Turn Off Ads?
Page 43 of 48 FirstFirst ... 33394041424344454647 ... LastLast

Thread: Drew Stubbs

Re: Drew Stubbs

Quote Originally Posted by RedlegJake View Post
    DeJesus played center for the Royals when he began and he is/was a fine fielder. But he has gotten older and I doubt he could do better than fill in as an emergency CFer now.
    He's been playing CF for the Cubs since Rizzo was called up.

Meanwhile, Valdez is batting 2nd and playing CF tonight. In San Diego. A giant ballpark.
    Quote Originally Posted by Scooter View Post
    A little bit off topic, but do you guys think that Jesse Winker profiles more like Pete Rose or is he just the next Hal Morris??

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by reds44 View Post

Meanwhile, Valdez is batting 2nd and playing CF tonight. In San Diego. A giant ballpark.
    I have always loved DeJesus - from his time with the Royals. Love to have him. He is a pro hitter - you won't see those horrible give away at bats from him. Another fine player the Royals couldn't/wouldn't keep. Heisey and Stubbs to the Cubs for Soriano and DeJesus with the Cubs paying Soriano's salary. ( I am so sick of seeing those at bats

Heisey is better than Stubbs at this point, but the answer to that question isn't in the organization.
    Other than bunting, how so?

Quote Originally Posted by camisadelgolf View Post
    Other than bunting, how so?
    You've seen Drew bat lately, no?
    A little bit off topic, but do you guys think that Jesse Winker profiles more like Pete Rose or is he just the next Hal Morris??

Eddie Gaedel has a better line than Drew Stubbs...but he might a bit of range for CF

Craig Counsell of the Brewers is currently 0-45 second all time to 1909's Bill Bergen (of the Reds) maybe the worst hitter in MLB history who went 0-46, the longest streak in history. So Drew has a way to go. Counsell isn't even a terrible hitter careerwise, plainly average. He isn't playing fulltime, though. Milwaukee is somewhat smarter in that regard it seems. When a guy hits the 0-20s he begins to sit up there in Beer City.

What if Counsell breaks the record only to be subourned by Stubbs? I don't know if I ought to cheer for him to go for it or not??? I love to witness history after all.

Heck, I would if it wasn't for the pennant race. My selfishness aside I want him to get hot. So much for the record and my own desires. I am selflessly relegating my desire to see history made to the scrap heap of ambition as I lust for a title more than a brief glimpse into the glaring spotlight of history shining on Drew Stubbs and the shadows of the immortal Bill Bergen and barely glimpsed Craig Counsell.

Stubbs desperately needs to platoon. He's useful vs. LHPs. And his glove and speed are nice to have on the bench. He might even do better against RHPs if his exposure to them was limited - it would help keep him out of prolonged funks and the manager could pick his matchups.
    I'm not a system player. I am a system.

Citifield has a huge outfield as well, and Valdez handled CF well there. With Heisey playing left tonight, I don't foresee a problem, although Latos is a fly ball pitcher so there could be much activity.

Stubbs is in danger of becoming the Reds version of Corey Patterson before the Reds signed Patterson after he had become Patterson.
    "This isn’t stats vs scouts - this is stats and scouts working together, building an organization that blends the best of both worlds. This is the blueprint for how a baseball organization should be run. And, whether the baseball men of the 20th century like it or not, this is where baseball is going."---Dave Cameron, U.S.S. Mariner

Quote Originally Posted by jojo View Post
    Stubbs is in danger of becoming the Reds version of Corey Patterson before the Reds signed Patterson after he had become Patterson.
    LOL. This is awesome.

Quote Originally Posted by M2 View Post
    Stubbs desperately needs to platoon. He's useful vs. LHPs. And his glove and speed are nice to have on the bench. He might even do better against RHPs if his exposure to them was limited - it would help keep him out of prolonged funks and the manager could pick his matchups.
    This. Absolutely agree. If we could successfully utilize Stubbs, he'd be much better. He's a useful ballplayer.

The Reds have historically given way too much rope to 1st round draft picks, because of their perceived pedigree. I would expect that to continue here. He might get a day off soon, but expect him to regularly be starting in CF until at least the send of the season. And if he is still in a similar spot by season's end, then the Reds may have 2nd thoughts.

We'd be begging for more Stubbs, if Earl Weaver managed.

Quote Originally Posted by Rojo View Post
    We'd be begging for more Stubbs, if Earl Weaver managed.
    Dusty clearly doesn't have Weaver's knack for giving guys their best 375 ab's that's for sure. Then again, the roster isn't really built to work that way either. The reds sure could use a LHH speedy OBP guy who could play LF and CF
    School's out. What did you expect?

Stat geek...and proud
    Quote Originally Posted by pedro View Post
    Dusty clearly doesn't have Weaver's knack for giving guys their best 375 ab's that's for sure. Then again, the roster isn't really built to work that way either. The reds sure could use a LHH speedy OBP guy who could play LF and CF
    Earl Weaver didn't have to carry 12 pitchers either, which is a huge reason why platooning is not as widespread as it once was.

Turn Off Ads?