Turn Off Ads?
Page 18 of 48 FirstFirst ... 814151617181920212228 ... LastLast

Thread: Drew Stubbs

Re: Drew Stubbs

Quote Originally Posted by GAC View Post
    Too late. [joking]

We were barely one month into the new season, and yes, Stubbs struggled (as do a lot of players). But to compare him to Patterson and Taveras was over-reach IMO, and a downright insult to Stubbs. :
    Amen. Comparing Stubbs to Taveras really is folly IMO.

Actually, though, if Stubbs stays at his current level and never improves his contact rate, his classified ad might end up resembling Patterson's at some point: skilled, aging CF with good power and speed; has trouble getting on base.

Stubbs is probably a better defender overall, I would guess--but Corey was and is pretty good out there too IIRC...

I do expect Stubbs to improve on his current numbers. But if he doesn't, don't we have to make this comparison eventually?
    “Every level he goes to, he is going to compete. They will know who he is at every level he goes to.” -- ED on EDLC

2. Turn Off Ads?

He's got a chance to go 20/30 while playing above average defense in CF.

That's gotta exceed most expectations, right?

Party like it's 1990 Blitz Dorsey's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by GAC View Post
    Too late. [joking]

We were barely one month into the new season, and yes, Stubbs struggled (as do a lot of players). But to compare him to Patterson and Taveras was over-reach IMO, and a downright insult to Stubbs. :
    In all fairness, it wasn't just based on the first month of this season. I think I speak for all of the "Stubbs bashers" when I say it was mostly based on his career minor league numbers. Then combined with his slow start to this season, a lot of us were worried.

And I got to admit: A three HR day doesn't erase all my concerns. But it sure helps! I especially loved the one where he went the other way to RC. And he absolutely crushed the balls he pulled. I don't care that the wind was blowing out, he was crushin' him some balls.

So, we might have something here with young Mr. Stubbs. I'm still a bit skeptical, but he is coming around for sure. Another thing I will say about him: Very impressed with his maturity in post-game interviews and the like. Extremely mature for his age it would appear.

Quote Originally Posted by Blitz Dorsey View Post
    In all fairness, it wasn't just based on the first month of this season. I think I speak for all of the "Stubbs bashers" when I say it was mostly based on his career minor league numbers. Then combined with his slow start to this season, a lot of us were worried.

And I got to admit: A three HR day doesn't erase all my concerns. But it sure helps! I especially loved the one where he went the other way to RC. And he absolutely crushed the balls he pulled. I don't care that the wind was blowing out, he was crushin' him some balls.

So, we might have something here with young Mr. Stubbs. I'm still a bit skeptical, but he is coming around for sure. Another thing I will say about him: Very impressed with his maturity in post-game interviews and the like. Extremely mature for his age it would appear.
    This is exactly how I viewed it. I hope Stubbs ends up being all he can be because it will be All Star caliber, but until recently, he hadn't showed it much. Even a 3 HR day seems a little cheap when you consider that Paul Janish and Corky Miller each hit one on the same day. The jet stream must have been working.

Stubbs has shown enough power IMO to keep pitchers honest and it was my primary concern. He'll probably always struggle with contact, but a few better decisions to jump on hittable pitches early in a plate appearance could bump him up a notch. Plate discipline is not only knowing when to lay-off, but its also knowing when to jump all over a pitch. He seems to let a lot of good ones go by.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

Quote Originally Posted by mth123 View Post
    This is exactly how I viewed it. I hope Stubbs ends up being all he can be because it will be All Star caliber, but until recently, he hadn't showed it much. Even a 3 HR day seems a little cheap when you consider that Paul Janish and Corky Miller each hit one on the same day. The jet stream must have been working.

Stubbs has shown enough power IMO to keep pitchers honest and it was my primary concern. He'll probably always struggle with contact, but a few better decisions to jump on hittable pitches early in a plate appearance could bump him up a notch. Plate discipline is not only knowing when to lay-off, but its also knowing when to jump all over a pitch. He seems to let a lot of good ones go by.
    I agree but what is the Cubbies excuse then?
    "You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one."

--Woody Hayes

Quote Originally Posted by Mario-Rijo View Post
    I agree but what is the Cubbies excuse then?
    They seem like a defeated team. I'm guessing Lou steps down and they back up the truck real soon. Doesn't make a ton of sense becuase I like a lot of the players they have. Theriot, Lee and Ramirez all are having awful years. Those are the three main offensive guys. Soriano is actually doing pretty well.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

I was there. The 2nd home run was a bit wind aided, but would have been out on a windless day as well. The 1st and 3rd homers would have been out of Yellowstone National Park.

A lot of people never would have promoted him based on some of those concerns. And who'd be in center now?

The fact is, the scouting reports were accurate, and the learning continues at the major league level. Either you trust the scouts and let the guy take his lumps for awhile, or you don't.

Quote Originally Posted by Blitz Dorsey View Post

In all "fairness" you've railed against him in the game thread and others to the extent that it has begun to make RZ unreadable. The best part about Stubbs hitting three HR's is that it has the remote possibility of quieting your rage for about 24 hours before you resume telling everybody how stupid the Reds are for not starting Heisey in CF.
    School's out. What did you expect?

They seem like a defeated team. I'm guessing Lou steps down and they back up the truck real soon. Doesn't make a ton of sense becuase I like a lot of the players they have. Theriot, Lee and Ramirez all are having awful years. Those are the three main offensive guys. Soriano is actually doing pretty well.
    If Cozart isn't ready next season Ryan Theriot strikes me as a good target to go after for SS, if they decide to do so. Go after another FA SS other than OCab I mean.
    "You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one."

--Woody Hayes

I'm a Stubbs fan, always have been. But it still too early to declare that he is the CF answer for the Reds. There are still some holes in his game both offensively and defensively. It sounds like he works hard to improve and is willing to spend the time studying video tape and is receptive to coaching, so hopefully he continues to get better at the major league level.

Quote Originally Posted by pedro View Post
    In all "fairness" you've railed against him in the game thread and others to the extent that it has begun to make RZ unreadable. The best part about Stubbs hitting three HR's is that it has the remote possibility of quieting your rage for about 24 hours before you resume telling everybody how stupid the Reds are for not starting Heisey in CF.
    I usually stay out of this stuff, but posts like this do a lot more toward making Redszone unreadable than anything I've seen in the game threads lately.

The only true hole I see in Stubbs's game is his contact rate. I think he does everything else either league average or much, much better.

Quote Originally Posted by Homer Bailey View Post
    I was there. The 2nd home run was a bit wind aided, but would have been out on a windless day as well. The 1st and 3rd homers would have been out of Yellowstone National Park.

Good day for wind though,

“You could tell in BP it was going to be a good day for hitters,” Stubbs said. “The wind blowing out the way it was, all you’re looking to do is get pitches up and try to be on the ball. Not only myself, but a number of other guys were able to do that today.”

I usually stay out of this stuff, but posts like this do a lot more toward making Redszone unreadable than anything I've seen in the game threads lately.
    The game threads are insufferable. Best to be avoided.

Turn Off Ads?