Turn Off Ads?
Page 19 of 48 FirstFirst ... 915161718192021222329 ... LastLast

Thread: Drew Stubbs

Party like it's 1990 Blitz Dorsey's Avatar

Re: Drew Stubbs

Quote Originally Posted by mth123 View Post
    I usually stay out of this stuff, but posts like this do a lot more toward making Redszone unreadable than anything I've seen in the game threads lately.
    Exactly, more noise from Pedro. Doesn't comment on the actual topic, just takes shots at others. Funny how he doesn't like the posts, but keeps reading them and responding to them!

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by Mario-Rijo View Post
    If Cozart isn't ready next season Ryan Theriot strikes me as a good target to go after for SS, if they decide to do so. Go after another FA SS other than OCab I mean.
    Not a bad thought....but if Janish isn't the starting SS next year, I'd want to set my sights much, much higher.
    Baseball is like church. Many attend, few understand

Cozart is actually having a pretty solid offensive year at Louisville (OPS around .750) and word is he is very good defensively. However, if he's not ready, I agree that Theriot would be a good guy to go after next year.

Quote Originally Posted by lollipopcurve View Post
    A lot of people never would have promoted him based on some of those concerns. And who'd be in center now?

The fact is, the scouting reports were accurate, and the learning continues at the major league level. Either you trust the scouts and let the guy take his lumps for awhile, or you don't.
    It seems to me its all about expectations. Stubbs being a 1st round pick, for many, means that he must be an immediate star or he's a bust. Reds fans should have learned the hard way that the recent run of 1st round picks making it to the majors (Bruce, Bailey, and Stubbs) and sticking in the majors and being a part of team that is turning the corner is a credit to the draft and develop arm of the organization. The list of Gruler, Howington, Sowards, et al is finally becoming a distant memory. When you can develop your core with at least average youngsters, then you can go get parts to put you over the top.

Unfortunately, too many see Stubbs hitting .240 and striking out a lot as a "bust" for a 1st rounder, which to me is unreasonable expectations.
    "Rounding 3rd and heading for home, good night everybody"

Take it private guys.
    Benzinger backing and calling! And the 1990 world championship series belongs to the Cincinnati Reds!

Quote Originally Posted by Blitz Dorsey View Post
    Exactly, more noise from Pedro. Doesn't comment on the actual topic, just takes shots at others. Funny how he doesn't like the posts, but keeps reading them and responding to them!
    I think this is a bad post too. I hate all the personal stuff. Not taking sides really, just don't want it to be personal in public.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

nm
    Last edited by Tommyjohn25; 07-05-2010 at 01:08 PM.
    Benzinger backing and calling! And the 1990 world championship series belongs to the Cincinnati Reds!

This is a roster full of players that simply knows how to win games. Individual stats with this team are almost meaningless. Cairo, Janish, etc. all have individual stats that leave MUCH to be desired, but they've also helped win some crucial games. This is a team in every sense of the word. Stubbs may go 0-20 and strike out 14 times, but late in a game with runners in scoring position, he'll drive in the winning runs.

Something magical is in the air with this team, and I think Redszone as a whole should let the last 10 years go, stop arguing about silly stuff, and enjoy this summer .

Quote Originally Posted by cincrazy View Post
    This is a roster full of players that simply knows how to win games. .
    What happens on days they don't win?

Quote Originally Posted by Raisor View Post
    What happens on days they don't win?
    Then a bunch of grown men and women throw temper tantrums on an Internet message board .

I'd really like to get a better understanding of how a knowledge of winning games is different than the knowledge required to play better baseball than your opponents. Is it something that doesn't show up elsewhere in a guy's performance and cannot be attributed to an improvement in those skills?
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

I think he was mostly just trying to cast a positive vibe.

Blessed are the peacemakers and may their favorite teams rejoice in victory.
    "This isn’t stats vs scouts - this is stats and scouts working together, building an organization that blends the best of both worlds. This is the blueprint for how a baseball organization should be run. And, whether the baseball men of the 20th century like it or not, this is where baseball is going."---Dave Cameron, U.S.S. Mariner

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

According to hittrackeronline.com Stubbs HR's true distances yesterday were 417 on each of the pulled HR's and 407 on the one to right center. So no, none of the HR's were wind aided in order to leave the park.

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    According to hittrackeronline.com Stubbs HR's true distances yesterday were 417 on each of the pulled HR's and 407 on the one to right center. So no, none of the HR's were wind aided in order to leave the park.
    Yeah, all those balls were absolutely crushed. Wind-aided in terms of distance but they would have been out of any park. (Yes, including Yellowstone as was mentioned earlier. Always love any references to the movie Major League. Such as the 2010 Cleveland Indians. Really nice of them to pay tribute to that great movie by getting back to their old ways and completely sucking.)

Stubbs is showing more power than I expected. And again, the best sign by far was the ball he hit the other way. Once he starts going with the pitch instead of trying to pull everything, he will become a decent hitter perhaps. Add that with his solid defense (hopefully he becomes better near the wall) and speed and we might really have something here. Yes, I've been hard on him, but I am extremely fair when it comes to Reds players. Just try and tell it like it is. Wasn't very optimistic about Stubbs after studying his minor league numbers but he continues to improve and is still very young. And again, I like his maturity very much.

Quote Originally Posted by cincrazy View Post
    Then a bunch of grown men and women throw temper tantrums on an Internet message board .
    That's completely out of line and not true at all. The women on this board are well-behaved. ;-)

Turn Off Ads?