Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Love for Mesoraco & Soto

Love for Mesoraco & Soto

Kevin Goldstein's "Monday 10-Pack" includes both Mesoraco and Soto today- first time I've read anything favorable about Meso from him. Check it out if you're a subscriber.
    "In baseball, you don't know nothin'"...Yogi Berra

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Love for Mesoraco & Soto

I said in another thread a few days ago. Catching might be a strength of this organization before this season is over.

Any insight, or does he just note they're doing well?

Resident PED Expert

Quote Originally Posted by GIDP View Post
    I said in another thread a few days ago. Catching might be a strength of this organization before this season is over.
    Agreed. Mez should stay in High A though til mid-season. Give him a chance to see pitchers a second third and fifth time. I'd hate to see him make the first positive offensive strides of his career just to have AA overwhelm him. Plus it gives Soto more time to adjust to Catching and hopefully make the full-time switch by the beginning of next year. Nice to see his (Soto) bat come back around BTW.

Quote Originally Posted by nemesis View Post
    Agreed. Mez should stay in High A though til mid-season. Give him a chance to see pitchers a second third and fifth time. I'd hate to see him make the first positive offensive strides of his career just to have AA overwhelm him. Plus it gives Soto more time to adjust to Catching and hopefully make the full-time switch by the beginning of next year. Nice to see his (Soto) bat come back around BTW.
    I'm fine with Mesoraco staying in Lynchburg for another month or two before going to Carolina, but I wanted to point out that Soto will have part-time duties either way, as Coddington has been ready to play in Lynchburg since the end of last season.
    Go BLUE!!!

Sprinkles are for winners dougdirt's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by nemesis View Post
    I have been listening to a lot of the Lynchburg games because they always seem to start earlier than the other teams so I am able to get in an hour before switching to another game if that is the planned game for the night. The announcer noted in the last week of April that the leagues pitchers already started adjusting to how they pitched to Mesoraco. The first three weeks he was just feasting on guys fastballs and the league started pitching more backwards to him according to their PBP guy. So far at least, it hasn't been working for them. Lets hope he keeps it up (to a point, I don't think he keeps up a 1.000 OPS).

Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    I have been listening to a lot of the Lynchburg games because they always seem to start earlier than the other teams so I am able to get in an hour before switching to another game if that is the planned game for the night. The announcer noted in the last week of April that the leagues pitchers already started adjusting to how they pitched to Mesoraco. The first three weeks he was just feasting on guys fastballs and the league started pitching more backwards to him according to their PBP guy. So far at least, it hasn't been working for them. Lets hope he keeps it up (to a point, I don't think he keeps up a 1.000 OPS).
    Scott Bacon calls a very good game for Lynchburg. I'm a little biased because he's a friend, but I've always been impressed with how prepared he is for each broadcast he does in every sport. I asked him about Mesoraco and he thinks he'll be in Carolina sooner rather than later (perhaps by the end of May).

Quote Originally Posted by lollipopcurve View Post
    Any insight, or does he just note they're doing well?
    Nothing that I'd call "insight". The top note on Mesoraco was that he's thrown out 42% of base-stealers. On Soto,whom he called "big, thick, and slow like a catcher," it was that "his arm is plus."

Soto for 2009: 23 BB/95 K. Thus far, 85 AB (not insignificant), 2010: 6 BB/ 14 K's. That's from over 4:1 to under 2.5:1. He keeps it up (as I think he will), we got something.

On Soto,whom he called "big, thick, and slow like a catcher," it was that "his arm is plus."
    Thanks mace. Actually, I don't think Soto looks big, thick and slow. In the video of him we've seen, he looks pretty lean and agile back there, especially "for a catcher."

I assume Lance's quote and tag to BP is the same piece mentioned above about Mes, but if you go to: http://homer247.com/pages/lancesBlog.html you can read the piece on Mes. Again we see mention of the often mentioned, often debated 'out of shape" comment. Otherwise, there's not much there other than goldstein thinks Mes is having a break out season.

I made mention of it in the 'what minor leaguer would you most like to see break out" thread (or whatever the title was exactly) that I thought Mes was perhaps the biggest key to the Reds future of the current minor leaguers. Perhaps chapman should be thrown out of the equation, but of everyone else, they have multiple players that could break into the bigs and stick, but Catcher is woefully short. W/ Hannigan showing signs of being a major league regular, it would be nice to have Mes ready to take his place in a couple of seasons, first as a part time, split duty, learn on the job back, then as the fulltime catcher as hannigan gets to arbitration and gets more expensive. On the other end, it would be great if Mes could provide the bridge to Soto should Soto prove to be the better major league catcher. Both are young enough that the bridge would be short, but there will certainly be room for both of them for a season or 2 should they both prove worthy of regular catching duty.

Quote Originally Posted by lollipopcurve View Post
    Actually, I don't think Soto looks big, thick and slow. In the video of him we've seen, he looks pretty lean and agile back there, especially "for a catcher."
    Yeah, I thought the same thing. He always looked thin to me, which made it a bit surprising that they always talk about his lack of speed. But that part seems to be unanimous.

Quote Originally Posted by mace View Post
    Yeah, I thought the same thing. He always looked thin to me, which made it a bit surprising that they always talk about his lack of speed. But that part seems to be unanimous.
    Me three. I'd have called him relatively small for a catcher and agile-looking.

I asked him about Mesoraco and he thinks he'll be in Carolina sooner rather than later (perhaps by the end of May).
    Carolina's awful. I'm not sure I'd throw him into that situation anytime soon. If a promotion happens, I'd make it with a group of guys that remakes that team. Probably around the halfway point of the season, or later.

Turn Off Ads?