Turn Off Ads?
Page 25 of 48 FirstFirst ... 1521222324252627282935 ... LastLast

Thread: Drew Stubbs

Re: Drew Stubbs

I'm more worried about Gomes right now than I am Stubbs. I'd love to know how many first pitch swings Gomes has made since the ASB. Most of which have turned into 1-pitch outs. I'm betting it's a LOT.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Can we put the uncle back in the title?

1 for his last 36 with 18 Ks.

Quote Originally Posted by reds44 View Post
    Can we put the uncle back in the title?

1 for his last 36 with 18 Ks.
    Until this cold streak, I actually think that Stubbs has done ok this year. I wasn't expecting much and thought handing him CF was a questionable decision. The fact that he had a good spring made it OK and though he's been streaky, he was OK until lately. I don't think I'd consider him a failure, but would send him to AAA for a couple weeks to see if he gets going. In the meantime, bring Dickerson back and let he and Heisey platoon in CF. Stubbs would be back up by mid-August, but its time for a change to get things going IMO.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

Stubbs and Bruce have similar statistics. Acutally, Stubbs has outperformed Bruce in several categories:

Bruce has batted 31 more times.
    Bruce has a higher batting average by .32.
    Bruce's OBP is .329 while Stubbs is .297.
    Stubbs has 13 HR while Bruce has 10.
    Stubbs has 49 RBI while batting lower in the lineup and Bruce has 41.
    Stubbs has scored 54 runs and Bruce 53.
    Stubbs has stolen 18 bases and Bruce 5.
    They both strike out a bunch--Stubbs has 111 and Bruce has 98.
    Both are streaky hitters with long periods of hitting well and long periods of oh-fers

Quite frankly, I see similarities in the performance of both players. Many want to use the age card with Bruce being only 23, but Stubbs is only 25 and hasn't played in the majors as long. If you send Stubbs back to AAA, you have to consider sending Bruce back too.

One final thought...between them they have scored 107 runs and driven in 90. Who is going to fill their shoes? Dickerson? Don't make me laugh.

Quote Originally Posted by WVRedsFan View Post
    One final thought...between them they have scored 107 runs and driven in 90. Who is going to fill their shoes? Dickerson? Don't make me laugh.
    If you really want to laugh, go compare the career stats of Dickerson vs. Stubbs.

Party like it's 1990 Blitz Dorsey's Avatar

Bruce put up much-better minor league numbers than Stubbs, he's 2.5 years younger, let's not lump them together.

Quote Originally Posted by Blitz Dorsey View Post
    Bruce put up much-better minor league numbers than Stubbs, he's 2.5 years younger, let's not lump them together.
    Agreed.

Bat Dickerson leadoff vs. RHP. Period.

Bruce also has five more games and 31 more at bats. Saying that Bruce's numbers are comparable to Stubbs is far from a feather in Jay's cap. Bruce's offensive ceiling is much higher. If the numbers for Bruce and Stubbs are at all comparable - Jay is way behind.

Platoons ALWAYS look good on paper.

On the field, they never work.
    Domo Arigato, Here Comes Joey Votto

---TRF

"I do what I want to do and say what I want to say."

--Bronson Arroyo

Quote Originally Posted by Blitz Dorsey View Post
    Minor leage...I don't believe that counts.

Listen guys, I'm just saying that Stubbs has been more productive in a way than Bruce and no one is screaming about Bruce. Well almost no one. As for Dickerson...well we all worry about Rolen. Looks like Dickerson is a bigger risk.

Oh yeah, it's the money. I forgot about that...

Party like it's 1990 Blitz Dorsey's Avatar

Minor leage...I don't believe that counts.

Listen guys, I'm just saying that Stubbs has been more productive in a way than Bruce and no one is screaming about Bruce. Well almost no one. As for Dickerson...well we all worry about Rolen. Looks like Dickerson is a bigger risk.

Oh yeah, it's the money. I forgot about that...
    I'm pretty sure that counts when we're talking about how good a 23-year-old player is. Bruce's minor league #'s indicate he has a chance of having MLB success. Can't say the same about Stubbs' minor league #'s.

But Blitz, I'm not dissing Jay. Not at all, I'm just saying that the constant melodrama agaisnt Stubbs seems to be ignoring the unproductiveness of Bruce. Neither has done well and may not ever. I have no idea. The lovefest that many have had here for other players--you can name them...Denorfia and now Janish, Hanigan (good day today, btw), and Dickerson defies description. Yes, the Reds have better options, but this team seems to be in sync. Dickerson has his own problems, most of which is injuries. He's shown nothing to me to believe that he can drive in 49-50 runs in a whole season. His defense is suspect--we've seen him try to play right field with disastrous results. Yep, I like him, but he shows nothing to me that would indicate that he could make a difference. Like Stubbs and Bruce he strikes out a lot and I simply think we have better options. There is a reason that the Reds brass is keeping him in the minors. I don't know the reason, but there is one. I like the fact that Stubbs may get hot and maybe even Bruce. So far we are double digits over .500 so far. That sure as heck is much better than the last 10 years, I'm willing to see what happens with what we have and that includes letting a career poor batter like Janish stay on the bech and a learning Bruce take right field every day. I'd like to see Heisey platoon with Bruce, but it's not to be. And Gomes will always start in left. If we win, I don't care.

Stubbs and Bruce have similar statistics. Acutally, Stubbs has outperformed Bruce in several categories:

Bruce has batted 31 more times.
    Bruce has a higher batting average by .32.
    Bruce's OBP is .329 while Stubbs is .297.
    Stubbs has 13 HR while Bruce has 10.
    Stubbs has 49 RBI while batting lower in the lineup and Bruce has 41.
    Stubbs has scored 54 runs and Bruce 53.
    Stubbs has stolen 18 bases and Bruce 5.
    They both strike out a bunch--Stubbs has 111 and Bruce has 98.
    Both are streaky hitters with long periods of hitting well and long periods of oh-fers

Quite frankly, I see similarities in the performance of both players. Many want to use the age card with Bruce being only 23, but Stubbs is only 25 and hasn't played in the majors as long. If you send Stubbs back to AAA, you have to consider sending Bruce back too.

Bruce has been 1.5 WAR, Stubbs 1 WAR. It's not significant, but Jay has had the better year than Stubbs. And he's a lot younger.

I'm not really down that much on Stubbs. I think he's still learning (as is Bruce) and that he'll come around. I don't think Stubbs is ever going to be a stud, but when he adds some more OBP and cuts down on the Ks, he'll be quite valuable to the Reds.

Quote Originally Posted by 11larkin11 View Post
    Platoons ALWAYS look good on paper.

On the field, they never work.
    Tell that to Earl Weaver.

Geez, as recently as 2006, the Reds had a pretty productive 1B platoon in Scott Hatteberg and Rich Aurilia. And in '07, they had a somewhat less productive but still effective platoon in Hatteberg and Jeff Conine.
    Eric Stratton, Rush Chairman. Damn glad to meet ya.

Turn Off Ads?