Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: anyone else underwhelmed by Paul Keels?

anyone else underwhelmed by Paul Keels?

I TiVo the games so I'm rarely a part of the game threads but I'm curious what the general feeling is. He obviously has a great broadcasting voice but makes a ton of mistakes. " Herm Winningham didn't get an official AB because of a fielder's choice"??? " And the 1-2 pitch is low...1 and 3." I had to rewind on that one 'cause I thought the tequila had gone straight to my bloodstream.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: anyone else underwhelmed by Paul Keels?

No disrespect intended, but when you are left longing for the saccharin sweet that was George Grande you know there is something wrong.

He's living proof that it takes a little more than being a baseball fan to be a baseball broadcaster.

Championships for MY teams in my lifetime:
    Cincinnati Reds - 75, 76, 90
    Chicago Blackhawks - 10, 13, 15
    University of Kentucky - 78, 96, 98, 12
    Chicago Bulls - 91, 92, 93, 96, 97, 98

“Everything that happens before Death is what counts.”
    ― Ray Bradbury, Something Wicked This Way Comes

Quote Originally Posted by Joseph View Post
    No disrespect intended, but when you are left longing for the saccharin sweet that was George Grande you know there is something wrong.

He's living proof that it takes a little more than being a baseball fan to be a baseball broadcaster.
    that was very well said....poetic even....and I'm not even being sarcastic for once! I think you pretty much summed up what I've been thinking the last couple of weeks.

Keels? Great voice. Nothing to say.

I much prefer Thom.

I would much rather have Jim Kelch as the substitute for Thom Brennaman than Paul Keels, with whom I have been less than impressed. Like you said, he seems to make a lot of mistakes.

Of course, Kelch is also the substitute for Marty Brennaman on the radio side, and both Marty and Thom were absent this weekend. I wonder if there was some sort of Brennaman family function.
    Eric Stratton, Rush Chairman. Damn glad to meet ya.

I think he's getting better. He obviously knows alot about baseball and the Reds, and he's starting to get more excited about plays.

Its a transition for Paul too, remember. He's been on radio basically his whole life, and now he doesn't have to explain every little thing to paint a picture, he just have to give more background.
    Domo Arigato, Here Comes Joey Votto

---TRF

"I do what I want to do and say what I want to say."

--Bronson Arroyo

Titanic Struggles Caveat Emperor's Avatar

I like Jim Kelch quite a bit -- distinctive voice and good baseball knowledge. I'd have him as my everyday pairing with Chris Welsh on the TV side of things.

Keels? I can take him or leave him.
    Cincinnati Reds: Farm System Champions 2022

He reads fly balls like a Cubs fan...
    2010 Mock Draft Selections (picking for Rays)

Bryce Brentz
    Brandon Workman
    Kris Bryant
    Matt Lipka
    Rick Hague

Party like it's 1990 Blitz Dorsey's Avatar

Keels' insight consists of humming, "Umm hmmm" after Welsh says something. Keels broadcasts as if he's trying to put the listener/viewer to sleep. No passion for the game, very dry ... all he has going for him is good pipes.

But as terrible as he is, he's still an upgrade over George Grande.
    Last edited by macro; 05-03-2010 at 09:41 AM.

Haunted by walks

I do like Chris Welsh this year. His analysis isn't perfect, but he seems to be consistently ahead of the action, pointing out something that then happens.

Paul is an awesome basketball and football announcer for The Ohio State Buckeyes. Not a good baseball broadcaster. But atleast I was able to stomach the entire Cardinals series because I did not have George showing his man love for the entire Cardinals organization. I actually thought I was listening to a Reds broadcast.
    Taylor High School
    Home of the "Yellow Jackets"

Even though Paul is not the best, he is a baseball fan and you can tell it with his broadcast. Nothing with a lot of flash, but I can tell he loves the game. He has some great stories and knowledge of the game.
    Taylor High School
    Home of the "Yellow Jackets"

Party like it's 1990 Blitz Dorsey's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by alexad View Post
    Paul is an awesome basketball and football announcer for The Ohio State Buckeyes. Not a good baseball broadcaster. But atleast I was able to stomach the entire Cardinals series because I did not have George showing his man love for the entire Cardinals organization. I actually thought I was listening to a Reds broadcast.
    Keels is terrible on OSU football (completely unprepared, no passion, several mistakes, couldn't be more dry and boring) but is pretty solid doing OSU basketball games. Basketball is clearly his wheelhouse.

I have probably heard Keels more than anyone on this board if I had to guess. I knew Reds fans wouldn't like him (at least the majority). But I still say he's better than George "Goody Two Shoes" Grande.

But there is no question about it: Thom needs to do as many games as possible and Kelch needs to have a bigger role. Kelch is a pro's pro -- a rising star.

Quote Originally Posted by Blitz Dorsey View Post
    Keels is terrible on OSU football (completely unprepared, no passion, several mistakes, couldn't be more dry and boring) but is pretty solid doing OSU basketball games. Basketball is clearly his wheelhouse.

I have probably heard Keels more than anyone on this board if I had to guess. I knew Reds fans wouldn't like him (at least the majority). But I still say he's better than George "Goody Two Shoes" Grande.

But there is no question about it: Thom needs to do as many games as possible and Kelch needs to have a bigger role. Kelch is a pro's pro -- a rising star.
    I've herd Keels a bunch as well and also have listened to him to a few times filling in on the local sports radio talk shows.I'm really not aware of him ever doing baseball although I'm sure he must have some experience to land a gig with the Reds.Hopefully he gets better as things go on.I've always thought of him as a pretty decent radio guy for the Buckeyes.He does seem more knowledgeable then some are giving for credit for being.

Quote Originally Posted by Big Klu View Post
    I would much rather have Jim Kelch as the substitute for Thom Brennaman than Paul Keels, with whom I have been less than impressed. Like you said, he seems to make a lot of mistakes.

Of course, Kelch is also the substitute for Marty Brennaman on the radio side, and both Marty and Thom were absent this weekend. I wonder if there was some sort of Brennaman family function.
    Marty was accepting his Ohio Sportscaster of the year award.

I think Keels deep baritone and even keel(no pun intended) works well in football where there is less dead time and more actual action to describe. I have a feeling the mistakes are part of not calling a baseball game in a long time and hopefully he'll work those out.
    Quote Originally Posted by BuckeyeRed27 View Post
    Honest I can't say it any better than Hoosier Red did in his post, he sums it up basically perfectly.

Turn Off Ads?