Page 27 of 48 FirstFirst ... 1723242526272829303137 ... LastLast

Thread: Drew Stubbs

Re: Drew Stubbs

Stubbs is horrible near the wall.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by reds44 View Post
    Stubbs is horrible near the wall.
    without a doubt. I can't remember anyone (and I mean anyone) that shies away from the wall as early as he does.

High five!

Stubbs has had all of, what...three plays near the wall.

I don't think that's indicative of "horrible."

Stop providing evidence to the contrary. Don't you know, if a guy makes a poor play or 2, he's obviously afraid of the wall?

UZR 150 is -1.1

Quote Originally Posted by flyer85 View Post
    UZR 150 is -1.1
    Yet any scouting report ever made says that Stubbs is a plus plus center fielder.

High five!

Quote Originally Posted by flyer85 View Post
    UZR 150 is -1.1
    In 19 more games, Stubbs will have approximately 1/3rds of an acceptable UZR sample.

I think Stubbs is an adequate defender. He doesn't hurt us. But I've never seen anything to indicate he's a "great" defender as many feel. I don't think his defense makes up for the fact that he's been horrible at the plate for long stretches this season. Give me Chris Heisey long-term over Drew Stubbs. Stubbs has been nothing more than he was in the minors. Speed, some power, horrible average, and even worse on-base skills compared to his minor league numbers.

Can we please stop confusing performance for ability. Drew Stubbs may have played a mediocre CF thus far in 2010 and still be a "plus defender" from that "what should we expect from him in the future?" perspective.
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

Quote Originally Posted by cincrazy View Post
    I think Stubbs is an adequate defender. He doesn't hurt us. But I've never seen anything to indicate he's a "great" defender as many feel. I don't think his defense makes up for the fact that he's been horrible at the plate for long stretches this season. Give me Chris Heisey long-term over Drew Stubbs. Stubbs has been nothing more than he was in the minors. Speed, some power, horrible average, and even worse on-base skills compared to his minor league numbers.
    , I guess that's one way to put it.
    "I know a lot about the law and various other lawyerings."

Hitters who avoid outs are the funnest.

Stubbs since getting a few days off in the beginning of this month:

.313/.357/.531/.888

Sprinkle in the 6 bases he's swiped, and it's pretty clear that the few days off did this man some good. Such a talented baseball player, and if he ever figures out a way to cut his K% by 6-8%, we could easily have an all-star on our hands. Still love watching him play everyday, and pick it in centerfield.

OPS is up to .719 for the year. Still not great obviously, but around where we probably expected it, no?

Quote Originally Posted by Homer Bailey View Post
    Stubbs since getting a few days off in the beginning of this month:

.313/.357/.531/.888

Sprinkle in the 6 bases he's swiped, and it's pretty clear that the few days off did this man some good. Such a talented baseball player, and if he ever figures out a way to cut his K% by 6-8%, we could easily have an all-star on our hands. Still love watching him play everyday, and pick it in centerfield.

OPS is up to .719 for the year. Still not great obviously, but around where we probably expected it, no?
    The bigger question is where does he hit in the lineup? At this clip, Dusty might just leave him at the top, perhaps even when BP returns.

His defense in centerfield is huge. I love watching both he and Jay Bruce play the outfield. They have been such a plus, defensively for this team. As a former pitcher, I know how much it matters to have the confidence in knowing that your centerfielder is going to run most everything down.

Calgary, Alberta, aka, the most prosperous city in the world.

Quote Originally Posted by cincrazy View Post
    Great defenders somethimes make it look so easy you forget how good they are.

And make no mistake, Stubbs plays a superb CF.

Turn Off Ads?