Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Arthur Rhodes: at what point do we try to sign him for 2011?

Arthur Rhodes: at what point do we try to sign him for 2011?

Rhodes has been outstanding as a Red. Simply outstanding.
    Despite being 40 years old he can still pitch.
    This years line: 10.2 IP 3 hits 2BB/12K 1 ER

He is a free agent after this year. If he continues to pitch well I'd like him back for 2011. Obviously if we wait until the offseason he'll hit the open market.

Should Walt try to extend him now?
    Wait until later in the year?
    Wait until the offseason?
    How much will it take for 2011?
    What if he wants another 2 years deal?

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Arthur Rhodes: at what point do we try to sign him for 2011?

Wait until the off-season and see what the asking price is. Relievers are risky, no need to lock him up ahead of time only for him to get injured or turn into a pumpkin.
    “I don’t care,” Votto said of passing his friend and former teammate. “He’s in the past. Bye-bye, Jay.”

If we can get a sandwich pick if he signs elsewhere, I'd be fine letting him walk. I liked the Affeldt-for-Boxberger trade. Would've loved the Affeldt-for-Scheppers trade, but that's neither here nor there (and we're on The ORG, not the MLF.)
    Go BLUE!!!

After the season. He could get injured. His performance could decline. Very few relievers are so reliably special that they need to be signed to multi-year deals. It's great that he's been effective so far at 40, but the end will come sooner rather than later and I'd prefer to not be on the hook when that happens.
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

Simply a question, nothing more, nobody come unglued.
    Package him with another to try to solve some issues with the team, if the timing is right during the season???

Quote Originally Posted by Spring~Fields View Post
    Simply a question, nothing more, nobody come unglued.
    Package him with another to try to solve some issues with the team, if the timing is right during the season???
    If the return is good and the team is out of it, that would only make sense. Unless he is projected to produce a comp pick, then that reutrn would have to exceed the pick.

This team is destined not to contend for several seasons. No sense in wasting resources when they're not going to contribute to contention. Just focus on trading off Arroyo, Harang, Cordero, Phillips, and even Rhodes. And maybe one of Bruce or Bailey.

I think the Reds could make a nice mint off teams like Philly or SF--maybe Boston or LA if they turn it around for arms like Rhodes and Masset. Heck, they may be able to get something for Cordero.
    Last edited by Falls City Beer; 05-04-2010 at 09:26 PM.
    “And when finally they sense that some position cannot be sustained, they do not re-examine their ideas. Instead, they simply change the subject.” Jamie Galbraith

Quote Originally Posted by Falls City Beer View Post
    This team is destined not to contend for several seasons. No sense in wasting resources when they're not going to contribute to contention. Just focus on trading off Arroyo, Harang, Cordero, Phillips, and even Rhodes. And maybe one of Bruce or Bailey.

I think the Reds could make a nice mint off teams like Philly or SF--maybe Boston or LA if they turn it around for arms like Rhodes and Masset. Heck, they may be able to get something for Cordero.

That's odd. I was reading your comments above before your edit, then thinking, yes. Then in my mind I was asking you, but, who would be the good trading partners or teams for the Reds to deal with? You came back and answered without me writing the question. Wow you're good.

The Rays could really use Arthur Rhodes. I'd want Reid Brignac.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

the problem with trading Rhodes for a prospect is that i don't really trust the Reds to get anybody good. its like a bird in the hand (Rhodes) is worth two in the bush (prosopect). part of the reason we have been so bad in recent years is that we fail to put 25 honest to goodness major league players on the roster each year. we have one in Rhodes so i am a bit hesitant just to say 'trade him for a prospect'.

Quote Originally Posted by Will M View Post
    the problem with trading Rhodes for a prospect is that i don't really trust the Reds to get anybody good. its like a bird in the hand (Rhodes) is worth two in the bush (prosopect). part of the reason we have been so bad in recent years is that we fail to put 25 honest to goodness major league players on the roster each year. we have one in Rhodes so i am a bit hesitant just to say 'trade him for a prospect'.
    I hear what you're saying--the Reds ability to identify prospects is horrid. But it doesn't make a ton of sense to keep spending money on 40 year olds.
    “And when finally they sense that some position cannot be sustained, they do not re-examine their ideas. Instead, they simply change the subject.” Jamie Galbraith

Quote Originally Posted by Will M View Post
    Rhodes is going to be 41. Trade him at the deadline and don't worry about having Rhodes next year. They'll have to get somebody else soon anyway. Deal him while he can fetch some one who will help for a few years. That doesn't mean give him away.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

Quote Originally Posted by mth123 View Post
    Rhodes is going to be 41. Trade him at the deadline and don't worry about having Rhodes next year. They'll have to get somebody else soon anyway. Deal him while he can fetch some one who will help for a few years. That doesn't mean give him away.
    Yes, I would think that all trade suggestions are premised with the assumption that they would get back solutions that would move the Reds up and forward in a proactive manner, along with players that they can afford.

Give away is probably not what most of us are thinking. Of course the questions of value or over valuing come up. This is one place that I agree with other’s in that I am glad that an experienced Jocketty will be doing the driving in any deals.

Quote Originally Posted by Benihana View Post
    If we can get a sandwich pick if he signs elsewhere, I'd be fine letting him walk. I liked the Affeldt-for-Boxberger trade. Would've loved the Affeldt-for-Scheppers trade, but that's neither here nor there (and we're on The ORG, not the MLF.)
    I agree with you almost completely. (I like Boxberger as the better prospect and think Scheppers' arm is a ticking time bomb.)

Also, don't forget about letting go of Schoeneweis to get another highly-touted pitching prospect (although his stock has declined quite a bit due to injury over the past couple years).

I'd trade him as soon as possible. Sure He's been lights out, that's why I'd trade him as quick as I could before he burns out.

Turn Off Ads?