Turn Off Ads?
Page 20 of 48 FirstFirst ... 1016171819202122232430 ... LastLast

Thread: Drew Stubbs

Re: Drew Stubbs

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    According to hittrackeronline.com Stubbs HR's true distances yesterday were 417 on each of the pulled HR's and 407 on the one to right center. So no, none of the HR's were wind aided in order to leave the park.
    I think Janish's was the only 'wind-aided'....although that was at least a double to the gap at any park.
    Baseball is like church. Many attend, few understand

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by traderumor View Post
    It seems to me its all about expectations. Stubbs being a 1st round pick, for many, means that he must be an immediate star or he's a bust. Reds fans should have learned the hard way that the recent run of 1st round picks making it to the majors (Bruce, Bailey, and Stubbs) and sticking in the majors and being a part of team that is turning the corner is a credit to the draft and develop arm of the organization. The list of Gruler, Howington, Sowards, et al is finally becoming a distant memory. When you can develop your core with at least average youngsters, then you can go get parts to put you over the top.

Unfortunately, too many see Stubbs hitting .240 and striking out a lot as a "bust" for a 1st rounder, which to me is unreasonable expectations.
    For me that's not it at all. Scouting or no, I like to see a guy earn it by knocking down the door in the minors. .715 OPS at AAA over nearly a full season isn't knocking the door down. If the scouts are right as Lollipop suggested, it will happen. The part that I disagree with is making him the starter in the majors and letting him struggle until it does. Let him find it in AAA and then start him in the big leagues unless there are no viable alternatives. The Reds had Dickerson who was more of a known quantity and there was no need to install Stubbs until he answered those questions.

In his case, he had a pretty solid spring and won the job. Usually I don't think Spring is the proper spot to make that decsion, but given Stubbs uneven performance in 2009 (poor in AAA and good in the big leagues) it seemed appropriate to let spring be the deciding factor. I guess since some of us raised the question we were considered bashers. Oh well, I remember when knocking the door down in AAA was mandatory.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

Quote Originally Posted by mth123 View Post
    For me that's not it at all. Scouting or no, I like to see a guy earn it by knocking down the door in the minors. .715 OPS at AAA over nearly a full season isn't knocking the door down. If the scouts are right as Lollipop suggested, it will happen. The part that I disagree with is making him the starter in the majors and letting him struggle until it does. Let him find it in AAA and then start him in the big leagues unless there are no viable alternatives. The Reds had Dickerson who was more of a known quantity and there was no need to install Stubbs until he answered those questions.

In his case, he had a pretty solid spring and won the job. Usually I don't think Spring is the proper spot to make that decsion, but given Stubbs uneven performance in 2009 (poor in AAA and good in the big leagues) it seemed appropriate to let spring be the deciding factor. I guess since some of us raised the question we were considered bashers. Oh well, I remember when knocking the door down in AAA was mandatory.
    I agree with the overall assessment.....although I think they could 'carry' Stubbs weak bat due to having plus bats at nearly every other position.
    Baseball is like church. Many attend, few understand

Quote Originally Posted by VR View Post
    I agree with the overall assessment.....although I think they could 'carry' Stubbs weak bat due to having plus bats at nearly every other position.
    At this point I agree, but coming into the season, no one expected the performances we're seeing from Rolen, Phillips, Hernandez or even Gomes. If those guys were performing more like the last couple years, the Reds wouldn't be able to carry any weak bats.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

Quote Originally Posted by westofyou View Post
    Good day for wind though,

“You could tell in BP it was going to be a good day for hitters,” Stubbs said. “The wind blowing out the way it was, all you’re looking to do is get pitches up and try to be on the ball. Not only myself, but a number of other guys were able to do that today.”
    It was the strongest I've ever seen it blow out in Wrigley.

However, I think only Janish's and Colvin's 2nd were wind aided.

Quote Originally Posted by Homer Bailey View Post
    It was the strongest I've ever seen it blow out in Wrigley.

However, I think only Janish's and Colvin's 2nd were wind aided.
    I think Stubbs oppo one might have been wind aided too, but really who cares.
    Quote Originally Posted by Scooter View Post
    A little bit off topic, but do you guys think that Jesse Winker profiles more like Pete Rose or is he just the next Hal Morris??

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by reds44 View Post
    It wasn't. Take away the wind and heat and it still goes 407 feet.

It could have been. And this may sound like rubbish because I defend Stubbs at every chance I get, but I specifically commented to my buddy right after that home run, that the flags were actually blowing to right on that homer.

That could have also helped it blow into a shorter part of the park, but I specifically remember the wind not blowing directly out on that ball.

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    It wasn't. Take away the wind and heat and it still goes 407 feet.
    Sarcasm? So the wind had zero effect on it? No way.
    A little bit off topic, but do you guys think that Jesse Winker profiles more like Pete Rose or is he just the next Hal Morris??

Senor Votto

Does it honestly matter? He hit 3 home runs. That's a pretty big accomplishment for any player let alone a player who is essentually a rookie. Quit trying to take it away from him.

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Sarcasm? So the wind had zero effect on it? No way.
    Not sarcasm. Hittrackeronline.com does all the science/math to adjust the HR's for how far they actually would all go given the exact same conditions. Stubbs hit 3 HR's yesterday, all of which would have been HR's without any weather conditions standing in the way.

Quote Originally Posted by Degenerate39 View Post
    Does it honestly matter? He hit 3 home runs. That's a pretty big accomplishment for any player let alone a player who is essentually a rookie. Quit trying to take it away from him.
    Clearly I am trying to take it away from him.

Quote Originally Posted by jojo View Post
    I think he was mostly just trying to cast a positive vibe.
    Blessed are the peacemakers and may their favorite teams rejoice in victory.
    Exactly.

Never thought it was possible to read so much into one little post. Goodness gracious.

Senor Votto

Clearly I am trying to take it away from him.
    Clearly I wasn't referring to you

Enough of the back and forth garbage already. Play nice, or don't play at all.

Turn Off Ads?