Turn Off Ads?
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Strasburg goes to AAA

Re: Strasburg goes to AAA

Quote Originally Posted by cumberlandreds View Post
    That will never happen. Both clubs know when they trot out Strasburg and Chapman for their MLB debut it will be a sell out or near a sell out.
    No way. I doubt there will be a significant bump in attendance for Chapman's first start (if it is Cincinnati). Maybe a few thousand extra walk-ups. Maybe.

2. Turn Off Ads?

BTW, I think it's pretty funny how there was a ton of excuses being made for Strasburg after his bad start the other night but you don't see any of that for Chapman. I'm reading about how Strasburg had a terrible defense behind him, a small strikezone, and gave up some cheap hits. I guess Chapman's pitching with eight gold glovers behind him and a perfect strikezone.
    I noticed the same thing.

Quote Originally Posted by fearofpopvol1 View Post
    Because MLB was involved and they helped sell the story to ESPN and SI and other sports mediums. But I believe if he had dropped in the draft and went to the Twins into the 20s...we would be hearing a lot less.
    I agree with this, and I think it's a good thing.

A lot of people on Redszone are looking forward to the MLB draft, but the casual fan doesn't care much. Most of those guys won't make an impact for YEARS. Strasburg is different. He was considered the best amateur player in the world at his sport subject to the draft. MLB should be hyping the hell out of him. But in that same breath, they should be doing the same with Mike Leake. Chapman too. Leake because of what he's doing at the MLB level, something neither Chapman nor Strasburg have touched yet, and Chapman because he's the international LH version of Strasburg.

Promote, promote, promote. Get as much video out there as you can, because we need kids to start mimicking and liking these future major leaguers.
    Dubito Ergo Cogito Ergo Sum.

Tom Boswell has a good column today on the high expectations for Strasburg, trying to temper things for the fans. A good thought for Reds fans too viz Chapman.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn...l?hpid=artslot
    “In the same way that a baseball season never really begins, it never really ends either.” - Lonnie Wheeler, "Bleachers, A Summer in Wrigley Field"

The Baseball Emporium - Books & Things.

The Baseball Bookstore

http://tsc-sales.com/
    http://tscsales.blogspot.com/
    http://silverscreenbooks.com/

Quote Originally Posted by top6 View Post
    No way. I doubt there will be a significant bump in attendance for Chapman's first start (if it is Cincinnati). Maybe a few thousand extra walk-ups. Maybe.
    Yeah, there were only a couple hundred on hand when the just-as-hyped Homer Bailey made his debut.

I think it was Mo Egger the other night said that rumor is SS is going to make his debut when the the Nats are playing the Reds.

Chapman just isn't the polished prospect that is Strasburg. Chapman will come up when he is ready. Strasburg has been ready from day 1.

Even if Strasburg and Chapman are stars, I think the hype is borish when it happens prospect after prospect after prospect after prospect...
    "Rounding 3rd and heading for home, good night everybody"

'19 '40 '75 '76 '90

June 4 would be the day if we're going to see him, one would think.

Strasburg's start in Rochester will be streamed on MiLB.TV tonight. Rochester normally doesn't stream video.

Turn Off Ads?