Turn Off Ads?
Page 45 of 48 FirstFirst ... 354142434445464748 LastLast
Results 661 to 675 of 706

Thread: Drew Stubbs

  1. #661
    Member CrackerJack's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2000
    Location
    Cincinnati, OH
    Posts
    5,012

    Re: Drew Stubbs

    Quote Originally Posted by oregonred View Post
    Replacing a career .319 OBP and .716 OPS CF with a career .287 OBP and .613 OPS guy playing out of position, but for a night or two sure I'll play along

    As long as it's temporary, just about anybody is a better option than Stubbs' right now, he's had plenty of time to turn it around. It's what they need to do the rest of the season that's the problem I suppose...find somebody.

  2. Turn Off Ads?
  3. #662
    Member 757690's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Dayton
    Posts
    11,459

    Re: Drew Stubbs

    I know most of the posters in this thread won't think this matters, but during this 0-28 streak, Stubbs BB/K rate is actually better than his career's .44 to .32.

    Right now, Justin Upton is in a 2-25 streak, and Corey Hart recently had a 1-24 streak. I am sure I could find over a dozen examples of good hitters who have been in similar bad luck streaks as Stubbs.
    "Man, the pitch looks fast, even in slow motion." Thom Brennaman on Chapman's fastball.

  4. #663
    Miami Redhawks Redhook's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Denver
    Posts
    2,257

    Re: Drew Stubbs

    Quote Originally Posted by 757690 View Post
    I am sure I could find over a dozen examples of good hitters who have been in similar bad luck streaks as Stubbs.
    A) Stubbs is not a good hitter. Not even close.
    B) Do you really think luck is the reason Stubbs is slumping?
    "....the two players I liked watching the most were Barry Larkin and Eric Davis. I was suitably entertained by their effortless skill that I didn't need them crashing into walls like a squirrel on a coke binge." - dsmith421

    www.kylevoska.com - Golfer? Check out my blog for golf tips.

  5. #664
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2001
    Posts
    14,273

    Re: Drew Stubbs

    Quote Originally Posted by 757690 View Post
    I know most of the posters in this thread won't think this matters, but during this 0-28 streak, Stubbs BB/K rate is actually better than his career's .44 to .32.

    Right now, Justin Upton is in a 2-25 streak, and Corey Hart recently had a 1-24 streak. I am sure I could find over a dozen examples of good hitters who have been in similar bad luck streaks as Stubbs.
    But he has a .638 OPS.

  6. #665
    Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Amarillo,Texas
    Posts
    4,371

    Re: Drew Stubbs

    I keep hoping he'll work himself back into 2010 form-but I think it's time to send him to AAA. He's in a really bad stretch- I hope he can fix things in the minors. If he shows some major improvement, call him back up in September.

  7. #666
    I thought you'd be bigger OldXOhio's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2002
    Location
    Green Country
    Posts
    2,790

    Re: Drew Stubbs

    Quote Originally Posted by AmarilloRed View Post
    I keep hoping he'll work himself back into 2010 form-but I think it's time to send him to AAA. He's in a really bad stretch- I hope he can fix things in the minors. If he shows some major improvement, call him back up in September.
    When he'll make a fine PR
    Originally Posted by nate
    Chapman can be downright pornographic at times.

  8. #667
    Member 757690's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Dayton
    Posts
    11,459

    Re: Drew Stubbs

    Quote Originally Posted by Kc61 View Post
    But he has a .638 OPS.
    It was .707 before the slump.

    His BABIP is at .272. His career BABIP is .325. Everything points to Stubbs being around a .715 OPS guy. I expect him to be that going forward.
    "Man, the pitch looks fast, even in slow motion." Thom Brennaman on Chapman's fastball.

  9. #668
    Worst Behavior. reds44's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    North Carolina
    Posts
    25,481

    Re: Drew Stubbs

    Quote Originally Posted by 757690 View Post
    It was .707 before the slump.

    His BABIP is at .272. His career BABIP is .325. Everything points to Stubbs being around a .715 OPS guy. I expect him to be that going forward.
    He hasn't been that in a year and a half.
    Quote Originally Posted by PuffyPig View Post
    Let's face it, you mis-hit the bun with the mustard squirter, no one will really care.

  10. #669
    Member cincrazy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    South Vienna, OH
    Posts
    4,395

    Re: Drew Stubbs

    Give me Stubbs at his worst in center over Valdez any freakin day of the week.

  11. #670
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2001
    Posts
    14,273

    Re: Drew Stubbs

    Quote Originally Posted by 757690 View Post
    It was .707 before the slump.

    His BABIP is at .272. His career BABIP is .325. Everything points to Stubbs being around a .715 OPS guy. I expect him to be that going forward.
    Stubbs was in the high .680s range last year in almost 700 plate appearances.

    .717 is a dream. And not that great a dream BTW.

  12. #671
    Member cincrazy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    South Vienna, OH
    Posts
    4,395

    Re: Drew Stubbs

    Quote Originally Posted by Kc61 View Post
    Stubbs was in the high .680s range last year in almost 700 plate appearances.

    .717 is a dream. And not that great a dream BTW.
    I don't think .717 is a "dream." He's done it before. If we didn't overuse him, he could be a very useful player. But letting him bat 700 times a year and hitting him at the top of the order just sets him up to fail.

  13. #672
    Member 757690's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Dayton
    Posts
    11,459

    Re: Drew Stubbs

    Quote Originally Posted by Kc61 View Post
    Stubbs was in the high .680s range last year in almost 700 plate appearances.

    .717 is a dream. And not that great a dream BTW.
    He was at .707 a week ago, and hit .773 two years ago. Adjust his BABIP just to league average, and he's fine. Adjust it to his career average, and he's even better.

    He looked terrible in LA, so I understand the reaction, but even in San Fran and before, he looked better in term of pitch recognition than he ever has.
    "Man, the pitch looks fast, even in slow motion." Thom Brennaman on Chapman's fastball.

  14. #673
    Vampire Weekend @Bernie's camisadelgolf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Cincinnati, OH
    Posts
    11,491

    Re: Drew Stubbs

    Quote Originally Posted by reds44 View Post
    He hasn't been that in a year and a half.
    Yes, he has been below his career norms for a little over the past year. Even then, it's not so much of a decline that he's unworthy of a roster spot or anything. We're talking about a temporary under-performance with some of the reason for it being tied to luck. It happens to pretty much every Major Leaguer at some point. I'd love to hear your alternative solutions.

  15. #674
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2001
    Posts
    14,273

    Re: Drew Stubbs

    Quote Originally Posted by camisadelgolf View Post
    Yes, he has been below his career norms for a little over the past year. Even then, it's not so much of a decline that he's unworthy of a roster spot or anything. We're talking about a temporary under-performance with some of the reason for it being tied to luck. It happens to pretty much every Major Leaguer at some point. I'd love to hear your alternative solutions.
    Get somebody who can hit.

  16. #675
    Member 757690's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Dayton
    Posts
    11,459

    Re: Drew Stubbs

    Quote Originally Posted by Kc61 View Post
    Get somebody who can hit.
    Stubbs is not a good hitter, and probably never will be. However, even with below average hitting skills, he has the overall talent to be a productive player in CF.
    "Man, the pitch looks fast, even in slow motion." Thom Brennaman on Chapman's fastball.


Turn Off Ads?

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Board Moderators may, at their discretion and judgment, delete and/or edit any messages that violate any of the following guidelines: 1. Explicit references to alleged illegal or unlawful acts. 2. Graphic sexual descriptions. 3. Racial or ethnic slurs. 4. Use of edgy language (including masked profanity). 5. Direct personal attacks, flames, fights, trolling, baiting, name-calling, general nuisance, excessive player criticism or anything along those lines. 6. Posting spam. 7. Each person may have only one user account. It is fine to be critical here - that's what this board is for. But let's not beat a subject or a player to death, please.

Thank you, and most importantly, enjoy yourselves!


RedsZone.com is a privately owned website and is not affiliated with the Cincinnati Reds or Major League Baseball


Contact us: Boss | GIK | BCubb2003 | dabvu2498 | Gallen5862 | LexRedsFan | Plus Plus | RedlegJake | redsfan1995 | The Operator | Tommyjohn25