Turn Off Ads?
Page 26 of 48 FirstFirst ... 1622232425262728293036 ... LastLast

Thread: Drew Stubbs

Re: Drew Stubbs

Quote Originally Posted by Big Klu View Post
    Tell that to Earl Weaver.

Geez, as recently as 2006, the Reds had a pretty productive 1B platoon in Scott Hatteberg and Rich Aurilia. And in '07, they had a somewhat less productive but still effective platoon in Hatteberg and Jeff Conine.
    Hal McRae and Bernie Carbo in 1970?

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Madden View Post
    Hal McRae and Bernie Carbo in 1970?
    Good one.

How about Hal Morris and Todd Benzinger at 1B in 1990? Or Jeff Branson and Mark Lewis at 3B in 1995?
    Eric Stratton, Rush Chairman. Damn glad to meet ya.

Quote Originally Posted by WVRedsFan View Post
    Stubbs and Bruce have similar statistics. Acutally, Stubbs has outperformed Bruce in several categories:

Bruce has batted 31 more times.
    Bruce has a higher batting average by .32.
    Bruce's OBP is .329 while Stubbs is .297.
    Stubbs has 13 HR while Bruce has 10.
    Stubbs has 49 RBI while batting lower in the lineup and Bruce has 41.
    Stubbs has scored 54 runs and Bruce 53.
    Stubbs has stolen 18 bases and Bruce 5.
    They both strike out a bunch--Stubbs has 111 and Bruce has 98.
    Both are streaky hitters with long periods of hitting well and long periods of oh-fers

Quite frankly, I see similarities in the performance of both players. Many want to use the age card with Bruce being only 23, but Stubbs is only 25 and hasn't played in the majors as long. If you send Stubbs back to AAA, you have to consider sending Bruce back too.

One final thought...between them they have scored 107 runs and driven in 90. Who is going to fill their shoes? Dickerson? Don't make me laugh.
    Your numbers provide substantial evidence that both positions are lacking in typical production and improvement is needed. Stubbs is the one in the 1 for 36 slump and needs to get on a roll right now. I agree that Bruce could use it too, but Bruce is at least getting a hit once in a while and its only for a couple weeks.

I could get on board with finding a roster spot and going with 6 OF and a platoon at all three positions. Nix/Gomes in LF (Nix has had limited play but has been the most productive of the OF group when he's in there), Dickerson/Stubbs (Probably not a straight platoon, I'd want Stubbs in there more than the typical RH half of a platoon) and Bruce/Heisey. Somebody snaps out of it and gets hot then they go back to playing every day. The OF production has got to improve and platooning just might do it.

This is another reason that a trade was needed. This roster needed to be reconfigured a bit. 6 OF is hard to manage when none can help in the IF if necessary. Adding a Kelly Johnson as one of the LH guys and utilizing his ability to play 2B (and maybe 3B) to provide some flexibility would have worked. I can't imagine that the Reds couldn't have had him for something that they have no room for (Lecure/Del Rosario or something along those lines.) There is simply no reason for the D-Backs to hold on to him.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

Quote Originally Posted by Big Klu View Post
    Tell that to Earl Weaver.

Geez, as recently as 2006, the Reds had a pretty productive 1B platoon in Scott Hatteberg and Rich Aurilia. And in '07, they had a somewhat less productive but still effective platoon in Hatteberg and Jeff Conine.
    It hasn't even been that long. Last year's Gomes and Nix platoon was pretty effective.

I would give Stubbs several days off and use Heisey in CF for those days.

Stubbs was playing ok until recently. I think with some rest and work on the sidelines he will be ok.

I wouldn't do anything dramatic until trying this possible solution.

Will post for food BuckeyeRedleg's Avatar

I know Stubbs has been compared a few times to Mike Cameron, but I'm curious if there has ever been a Dale Murphy comparison on him. Of course, as far as his ceiling goes.

I was thinking of Dale Murphy after he hit the shot at Wrigley today.

I know Stubbs has more speed (as far as SB's), but his power and K numbers are similar at this point. And I do realize that Murphy got started a lot sooner (over 2000 PA's before he turned 26).

Just wondering what people think.

Quote Originally Posted by BuckeyeRedleg View Post
    I know Stubbs has been compared a few times to Mike Cameron, but I'm curious if there has ever been a Dale Murphy comparison on him. Of course, as far as his ceiling goes.

I know Stubbs has more speed (as far as SB's), but his power and K numbers are similar at this point. And I do realize that Murphy got started a lot sooner (over 2000 PA's before he turned 26).

Interesting comparison. I was actually thinking that another comp would be Arizona's Chris Young. Another great defensive OF with power/speed and questionable contact skills IIRC.
    “Every level he goes to, he is going to compete. They will know who he is at every level he goes to.” -- ED on EDLC

Dude was the MVP today, as my buddy who's a Cubs fan said.

Stubbs is super streaky, but he does seem to have big games now and then. And I love that seemingly they always come against the Cubs!!

Quote Originally Posted by BuckeyeRedleg View Post

I hadn't thought of the comparison but it makes sense really. Stubbs is a long way from being a polished player in this league but a year or two out this may be a very feasible comparison.

I found this interesting on ESPN today

He's still young enough to figure things out, but he's not a great defender and his speedy wheels won't matter much if he can't get to first base.
    http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/s...ays_100809reds
    from Rob Neyer
    Last edited by TRF; 08-09-2010 at 03:20 PM.
    Dubito Ergo Cogito Ergo Sum.

Quote Originally Posted by TRF View Post
    I found this interesting on ESPN today

from Rob Neyer
    Neyer must be watching a different Stubbs. I think Stubbs has the best range of any center fielder in the game outside of maybe Franklin Gutierrez. Stubbs has had a few problems around the wall but a lot of guys don't even get to those balls.

I saw that too. At first I wondered if it was a typo, and I'm still not convinced it wasn't.

Quote Originally Posted by OnBaseMachine View Post
    Neyer must be watching a different Stubbs. I think Stubbs has the best range of any center fielder in the game outside of maybe Franklin Gutierrez. Stubbs has had a few problems around the wall but a lot of guys don't even get to those balls.
    Stubbs has great range but the wall is an issue, IMO its what makes Heisey a better defensive OF. Heisey has no fear of the wall and has made numerous catches that Stubbs shies away from. Stubbs starts pulling up a good 3-4 steps before he gets to the wall.

Quote Originally Posted by OnBaseMachine View Post
    I doubt he is watching a lot of him. UZR isn't a huge fan of Stubbs.

Quote Originally Posted by flyer85 View Post
    Stubbs has great range but the wall is an issue, IMO its what makes Heisey a better defensive OF. Heisey has no fear of the wall and has made numerous catches that Stubbs shies away from. Stubbs starts pulling up a good 3-4 steps before he gets to the wall.
    I'm not seeing what you're seeing. I've seen Heisey make that one catch against the Braves, but I don't remember seeing any other plays near the wall that Stubbs wouldn't make. I can remember 2 plays where Stubbs failed to catch balls at the wall, but I can also remember plays that Stubbs made while crashing into the wall.

I just don't think the whole "afraid of the wall" thing flies for Stubbs as much as some people want to label him as that.

Turn Off Ads?