Turn Off Ads?
Page 32 of 48 FirstFirst ... 2228293031323334353642 ... LastLast

Thread: Drew Stubbs

Re: Drew Stubbs

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post
    Brewers CF Cain has whiplash from his slam in the wall last night.
    No surprise there. Good thing it's not a concussion. Good article on ESPN.Com today about baseball players and concussions.

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/column...rry&id=5513306
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    I was wrong
    Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    Chip is right

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post
    Brewers CF Cain has whiplash from his slam in the wall last night.
    And that is precisely my thing with Stubbs. You may get up and arms about him not laying our or not being good around the wall, but he is in there day in day out. Cain wasn't in the lineup yesterday and probably won't be in the lineup today. I would much rather give up a leadoff double to the 8 hitter in the lineup than see my starting CF lose a week's worth of playing time.

And that is precisely my thing with Stubbs. You may get up and arms about him not laying our or not being good around the wall, but he is in there day in day out. Cain wasn't in the lineup yesterday and probably won't be in the lineup today. I would much rather give up a leadoff double to the 8 hitter in the lineup than see my starting CF lose a week's worth of playing time.
    I believe Stubbs could be more aggressive on some plays in which he would not be putting himself at risk.

I have to agree with the sentiment that some plays at the wall are not worth trying to make. But that does not include all plays at the wall.

Quote Originally Posted by TheNext44 View Post
    Take away Stubbs mental mistakes early in the year, and he's one of the best defensive CF in the game, easily top ten, maybe top five. I think UZR has it just about right, because when you do account for those mistakes, he's about average.

As for Gomes, I don't think there ever will exist a defensive rating system that could measure how horrible he truely is in LF. He's slow, gets terrible jumps on balls, has terrible fundamentals, and terrible decision making. His only redeeming factor on defense is that he has a lot of heart and tries really hard. I believe that last part makes it seem like he's not as bad as he really is.

UZR might not be great at precision shading, but its take on Stubbs and Gomes this year are not examples of it.
    To me the worst thing w/ Gomes in LF is his decision making. His range has been ok to me (for a LF), but he makes so many poor decisions, trying to throw a runner out at home that he has no shot at, allowing those on base to move up an extra base. I think its part of his mentality, its all out, all the time, and he never lets up, I don't think his brain would allow him to not throw home on a situation he thinks he has even a 5% chance ot being successful

Running into walls is going to happen. That doesn't mean it is advisable. Eric Davis lost a lot of games to the Wrigley brick. KGJ lost a lot of games due to the "I am going to catch every ball no matter what" mentality. The Josh Hamilton rule is in place in Texas, even moving him to help prevent wall crashing chances. I really think it is an unrealistic expectation that an OFer should lay out on the dead run, or head full speed into a hard wall for a random catch.
    "Rounding 3rd and heading for home, good night everybody"

.743 OPS on the year after hitting his 18th HR of the year last night. I think he's going to be patrolling CF in GABP for the next 5 years or so.

Quote Originally Posted by Homer Bailey View Post
    .743 OPS on the year after hitting his 18th HR of the year last night. I think he's going to be patrolling CF in GABP for the next 5 years or so.
    Until he prices himself out of Cincy or until Yorman takes over?
    “Every level he goes to, he is going to compete. They will know who he is at every level he goes to.” -- ED on EDLC

Quote Originally Posted by traderumor View Post
    Running into walls is going to happen. That doesn't mean it is advisable. Eric Davis lost a lot of games to the Wrigley brick. KGJ lost a lot of games due to the "I am going to catch every ball no matter what" mentality. The Josh Hamilton rule is in place in Texas, even moving him to help prevent wall crashing chances. I really think it is an unrealistic expectation that an OFer should lay out on the dead run, or head full speed into a hard wall for a random catch.
    Sure hasn't worked well for Josh Hamilton

News: Hamilton (ribs) took about 25 swings Tuesday before stopping due to pain in his ribs, the Fort Worth Star-Telegram reports.

Spin: An MRI over the weekend revealed three bruised ribs and some inflammation, but the Rangers still have no potential timetable for the slugger's return.
    School's out. What did you expect?

Quote Originally Posted by Homer Bailey View Post
    For his rookie season, I think he has exceeded everyone's expectations...except maybe dougdirt.

Last year was his rookie year actually.

Quote Originally Posted by camisadelgolf View Post
    Last year was his rookie year actually.
    Well if we want to get complicated, Drew Stubbs finished one year in the big leagues on August 9th. He has now played in 178 games.
    Hugs, smiling, and interactive Twitter accounts, don't mean winning baseball. Until this community understands that we are cursed to relive the madness.

Quote Originally Posted by pedro View Post
    Sure hasn't worked well for Josh Hamilton

News: Hamilton (ribs) took about 25 swings Tuesday before stopping due to pain in his ribs, the Fort Worth Star-Telegram reports.

Spin: An MRI over the weekend revealed three bruised ribs and some inflammation, but the Rangers still have no potential timetable for the slugger's return.
    Luckily for us, Stubbs didn't spend multiple years of his life doing crack.
    Last edited by reds44; 09-16-2010 at 08:33 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Scooter View Post
    A little bit off topic, but do you guys think that Jesse Winker profiles more like Pete Rose or is he just the next Hal Morris??

Quote Originally Posted by fearofpopvol1 View Post
    For his rookie season, I think he has exceeded everyone's expectations...except maybe dougdirt.
    The dude ought to get a LOT of credit for that one. He took some major grief over Stubbs...and Mesoraco. Reminds me a little of Dusty.
    Tim McCarver: Baseball Quotes
    I remember one time going out to the mound to talk with Bob Gibson. He told me to get back behind the batter, that the only thing I knew about pitching was that it was hard to hit.

Quote Originally Posted by traderumor View Post

Just curious but what is the "Josh Hamilton Rule"? I assume something like no diving or something?
    Tim McCarver: Baseball Quotes
    I remember one time going out to the mound to talk with Bob Gibson. He told me to get back behind the batter, that the only thing I knew about pitching was that it was hard to hit.

Quote Originally Posted by paulrichjr View Post
    Just curious but what is the "Josh Hamilton Rule"? I assume something like no diving or something?
    More like no dives...
    "You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one."

--Woody Hayes

Turn Off Ads?