season and a half. Same difference.
    Quote Originally Posted by Scooter View Post
    A little bit off topic, but do you guys think that Jesse Winker profiles more like Pete Rose or is he just the next Hal Morris??

Quote Originally Posted by pedro View Post
    Unfortunately when 5 of your 8 everyday players (6 when mes is catching) are OBP challenged there really isn't a good way to shuffle the deck.
    I hear ya, pedro, but there's OBP-challenged and there's OBP-incompetent. Valdez's career OBP is .287. Even on this team, Valdez is a #8 level hitter.
    -Air Supply

I agree with you. I've about given up on Stubbs. He just doesn't get it. Use your talents, which is speed. But instead he goes up there hacking away every ab. Maybe they can pick up a leadoff CF before the trading deadline. I'm not holdng my breath though.
    Reds Fan Since 1971

Well yeah, the last two weeks, or the last season and a half. Same difference.
    Up until about a month or so ago, you probably could've said the same about Ludwick. Drew Stubbs isn't the problem. In fact, he's not even a problem. He's utilized incorrectly. Any team would be thrilled to have him. The problem is the lack of depth and complementary pieces.

Up until about a month or so ago, you probably could've said the same about Ludwick. Drew Stubbs isn't the problem. In fact, he's not even a problem. He's utilized incorrectly. Any team would be thrilled to have him. The problem is the lack of depth and complementary pieces.
    I think the Reds should be looking to upgrade in LF too. Preaching to the choir there. And good, if any team would be thrilled to have Stubbs I hope they deal him by the 31st and get something in return.
    Quote Originally Posted by Scooter View Post
    A little bit off topic, but do you guys think that Jesse Winker profiles more like Pete Rose or is he just the next Hal Morris??

"So Fla Red"

Replacing a career .319 OBP and .716 OPS CF with a career .287 OBP and .613 OPS guy playing out of position, but for a night or two sure I'll play along

Agree to disagree here. Hes absolutely used incorrectly, but I'm firmly entrenched in the camp that says he's sub par, regardless of the the current 0-fer.

Stubbs' #'s and production have been declining steadily since the end of 2010. A hot streak won't increase his value either.

I don't know what they do with him exactly, but just about anybody who can play CF adequately is a better option at this point.

Turn Off Ads?