Turn Off Ads?
Page 22 of 48 FirstFirst ... 1218192021222324252632 ... LastLast

Thread: Drew Stubbs

Re: Drew Stubbs

Quote Originally Posted by UKFlounder View Post
    His "slash line" is almost identical to Jay Bruce's, who most people have thought was having a nice comeback year after 2009, at least until recently.

Stubbs: .251/.323/.433
    Bruce: .257/.330/.430

I don't know if this says more about Stubbs or Bruce, but I do find it interesting that their numbers are so close at this point in the season.

Stubbs has more HRs, RBI & SBs, but Bruce has more doubles.

Even their BB/K totals are similar, though Bruce has an advantage there - Stubbs 31/93 in 307 ABs and Bruce 37/88 in 335 ABs
    I was noticing this a couple of weeks ago and even commented that were they the same age Stubbs would be considered the better player.

Imagine how hard that is for me to type.

But Stubbs IS older. He's also not far from his age prime years. Bruce has 5 year to get to those, so he certainly has a chance to be scary good.

but right now, Stubbs is the better defender, and is displaying more power. And his numbers are trending slightly up where Bruce's are not.

very odd, this game of baseball. We think we know, but actually, we just don't.
    Dubito Ergo Cogito Ergo Sum.

2. Turn Off Ads?

I'm really not sure how much better of a defender Stubbs is. Certainly not on knock on Drew, but Bruce may be the best defensice RFer in baseball.
    Quote Originally Posted by Scooter View Post
    A little bit off topic, but do you guys think that Jesse Winker profiles more like Pete Rose or is he just the next Hal Morris??

Quote Originally Posted by reds44 View Post
    I'm really not sure how much better of a defender Stubbs is. Certainly not on knock on Drew, but Bruce may be the best defensice RFer in baseball.
    And Stubbs can make the same case in CF.

my fingers are burning.

Quote Originally Posted by TRF View Post
    And Stubbs can make the same case in CF.

my fingers are burning.
    TRF, Drew Stubbs fan. Incredible.

The tree that is inflexible tends to break. I'm not a fan yet, but I do love that Dusty has realized he isn't a leadoff hitter. The human element of the game is fascinating. I guess he's more relaxed in the 7th spot in the order.

51 AB's in July: .333 .382 .667 1.049

not. bad.

The tree that is inflexible tends to break. I'm not a fan yet, but I do love that Dusty has realized he isn't a leadoff hitter. The human element of the game is fascinating. I guess he's more relaxed in the 7th spot in the order.

51 AB's in July: .333 .382 .667 1.049

not. bad.
    Maybe he just started slowly.

Quote Originally Posted by pahster View Post
    Maybe he just started slowly.
    his minor league numbers don't bear that out. and while it may be a sample size alert, his power just has never been there as a leadoff hitter.

his power just has never been there as a leadoff hitter.
    During his time with the Reds in 2009 he hit for power as a leadoff guy.

his minor league numbers don't bear that out. and while it may be a sample size alert, his power just has never been there as a leadoff hitter.
    Why would he show more or less power based on his place in the lineup?

Many reasons. Some may include seeing more fastballs lower in the lineup, less pressure to work deep into counts and draw walks, being put in more situations with guys on base, meaning more fastballs, etc., etc.

Drew Stubbs is one of the very few things it looks like I may be right on.

Quote Originally Posted by Homer Bailey View Post
    Many reasons. Some may include seeing more fastballs lower in the lineup, less pressure to work deep into counts and draw walks, being put in more situations with guys on base, meaning more fastballs, etc., etc.
    Pressure seems possible, though I suspect in the aggregate batter hit about the same regardless of where they are in the lineup. Maybe Stubbs feels pressured when he hits higher in the lineup. Maybe. If he does, he's probably an outlier.

I'd be interested to see the data on how he's being pitched because I find it highly unlikely that pitchers are handling him differently now than they did at the beginning of the season. Stubbs' strengths and weaknesses are the same now as they were then, so why would pitchers change their strategy when facing him? He had a .507 OPS as a leadoff hitter this year. Batting seventh, he's got an .855 OPS. If his change in performance is due to a change in strategy on behalf of opposing pitchers, then it seems as if advanced scouts and all the people who work with video throughout the NL are bad at their jobs. That seems pretty unlikely to me. Even with runners on base, pitchers should want to face the .507 guy, not the .855 guy. This is why I suspect he just started out slow. He's been pretty much who I thought he was over the course of the season: a .750ish guy, though I admit I thought he'd have a higher OBP and a lower SLG.

Approach.

As Yogi Berra said, 90% of this game is half mental.

Just as Phillips changed his approach to hitting when he changed to the leadoff spot vs. cleanup, it's possible Stubbs had a different philosophy hitting in the leadoff spot vs. the seventh.

Technically, you are correct, his power didn't change, but it seems he is more willing to make use of it hitting lower in the order.
    "Imagination is more important than knowledge." -- Albert Einstein

I have a theory about that I'm calling a "conflict of instinct". This is just a guess mind you.

I think Stubbs baseball instincts, his natural muscle memory tend toward a power/speed game. I think his body wants to drive the ball. His speed is actually secondary to his true offensive game.

As a leadoff hitter he has been told/instructed to be more of a slap hitter. His focus was trying to reach base that way, hit that way. It's alien to him. instead of reaching base he was making outs.

In the 7th spot he's being told to hit in a way his instincts agree with.

And that seems to be working. He's getting on base more, and he's hitting for power.

Again, just my opinion, but I don't think you can remove the human element here.

Stubbs is actually better when he's more aggressive.

Perhaps hitting in the leadoff position made him too patient?

Turn Off Ads?