Turn Off Ads?
Page 20 of 48 FirstFirst ... 1016171819202122232430 ... LastLast
Results 286 to 300 of 706

Thread: Drew Stubbs

  1. #286
    Member VR's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2000
    Location
    Vancouver, Wa
    Posts
    8,569

    Re: Drew Stubbs

    Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    According to hittrackeronline.com Stubbs HR's true distances yesterday were 417 on each of the pulled HR's and 407 on the one to right center. So no, none of the HR's were wind aided in order to leave the park.
    I think Janish's was the only 'wind-aided'....although that was at least a double to the gap at any park.
    Baseball is like church. Many attend, few understand

  2. Turn Off Ads?
  3. #287
    The Big Dog mth123's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    14,722

    Re: Drew Stubbs

    Quote Originally Posted by traderumor View Post
    It seems to me its all about expectations. Stubbs being a 1st round pick, for many, means that he must be an immediate star or he's a bust. Reds fans should have learned the hard way that the recent run of 1st round picks making it to the majors (Bruce, Bailey, and Stubbs) and sticking in the majors and being a part of team that is turning the corner is a credit to the draft and develop arm of the organization. The list of Gruler, Howington, Sowards, et al is finally becoming a distant memory. When you can develop your core with at least average youngsters, then you can go get parts to put you over the top.

    Unfortunately, too many see Stubbs hitting .240 and striking out a lot as a "bust" for a 1st rounder, which to me is unreasonable expectations.
    For me that's not it at all. Scouting or no, I like to see a guy earn it by knocking down the door in the minors. .715 OPS at AAA over nearly a full season isn't knocking the door down. If the scouts are right as Lollipop suggested, it will happen. The part that I disagree with is making him the starter in the majors and letting him struggle until it does. Let him find it in AAA and then start him in the big leagues unless there are no viable alternatives. The Reds had Dickerson who was more of a known quantity and there was no need to install Stubbs until he answered those questions.

    In his case, he had a pretty solid spring and won the job. Usually I don't think Spring is the proper spot to make that decsion, but given Stubbs uneven performance in 2009 (poor in AAA and good in the big leagues) it seemed appropriate to let spring be the deciding factor. I guess since some of us raised the question we were considered bashers. Oh well, I remember when knocking the door down in AAA was mandatory.
    "All I can tell them is pick a good one and sock it." --BABE RUTH

    Having better players makes "the right time" or "the big hit" happen a lot more often. PLUS PLUS

  4. #288
    Member VR's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2000
    Location
    Vancouver, Wa
    Posts
    8,569

    Re: Drew Stubbs

    Quote Originally Posted by mth123 View Post
    For me that's not it at all. Scouting or no, I like to see a guy earn it by knocking down the door in the minors. .715 OPS at AAA over nearly a full season isn't knocking the door down. If the scouts are right as Lollipop suggested, it will happen. The part that I disagree with is making him the starter in the majors and letting him struggle until it does. Let him find it in AAA and then start him in the big leagues unless there are no viable alternatives. The Reds had Dickerson who was more of a known quantity and there was no need to install Stubbs until he answered those questions.

    In his case, he had a pretty solid spring and won the job. Usually I don't think Spring is the proper spot to make that decsion, but given Stubbs uneven performance in 2009 (poor in AAA and good in the big leagues) it seemed appropriate to let spring be the deciding factor. I guess since some of us raised the question we were considered bashers. Oh well, I remember when knocking the door down in AAA was mandatory.
    I agree with the overall assessment.....although I think they could 'carry' Stubbs weak bat due to having plus bats at nearly every other position.
    Baseball is like church. Many attend, few understand

  5. #289
    The Big Dog mth123's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    14,722

    Re: Drew Stubbs

    Quote Originally Posted by VR View Post
    I agree with the overall assessment.....although I think they could 'carry' Stubbs weak bat due to having plus bats at nearly every other position.
    At this point I agree, but coming into the season, no one expected the performances we're seeing from Rolen, Phillips, Hernandez or even Gomes. If those guys were performing more like the last couple years, the Reds wouldn't be able to carry any weak bats.
    "All I can tell them is pick a good one and sock it." --BABE RUTH

    Having better players makes "the right time" or "the big hit" happen a lot more often. PLUS PLUS

  6. #290
    I'm gettin paper Homer Bailey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Chicago, IL
    Posts
    4,689

    Re: Drew Stubbs

    Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post
    Good day for wind though,

    “You could tell in BP it was going to be a good day for hitters,” Stubbs said. “The wind blowing out the way it was, all you’re looking to do is get pitches up and try to be on the ball. Not only myself, but a number of other guys were able to do that today.”
    It was the strongest I've ever seen it blow out in Wrigley.

    However, I think only Janish's and Colvin's 2nd were wind aided.

  7. #291
    Worst Behavior. reds44's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    North Carolina
    Posts
    25,312

    Re: Drew Stubbs

    Quote Originally Posted by Homer Bailey View Post
    It was the strongest I've ever seen it blow out in Wrigley.

    However, I think only Janish's and Colvin's 2nd were wind aided.
    I think Stubbs oppo one might have been wind aided too, but really who cares.
    Quote Originally Posted by PuffyPig View Post
    Let's face it, you mis-hit the bun with the mustard squirter, no one will really care.

  8. #292
    The Boss dougdirt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    35,091

    Re: Drew Stubbs

    Quote Originally Posted by reds44 View Post
    I think Stubbs oppo one might have been wind aided too, but really who cares.
    It wasn't. Take away the wind and heat and it still goes 407 feet.

  9. #293
    I'm gettin paper Homer Bailey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Chicago, IL
    Posts
    4,689

    Re: Drew Stubbs

    Quote Originally Posted by reds44 View Post
    I think Stubbs oppo one might have been wind aided too, but really who cares.
    It could have been. And this may sound like rubbish because I defend Stubbs at every chance I get, but I specifically commented to my buddy right after that home run, that the flags were actually blowing to right on that homer.

    That could have also helped it blow into a shorter part of the park, but I specifically remember the wind not blowing directly out on that ball.

  10. #294
    Worst Behavior. reds44's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    North Carolina
    Posts
    25,312

    Re: Drew Stubbs

    Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    It wasn't. Take away the wind and heat and it still goes 407 feet.
    Sarcasm? So the wind had zero effect on it? No way.
    Quote Originally Posted by PuffyPig View Post
    Let's face it, you mis-hit the bun with the mustard squirter, no one will really care.

  11. #295
    Senor Votto Degenerate39's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    7,914

    Re: Drew Stubbs

    Does it honestly matter? He hit 3 home runs. That's a pretty big accomplishment for any player let alone a player who is essentually a rookie. Quit trying to take it away from him.
    Most Vottomatic Player

  12. #296
    The Boss dougdirt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    35,091

    Re: Drew Stubbs

    Quote Originally Posted by reds44 View Post
    Sarcasm? So the wind had zero effect on it? No way.
    Not sarcasm. Hittrackeronline.com does all the science/math to adjust the HR's for how far they actually would all go given the exact same conditions. Stubbs hit 3 HR's yesterday, all of which would have been HR's without any weather conditions standing in the way.

  13. #297
    Worst Behavior. reds44's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    North Carolina
    Posts
    25,312

    Re: Drew Stubbs

    Quote Originally Posted by Degenerate39 View Post
    Does it honestly matter? He hit 3 home runs. That's a pretty big accomplishment for any player let alone a player who is essentually a rookie. Quit trying to take it away from him.
    Quote Originally Posted by reds44 View Post
    I think Stubbs oppo one might have been wind aided too, but really who cares.
    Clearly I am trying to take it away from him.
    Quote Originally Posted by PuffyPig View Post
    Let's face it, you mis-hit the bun with the mustard squirter, no one will really care.

  14. #298
    Member cincrazy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    South Vienna, OH
    Posts
    4,346

    Re: Drew Stubbs

    Quote Originally Posted by jojo View Post
    I think he was mostly just trying to cast a positive vibe.
    Blessed are the peacemakers and may their favorite teams rejoice in victory.
    Exactly.

    Never thought it was possible to read so much into one little post. Goodness gracious.

  15. #299
    Senor Votto Degenerate39's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    7,914

    Re: Drew Stubbs

    Quote Originally Posted by reds44 View Post
    Clearly I am trying to take it away from him.
    Clearly I wasn't referring to you
    Most Vottomatic Player

  16. #300
    Oy Vey! Red in Chicago's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2000
    Location
    Chicago Suburbs
    Posts
    3,426

    Re: Drew Stubbs

    Enough of the back and forth garbage already. Play nice, or don't play at all.


Turn Off Ads?

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Board Moderators may, at their discretion and judgment, delete and/or edit any messages that violate any of the following guidelines: 1. Explicit references to alleged illegal or unlawful acts. 2. Graphic sexual descriptions. 3. Racial or ethnic slurs. 4. Use of edgy language (including masked profanity). 5. Direct personal attacks, flames, fights, trolling, baiting, name-calling, general nuisance, excessive player criticism or anything along those lines. 6. Posting spam. 7. Each person may have only one user account. It is fine to be critical here - that's what this board is for. But let's not beat a subject or a player to death, please.

Thank you, and most importantly, enjoy yourselves!


RedsZone.com is a privately owned website and is not affiliated with the Cincinnati Reds or Major League Baseball


Contact us: Boss | GIK | BCubb2003 | dabvu2498 | Gallen5862 | LexRedsFan | Plus Plus | RedlegJake | redsfan1995 | The Operator | Tommyjohn25