Turn Off Ads?

Thread: RIP, Ernie Harwell....

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: RIP, Ernie Harwell....

There's no "Ron LeFlore Story" without Harwell, no Al Kaline moments, no Denny McClain 30-win season, no Mickey Lolich 3 World Series victories, no wire-to-wire 1984 Tigers, etc.

Bo Schembechler, with the dumbest move in all of sports, fires him in 1991, and then he's rehired in 1993 after a change in ownership.

Harwell hoped to live to see his next birthday when he learned of the diesease. He saw that birthday on January 25th. He said he didn't think he'd live to see spring training this year...he did.

You knew this was coming and you hate to see it. I was tuned in to the Reds game when it was announced.

RIP Ernie, you were a class individual.

Godspeed Mr. Harwell....Hall of Fame announcer, Southern Gentleman, class act.
    "...kicks and deals, and it's right down Broadway"

I used to pick up Tigers games on the radio from Louisville at night sometimes when I was a kid. Harwell had an amazing voice and could really paint a picture for you. I got to grow up listening to Marty, so I did alright, but baseball fans growing up in Detroit were certainly lucky to have Harwell to listen to. Definitely will be missed.

Just hearing of this reading this thread, man, makes my eyes a lil watery. My dad grew up in Detroit and with the Tig's, and we got to meet Mr. Harwell a few times at games, spring training, etc, and he was always such a nice person, as well as one of the greatest ever.
    That said, what exactly does "Godspeed" even mean ^? I hear it all the itme of course, but dont really get its meaning...
    UNC Tar Heels 2017 National Champions 6 time NCAA Champs!!!
    57, 82, 93, 05, 09, 17
    Go Heels!!!!!

I just want to say that I feel personnaly honered to have been able to enjoy his work. R.I.P. mr Harwell

A great person and announcer. RIP
    * Attended the 1990 and 2010 Reds Division clinchers *

Go 76ers, Go Steelers and Go Bucks

Great announcer, and from what I've heard, an even greater human being. RIP.

Turn Off Ads?