Turn Off Ads?

Thread: Greinke's 0-19 pace...

High five!

Greinke's 0-19 pace...

...highlights folly of keeping win/loss stats

According to this article. Excerpt:

After six starts, Greinke is 0-3. He's on pace to finish with 214 strikeouts, an 0.98 WHIP, an ERA of 2.27 ... and a record of 0-19.
    Discuss!

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Greinke's 0-19 pace...

Quote Originally Posted by nate View Post
    ...highlights folly of keeping win/loss stats

According to this article. Excerpt:

Discuss!
    I don't think its folly to keep those stats, but I do think its folly to judge a pitcher solely on those stats.

However it is astounding to see those number projections.

Championships for MY teams in my lifetime:
    Cincinnati Reds - 75, 76, 90
    Chicago Blackhawks - 10, 13, 15
    University of Kentucky - 78, 96, 98, 12
    Chicago Bulls - 91, 92, 93, 96, 97, 98

“Everything that happens before Death is what counts.”
    ― Ray Bradbury, Something Wicked This Way Comes

Offer the Royals Micah Owings for him. He's on pace to be 13-0.
    "Imagination is more important than knowledge." -- Albert Einstein

He should be throwing shut outs.

Slacker who doesn't know how to win.
    Go Gators!

High five!

Let me quibble with the article I posted. This bit in particular:

Baseball is 50 percent hitting and 50 percent defense, with pitching taking up a large portion of defense's share. I don't know how much. Even if it's 49.9 percent, it should tell you that no one person deserves a "W" or an "L" hung on their record. Maybe a manager. Again, beside the point.
    See, I don't agree with "pitching taking up a large portion of defense's share." Once pitches are put in play, they're the defense's responsibility. I don't think, on average, a starting pitcher is responsible for getting the majority of hitters he faces out. I would say that the majority of outs are the responsibility of the defense. True, great pitchers probably strike out around half of the batters they face but even then, does that mean they're responsible for the majority of run prevention?

Let me quibble with the article I posted. This bit in particular:

See, I don't agree with "pitching taking up a large portion of defense's share." Once pitches are put in play, they're the defense's responsibility. I don't think, on average, a starting pitcher is responsible for getting the majority of hitters he faces out. I would say that the majority of outs are the responsibility of the defense. True, great pitchers probably strike out around half of the batters they face but even then, does that mean they're responsible for the majority of run prevention?
    Bad pitchers let up more hits than good pitchers. And it has less to do with defense than it does with them not being very good.

I think that is his point.

RZ Chamber of Commerce Unassisted's Avatar

Maybe KC will trade him for prospects to NYY/PHI/LAD/LAA/BOS after the ASB?
    /r/reds

Greinke, and not Verlander, should have won the Cy Young award. i was very vocal about that, but can't remember if i was doing that here or not.

Code:
    Pitcher	W-L	ERA	IP	H	HR	BB	K	WHIP	SLG	OBA	AVG	
    Greinke	16-8	2.16	229.1	195	11	51	242	1.07	336	276	230
    Verlander 19-9	3.45	240	219	20	63	269	1.18	369	295	243
    but one of these two play in a market that has 916,952 people (in proper), and the other plays in a market that has 450,375 people (in proper).
    Last edited by Ravenlord; 05-04-2010 at 01:30 AM.
    the store for all your blade, costuming (in any regard), leather (also in any regard), and steel craft needs.www.facebook.com/tdhshop

yes, this really is how we make our living.

Quote Originally Posted by Ravenlord View Post
    Greinke, and not Verlander, should have won the Cy Young award. i was very vocal about that, but can't remember if i was doing that here or not.

Code:
    but one of these two play in a market that has 916,952 people (in proper), and the other plays in a market that has 450,375 people (in proper).
    I honestly don't remember much of a campaign for Verlander, there wasn't even that much of one for Felix. To be fair, almost everyone, including the voters, got it right for once.
    "Reality tells us there are no guarantees. Except that some day Jon Lester will be on that list of 100-game winners." - Peter Gammons

Goes to show how bad the Royals are.

Quote Originally Posted by Ravenlord View Post

Code:
    But Greinke did win the AL Cy Young! Along with Lincecum's victory, I actually thought the awards went to the right two pitchers last year.
    “Every level he goes to, he is going to compete. They will know who he is at every level he goes to.” -- ED on EDLC

Calgary, Alberta, aka, the most prosperous city in the world.

. True, great pitchers probably strike out around half of the batters they face but even then, does that mean they're responsible for the majority of run prevention?
    Half?

That would mean that truly great pitchers would be getting about 2 K's per inning.

High five!

Quote Originally Posted by PuffyPig View Post
    Half?

That would mean that truly great pitchers would be getting about 2 K's per inning.
    True, so it's even fewer batters that pitchers retire on their own.

Jocketty should offer Rosales and Stewart for Greinke. Maybe Moore would bite? For sweetner, Jocketty could offer up Hamilton.
    "This isn’t stats vs scouts - this is stats and scouts working together, building an organization that blends the best of both worlds. This is the blueprint for how a baseball organization should be run. And, whether the baseball men of the 20th century like it or not, this is where baseball is going."---Dave Cameron, U.S.S. Mariner

Turn Off Ads?