Turn Off Ads?
Page 11 of 48 FirstFirst ... 78910111213141521 ... LastLast

Thread: Drew Stubbs

Re: Drew Stubbs: Uncle

That triple he hit today would've been a double for probably 85-90% of MLB players.

If Stubbs can hit/maintain a .750 OPS, that would be really great for the Reds.

2. Turn Off Ads?

70 AB's as the #7 hitter now this year... .343 .395 .614 1.009

never move him from that spot.
    Dubito Ergo Cogito Ergo Sum.

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by TRF View Post
    70 AB's as the #7 hitter now this year... .343 .395 .614 1.009

never move him from that spot.
    What about moving him to 6th?

I am with you on "don't put him in the leadoff spot", though I do think one day he may make a fine #5 or 6 guy.

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post

I am with you on "don't put him in the leadoff spot", though I do think one day he may make a fine #5 or 6 guy.
    The only thing I don't like about 7th....is the ability to fully utilize his speed.
    Would the Reds be a little more hesitant w/ his running knowing the other team can force their hand with the pitcher spot coming up.

Stubbs has shown good doubles + power that makes him a candidate for the 6 spot at some point.

I really think his ceiling is as a #2 guy.....once he starts showing the ability to hit all pitches in the zone.
    Baseball is like church. Many attend, few understand

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post

I wouldn't do it yet. I'd want him to embrace his role as a power hitter lower in the lineup, let his instincts take over rather than what he thinks he should do as a hitter. I remember saying this about him as a minor leaguer, A guy with power that doesn't hit for power, doesn't have power. It was simplistic, but true. If you have a tool and don't use it, or worse, don't know how to use it, then it is of no use. Let him learn his power game lower in the order. If he's still tearing it up after the ASB, then I'd try it. His history is one of a very streaky hitter. This surge may not last long.

I Still think the Reds cost him nearly a year of development by not understanding what kind of hitter he really is.
    Dubito Ergo Cogito Ergo Sum.

Now that we're at the 1/3 of the season mark, Stubbs numbers aren't half bad. He is OPS'ing 736 on the season (749 if you count last year). I've watched his ABs and I really think he's starting to put it together at the plate. He had another great day at the plate today. If Gomes wasn't on fire, I'd move him up to the 6 hole, but no need to do that while Gomes is killing it.

On the negative side, he made 3 questionable defensive plays this series.

1.) Where he barely threw the ball in and the runner tagged up from 3rd and scored as the ball hit the mound.

2.) The incident with Gomes and the ball dropping, though I'm not sure this was totally his fault.

3.) He lazily through the ball in today late in the game and a runner tagged up from 1st base (and the ball was not at the warning track).

I really hope Dusty is talking with him about these blunders.

Quote Originally Posted by fearofpopvol1 View Post
    Now that we're at the 1/3 of the season mark, Stubbs numbers aren't half bad. He is OPS'ing 736 on the season (749 if you count last year). I've watched his ABs and I really think he's starting to put it together at the plate. He had another great day at the plate today. If Gomes wasn't on fire, I'd move him up to the 6 hole, but no need to do that while Gomes is killing it.

1.) Where he barely threw the ball in and the runner tagged up from 3rd and scored as the ball hit the mound.

2.) The incident with Gomes and the ball dropping, though I'm not sure this was totally his fault.

3.) He lazily through the ball in today late in the game and a runner tagged up from 1st base (and the ball was not at the warning track).

Not sure I'd call them 'blunders'....mostly just having the need to be aggressive on those plays. He made a catch in left center that looked like a for sure double today. The kid can flat out fly.

I'm a little concerned that he's not attempting to steal more often.....he's had plenty of chances lately and hasn't move. Any thoughts?
    Baseball is like church. Many attend, few understand

1) I didn't have an issue with this play. To be honset if that ball hadn't hit where it did it would have one hopped the catcher and been a nice play at the plate. I think Stubbs often doesn't look like he is hustling because he looks so at ease doing it.

2) Stubbs got the error but that is one Gomes. The replay showed Stubbs saying "I got it" but Gomes didn't move. If Stubbs can get to the ball it is his.

3) Didn't see that play but the catch he made in the gap I thought was a sure fire double. Great catch!

Stubbs is up to a .736 OPS, which is probably supportive of the defense and speed he provides. If he continues to get the average (and consequently OBP) up, we're looking at close to an 800 OPS guy.
    "No matter how good you are, you're going to lose one-third of your games. No matter how bad you are you're going to win one-third of your games. It's the other third that makes the difference." ~Tommy Lasorda

Quote Originally Posted by VR View Post
    He made a catch in left center that looked like a for sure double today. The kid can flat out fly.
    I thought that catch Stubbs made today was amazing. That ball looked like a definite double off the bat but somehow Stubbs caught it with ease. This wasn't just some flyball that hung up in the air, it was a frozen rope. You won't see that play on the highlight reels because he didn't dive for it but it was one of the better catches I've seen this season. I was talking about this with my dad a little while ago - very rarely do you see Stubbs have to dive for a ball because most of the time he gets a tremendous jump and catches the ball standing up.

I know I may be biased, but I watch a lot of baseball and IMO there's not a better defensive center fielder in the game than Stubbs.

I saw the play live, I'm not so sure he lazily through the ball in--IIRC, he was going away from the infield in making the catch.
    Where we gonna go?

Party like it's 1990 Blitz Dorsey's Avatar

Keep proving me wrong Drew! I'm loving it. I really didn't think this kid was ready to play everyday but he flat-out won today's game for the Reds and he's earned his keep.

Quote Originally Posted by OnBaseMachine View Post
    I thought that catch Stubbs made today was amazing. That ball looked like a definite double off the bat but somehow Stubbs caught it with ease. This wasn't just some flyball that hung up in the air, it was a frozen rope. You won't see that play on the highlight reels because he didn't dive for it but it was one of the better catches I've seen this season. I was talking about this with my dad a little while ago - very rarely do you see Stubbs have to dive for a ball because most of the time he gets a tremendous jump and catches the ball standing up.

I know I may be biased, but I watch a lot of baseball and IMO there's not a better defensive center fielder in the game than Stubbs.
    I think Franklin Gutierrez is better but really it may be an academic argument.
    "This isn’t stats vs scouts - this is stats and scouts working together, building an organization that blends the best of both worlds. This is the blueprint for how a baseball organization should be run. And, whether the baseball men of the 20th century like it or not, this is where baseball is going."---Dave Cameron, U.S.S. Mariner

bullpen or whatever
    “I don’t care,” Votto said of passing his friend and former teammate. “He’s in the past. Bye-bye, Jay.”

I think Franklin Gutierrez is better but really it may be an academic argument.
    Stubbs has a ways to go before he's as good at Gutierrez, in my opinion. Gutierrez is much more aggressive and effective when leaving his feet and on plays at the wall.

Turn Off Ads?