Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 16 to 30 of 40

Thread: Strasburg goes to AAA

  1. #16
    Member membengal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Baltimore
    Posts
    8,957

    Re: Strasburg goes to AAA

    Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    Yep. This is exactly how we should react when someone doesn't say he is perfect. Either he is perfect or he is the worst player we have ever had.
    Stubbs is the best!

  2. Turn Off Ads?
  3. #17
    Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Posts
    3,072

    Re: Strasburg goes to AAA

    Quote Originally Posted by OnBaseMachine View Post
    BTW, I think it's pretty funny how there was a ton of excuses being made for Strasburg after his bad start the other night but you don't see any of that for Chapman. I'm reading about how Strasburg had a terrible defense behind him, a small strikezone, and gave up some cheap hits. I guess Chapman's pitching with eight gold glovers behind him and a perfect strikezone.
    ESPN and the sports media has a marketing interest in building Strasburg as Superman, if he has a bad start or slumps, they are going to downplay it to keep his superstar image alive.

    If they have a phenom to push, they're going to do everything they can to build that player up to keep interest in everything he does and get ratings.
    I hope it's never sunny in Philly again.

  4. #18
    Member cumberlandreds's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    Sterling VA
    Posts
    9,012

    Re: Strasburg goes to AAA

    Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    Nope. It has everything to do with bringing him up June 1st or there abouts. The plan from the beginning was a month in AA, a month in AAA and then to the majors, unless he stumbled along the way.
    If that's the case then the Reds have a chance to face him in his MLB debut. The Reds are in DC June 4-6.
    Reds Fan Since 1971

  5. #19
    The Boss dougdirt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    34,877

    Re: Strasburg goes to AAA

    Quote Originally Posted by cumberlandreds View Post
    If that's the case then the Reds have a chance to face him in his MLB debut. The Reds are in DC June 4-6.
    Yep. There were some people hoping that somehow the planets would align to see Chapman vs Strasburg in their MLB debuts. For a while there the two were pitching on the same day.

  6. #20
    Member OnBaseMachine's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    34,844

    Re: Strasburg goes to AAA

    Mike Leake vs Stephen Strasburg wouldn't be a bad matchup either. There's some people out there, albeit not many, that think Leake will have a better career than Strasburg. IIRC, Adam Foster of Project Prospect is one of those people.
    I miss Adam Dunn.

  7. #21
    Member medford's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Posts
    2,081

    Re: Strasburg goes to AAA

    Can you imagine the hype if Strassburg was in the majors right now and off to the start that Leake is on? You'd hear all the hype about how "nerves" got to him in his first 2 starts, but since his control has returned to form, he's on top of things, he's sure to be a future all-star, many times over. Instead the national media gives us updates on Stassburg's minor league games and virtually ignore what Leake has done.

  8. #22
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    New York, NY
    Posts
    8,811

    Re: Strasburg goes to AAA

    Quote Originally Posted by medford View Post
    Can you imagine the hype if Strassburg was in the majors right now and off to the start that Leake is on? You'd hear all the hype about how "nerves" got to him in his first 2 starts, but since his control has returned to form, he's on top of things, he's sure to be a future all-star, many times over. Instead the national media gives us updates on Stassburg's minor league games and virtually ignore what Leake has done.
    Sad but true. Leake's just not as sexy of a story. MLB has been trying hard to sell the story and ESPN has been eating it up. The fact that Strasburg was the #1 pick overall is a big reason why.

  9. #23
    The Boss dougdirt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    34,877

    Re: Strasburg goes to AAA

    Quote Originally Posted by fearofpopvol1 View Post
    Sad but true. Leake's just not as sexy of a story. MLB has been trying hard to sell the story and ESPN has been eating it up. The fact that Strasburg was the #1 pick overall is a big reason why.
    Its not so much that he was the #1 pick, its because of the things that made him the #1 pick. He is viewed as far and away the best draft eligible pitcher since Mark Prior. We didn't get updates on David Price or Justin Verlander in the minors. It is because of what Strasburg the pitcher is, not because of where he went in the draft.

  10. #24
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    New York, NY
    Posts
    8,811

    Re: Strasburg goes to AAA

    Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    Its not so much that he was the #1 pick, its because of the things that made him the #1 pick. He is viewed as far and away the best draft eligible pitcher since Mark Prior. We didn't get updates on David Price or Justin Verlander in the minors. It is because of what Strasburg the pitcher is, not because of where he went in the draft.
    The #1 draft slot definitely plays a role in the overall picture. If Strasburg went in the 20s to the Twins, would that change the storyline? I think it would.

  11. #25
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    6,419

    Re: Strasburg goes to AAA

    Quote Originally Posted by fearofpopvol1 View Post
    The #1 draft slot definitely plays a role in the overall picture. If Strasburg went in the 20s to the Twins, would that change the storyline? I think it would.
    I think you cant have one with out the other.

  12. #26
    The Boss dougdirt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    34,877

    Re: Strasburg goes to AAA

    Quote Originally Posted by fearofpopvol1 View Post
    The #1 draft slot definitely plays a role in the overall picture. If Strasburg went in the 20s to the Twins, would that change the storyline? I think it would.
    Not if he fell because of signability and he was still the exact same pitcher, no, it wouldn't matter one bit. The guy went #1 because he was far and away the best talent. If he fell down the boards because of signing concerns, but did sign, it would still be the same thing.

  13. #27
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    New York, NY
    Posts
    8,811

    Re: Strasburg goes to AAA

    Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    Not if he fell because of signability and he was still the exact same pitcher, no, it wouldn't matter one bit. The guy went #1 because he was far and away the best talent. If he fell down the boards because of signing concerns, but did sign, it would still be the same thing.
    I disagree emphatically unless he went to a major market team (a la the Yanks, BoSox, Cubs etc). I don't deny that his talent is a big reason why there is all the hype, but where he went in the draft is definitely a major part of it.

  14. #28
    The Boss dougdirt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    34,877

    Re: Strasburg goes to AAA

    Quote Originally Posted by fearofpopvol1 View Post
    I disagree emphatically unless he went to a major market team (a la the Yanks, BoSox, Cubs etc). I don't deny that his talent is a big reason why there is all the hype, but where he went in the draft is definitely a major part of it.
    Then why didn't we get updates on Tim Beckham, David Price or Luke Hochevar?

  15. #29
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    New York, NY
    Posts
    8,811

    Re: Strasburg goes to AAA

    Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    Then why didn't we get updates on Tim Beckham, David Price or Luke Hochevar?
    Because MLB was involved and they helped sell the story to ESPN and SI and other sports mediums. But I believe if he had dropped in the draft and went to the Twins into the 20s...we would be hearing a lot less.

  16. #30
    Member cumberlandreds's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    Sterling VA
    Posts
    9,012

    Re: Strasburg goes to AAA

    Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    Yep. There were some people hoping that somehow the planets would align to see Chapman vs Strasburg in their MLB debuts. For a while there the two were pitching on the same day.
    That will never happen. Both clubs know when they trot out Strasburg and Chapman for their MLB debut it will be a sell out or near a sell out.
    I will say Chapman will make his debut against KC the weekend of June 11th and Strasburg against the Reds the week before.
    Reds Fan Since 1971


Turn Off Ads?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Board Moderators may, at their discretion and judgment, delete and/or edit any messages that violate any of the following guidelines: 1. Explicit references to alleged illegal or unlawful acts. 2. Graphic sexual descriptions. 3. Racial or ethnic slurs. 4. Use of edgy language (including masked profanity). 5. Direct personal attacks, flames, fights, trolling, baiting, name-calling, general nuisance, excessive player criticism or anything along those lines. 6. Posting spam. 7. Each person may have only one user account. It is fine to be critical here - that's what this board is for. But let's not beat a subject or a player to death, please.

Thank you, and most importantly, enjoy yourselves!


RedsZone.com is a privately owned website and is not affiliated with the Cincinnati Reds or Major League Baseball


Contact us: Boss | GIK | BCubb2003 | dabvu2498 | Gallen5862 | LexRedsFan | Plus Plus | RedlegJake | redsfan1995 | The Operator | Tommyjohn25