Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How much longer

How much longer

How much longer can Dusty justify not playing Hannigan and Janish more.

1. Hanigan is OPS 1.056 and Janish 1.013
    2. Hernandez is OPS .700 and OCab .636
    3. Both are higher thought of from defensive standpoint.

Janish's PT has been extremely absurd considering what OCab is giving us.

2. Turn Off Ads?
    Reds Fan 4 life!!!!!

Re: How much longer

I felt that Janish should have been brought in to pinch run for Rolen in extra innings last night. I realize nothing came of it but Janish has been a clutch hitter and is a MUCH better defensive player than anyone on the team. If nothing else i think that Janish should come in for OCab in the 7th or 8th inning every game. This will save Ocabs legs and give Janish some ab.

As for Haningan, I'm not sold that more playing time is going to help this team or him. I really think he is a platoon guy.
    "Ahh, Jesus, I like him very much, but He no help with curveball." - Serrano. "Are you trying to say Jesus Christ can't hit a curveball?" - Harris in Major League (1989)

All work and no play..... Vottomatic's Avatar

Agree about Janish.

I think Hernandez has quality at-bats. And he had that guy thrown out dead nutz last night at second, if not for Cabrera's error. Perfect throw.

I like the platoon of Hernandez and Hanigan. Keep them both fresh. I think it's a great situation.

Janish should be brought in for defensive purposes every game in the 7th and beyond. He should also get a couple of starts a week to keep him fresh.
    "I can't take this homerism anymore." - 10xWSChamps, August 11, 2010. A Cardinals fan having a problem with all the homerism on Redszone. Classic.

"Man do I miss the days where were didn't need a calculator and an encyclopedia of baseball metrics to enjoy a baseball game ... - MikeS21" - 8/2/12 game thread

Quote Originally Posted by ian_madden View Post
    I felt that Janish should have been brought in to pinch run for Rolen in extra innings last night. I realize nothing came of it but Janish has been a clutch hitter and is a MUCH better defensive player than anyone on the team. If nothing else i think that Janish should come in for OCab in the 7th or 8th inning every game. This will save Ocabs legs and give Janish some ab.

As for Haningan, I'm not sold that more playing time is going to help this team or him. I really think he is a platoon guy.
    Definitely have to agree with that. Right now we are getting a 1.000 OPS out of Hanigan, and Ramon is getting on base at a .393 clip. We should be very happy with the total production we are getting out of the platoon, I know I am right now. I am a believer once you get Hanigan over a certain amount of PT his production will take a strong hit...let's remember he started off last year hitting very well and took a sharp dive after Ramon got hurt.

Right now are platoon is working, lets not break it.

I couldn't believe Baker didn't have Hanigan pinch hit last night instead of Cairo. Great opportunity for a go-ahead RBI and to give Leake the W. He goes with f'in Cairo who is absolutely gawd awful.

Quote Originally Posted by sivman17 View Post
    I couldn't believe Baker didn't have Hanigan pinch hit last night instead of Cairo. Great opportunity for a go-ahead RBI and to give Leake the W. He goes with f'in Cairo who is absolutely gawd awful.
    It's well known Dusty doesn't want to pinch hit his backup catcher, and I am pretty sure pretty much every manager has the same mentality. If you run out of outfielder's you can put someone in LF to play. If Ramon gets hurt and Hanigan is already out of the game, who is going to catch? That is another reason we need Castillo to fill Cairo's role because he can fill in as a catcher if needed and play pretty much anywhere.

Everyone needs to get off the Janish wagon. Hitting him more often will just get EVERYONE'S hopes up once his average drops to that .220 range of last year. LET IT GO!!!!

O-Cab leads our team in RBIs, so until Votto decides to step his game up in that department, everyone else needs to step down...

Quote Originally Posted by PhillipsHead View Post
    Everyone needs to get off the Janish wagon. Hitting him more often will just get EVERYONE'S hopes up once his average drops to that .220 range of last year. LET IT GO!!!!

O-Cab leads our team in RBIs, so until Votto decides to step his game up in that department, everyone else needs to step down...
    He leads the team in RBI's cause our 8 hole hitter usually has the highest OBP on the team... (Hanigan .500 / Henandez .393) and our 1 and 2 hitters who was O-Cab for most of the season has a .288 OBP. Joey's game has been fine. It's the guy's in front of him (O-Cab, Phillips, Stubbs) who need to step their game up.

Janish posted a .296 OBP last year. I would bet my bottom dollar he could post a .260/.320/.370 split for the season with near Gold Glove level defense... Vs O-Cab who has a .250/.288/.348 this year with a horrible split against RH's of .214/.221/.343... That's a very Taveras like .564 OPS... While on the other hand in limited playing time Janish is Crushing RH's... Not to mention 1/3rd the range and 3/4ths the arm that Janish has all for only $3 Million dollars more...
    If you can't be a good example... then you'll just have to be a horrible warning...

Nothing tastes as good as being fit feels...

Quote Originally Posted by PhillipsHead View Post

Agreed. Remember one of the reasons we signed O-Cab was because they didnt think Janish had enough offence to play SS everyday. But he does have a great glove.

Quote Originally Posted by nemesis View Post
    He leads the team in RBI's cause our 8 hole hitter usually has the highest OBP on the team... (Hanigan .500 / Henandez .393) and our 1 and 2 hitters who was O-Cab for most of the season has a .288 OBP. Joey's game has been fine. It's the guy's in front of him (O-Cab, Phillips, Stubbs) who need to step their game up.

Janish posted a .296 OBP last year. I would bet my bottom dollar he could post a .260/.320/.370 split for the season with near Gold Glove level defense... Vs O-Cab who has a .250/.288/.348 this year with a horrible split against RH's of .214/.221/.343... That's a very Taveras like .564 OPS... While on the other hand in limited playing time Janish is Crushing RH's... Not to mention 1/3rd the range and 3/4ths the arm that Janish has all for only $3 Million dollars more...
    Why not look up that stats before making your claims? How many time does the 8 hole hitter get on base when they are leading off the inning? Cause if there is 1 out he sure isn't gonna be on base when OCab gets up because we have an automatic out at pitcher and leadoff half the time.

Ocab is leading the team in RBI's because he gets the job done with a runner is on 3rd with less than 1 out, unlike the rest of our team. He has 19 ab's with RISP and 10 RBI. Meanwhile Votto has 10 RBI's with 24 ab's with RISP.

Yet the reason Joey is tied with OCab for the team lead in RBI is OCAB'S FAULT??? Please explain that one to me...

In those 19 ab's OCab has k'd 2 times, where Votto has k'd 7 times in his 24 ab's. When you put the ball in play with RISP you make things happen and runs get scored.

Has it occured to you that Joey just hasn't quite got it going at the plate yet...and hasn't gotten it going fully with RISP. It's not OCab's fault. It's Joey's fault. But hey, since we are Reds fans we might as well make another excuse for someone performing below their typical ways.

Hard to get RBI chances when no one is on in front of you.

Quote Originally Posted by GIDP View Post
    Hard to get RBI chances when no one is on in front of you.
    Take a wild guess at who leads the team with 24 AB's with RISP...Joey Votto. I am not sure why everyone is complaining he doesn't get RBI chances because of the guys in front of him. He has the most RBI chances on the entire team.

Quote Originally Posted by Griffey012 View Post
    Take a wild guess at who leads the team with 24 AB's with RISP...Joey Votto. I am not sure why everyone is complaining he doesn't get RBI chances because of the guys in front of him. He has the most RBI chances on the entire team.
    and hes hitting with a .983 OPS in those situations. Yes Cabrera has been good at knocking in runners but producing for everyone else behind him? Hes been bad. Votto should have more RBIs and the reason he doesnt has been Stubbs and Cabrera not being there.

Votto isnt even in the top 40 for ABs with runners on base. Cabrera is a reason why Votto doesnt have more RBIs. Because he has knocked a lot of them in before Votto and also because he hasnt been on base for Votto to knock him in.

Quote Originally Posted by GIDP View Post
    and hes hitting with a .983 OPS in those situations. Yes Cabrera has been good at knocking in runners but producing for everyone else behind him? Hes been bad. Votto should have more RBIs and the reason he doesnt has been Stubbs and Cabrera not being there.

Votto isnt even in the top 40 for ABs with runners on base. Cabrera is a reason why Votto doesnt have more RBIs. Because he has knocked a lot of them in before Votto and also because he hasnt been on base for Votto to knock him in.
    Including the fact that OCab has been knocking in some runs and taking away some of Votto's chances makes the point much more valid. The original person who I got onto the topic with seemed to be blaming it all on OCab because of his lack of OBP, and claimed the only reason OCab was getting in runners was because of opportunities. But didn't mention the fact Votto was missing some oppotunities because OCab was getting his job done also.

You can't deny the fact that Votto hasn't been knocking in runners at as high of a rate as he should be. 24 AB's with RISP and 10 rbi's is about an average ratio, but the good hitters in the league have that ratio about 2:1. It's all a pretty pointless debate less than 100 AB's into the season either way.

Im just saying keeping Cabrera in because of "RBI" doesnt really matter that much because if he hits for a .600 OPS hes not going to be knocking them in at the rate he was.

Turn Off Ads?