Turn Off Ads?
Page 36 of 48 FirstFirst ... 2632333435363738394046 ... LastLast

Thread: Drew Stubbs

Re: Drew Stubbs

Quote Originally Posted by Mario-Rijo View Post
    Hilarious movie!
    And this is where the circle gets completed for me on the earlier Hamilton/vicadon conversation. I had my wisdom teeth pulled the day I rented that movie and watched while on whatever painkillers they gave me. From that day forward, I never found Jim Carey to be all that funny and I know its b/c of the meds I was on that day.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    Vada Pinson did it age 20. Bobby Tolan did it in his first full season, but he has mutliple partial seasons before then. Eric Davis did it in his first full season, but had two partial seasons before that.
    Bobby Tolan had two seasons with St. Louis (1967 and 1968) in which he had nearly 300 PA's and played in over half of the Cardinals' games before he went 20/20 with the Reds. I would not consider 1969 as his first full season.
    Eric Stratton, Rush Chairman. Damn glad to meet ya.

Believe it or not, Dunn was 1 SB from doing this in his first full season.
    Dubito Ergo Cogito Ergo Sum.

Quote Originally Posted by Big Klu View Post
    Bobby Tolan had two seasons with St. Louis (1967 and 1968) in which he had nearly 300 PA's and played in over half of the Cardinals' games before he went 20/20 with the Reds. I would not consider 1969 as his first full season.
    Not by a long shot

Quote Originally Posted by reds44 View Post
    .240/.275/.285/.559
    .205/.238/.344/.582

Willy Tavers and Corey Patterson, the whipping boys of redszone (and rightfully so) the last two season. Dusty and Jocketty would brutally ripped for having them on the team, and batting them leadoff.

I understand here at redzone we all love our prospects, but the fact that it's nearly silent how bad Drew Stubbs has been is surprising.

.176/.287/.257/.544

Drew Stubbs has actually managed to be worse than both of them, offensively. It really should come as a surprise to nobody that he's been bad, because he wasn't any good in the minors.

Stubbs needs to be sent to AAA, and try to figure something out to cutdown on his strikeouts with his swing. He doesn't hit for any power, so there's no reason for him to strikeout as much as he does.

I have no idea if Heisey is better, and he may not be, but something has to be changed at this point.
    Hahahahahaha.
    Quote Originally Posted by Scooter View Post
    A little bit off topic, but do you guys think that Jesse Winker profiles more like Pete Rose or is he just the next Hal Morris??

Quote Originally Posted by reds44 View Post
    Hahahahahaha.
    It takes a big man to quote himself on a post like that. Kudos, sir!
    Quote Originally Posted by BCubb2003 View Post
    Don't worry. I'd say the game threads are about league average.
    Phil Castellini puts the FUN in Trust Fund.

Anyone going to still say he sucks near the wall?

Drew Stubbs' kinda stunning stat line with 5 games to go:

.251/.324/.434 for a .758 OPS. 21 HR. 26 SB (only 6 CS).

And some defense. I think in some thread or another I was hoping for a .725 OPS from Stubbs this season. He has been a delight and rapidly becoming one of my favorite players. The thing with him is that I continue to totally not know what to expect from him going forward, and the unpredictability is kinda fun...to me, anyway.
    Last edited by membengal; 09-29-2010 at 07:06 AM.

I've said it before and I will say it again, but I think the fact that he has played pretty much all season, even during slumps, may be the best thing that ever happened to him. There were times when the Reds may have been justified to send him to AAA or at least to bench him for a while (I know they did briefly when Heisly was hot for a week or so), but they have kept running him out there a vast majority of the time, letting him develop and learn.

He still has plenty of room to improve, of course, but his overall performance in his first full season has, despite its ups and downs, been not bad at all.

Sometimes, you just have to let a guy learn and develop by playing him and putting up with the growing pains. I hope time will prove that's what happened in 2010 for Drew Stubbs and that he can be even better in the future.

Anyone going to still say he sucks near the wall?
    He's getting better.

Just wanted to say kudos to management on the handling of both Stubbs and Bruce this season. The fact that they stuck by them and had them work through their issues during a pennant chase should likely be very beneficial in the long run. Especially when you see them playing like they have been down the stretch.

It has worked out well for both the team and both Jay and Drew on a personal level. These guys have grown as players and gotten a ton of invaluable experience. Awesome stuff, hopefully they build off of this and help turn this team into a perennial contender.

I don't know about you guys, but I am extremely excited to have Jay Bruce in RF and Drew Stubbs in CF for the next decade.

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by OnBaseMachine View Post
    I don't know about you guys, but I am extremely excited to have Jay Bruce in RF and Drew Stubbs in CF for the next decade.
    I am pretty excited about having both playing for me in October.

Drew Stubbs in just over a first season's worth of at-bats (690 since last year)...

.255-29-90-37
    .324/.435/.759

Throw in some excellent defense and whoa mama I'll take it!

That's projecting to be a 30/30 GG centerfielder with .800 OPS potential. Yes please!
    "No matter how good you are, you're going to lose one-third of your games. No matter how bad you are you're going to win one-third of your games. It's the other third that makes the difference." ~Tommy Lasorda

Resident PED Expert

Quote Originally Posted by OnBaseMachine View Post
    I agree whole heartedly.

It would be a plus if somehow, someway Alonso can make the transition into LF in the offseason. I have joined Hokie in believing this kid needs to be kept. He just has a think about him that says success...His offensive upside could easily outweigh his defensive shortcomings out there. There would be 100 HR potential in the OF between those 3 and at least 4 more years of control. I almost get giddy thinking about it.

Turn Off Ads?