Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Reds Hated More Than Yankees

Reds Hated More Than Yankees

Clearly a few unnamed RedsZone members got to vote often...

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB1000...180269378.html

Code:
    The Hatred Index

Team 	        Score
    1. Cleveland Indians	0.9
    2. Boston Red Sox	1.1
    3. Cincinnati Reds	1.5
    4  Houston Astros	1.8
    5. New York Yankees	1.8
    6. Washington Nationals	1.9
    7. Chicago White Sox	2
    8. Baltimore Orioles	2
    9. New York Mets	2.3
    10. Los Angeles Dodgers	2.4
    "Imagination is more important than knowledge." -- Albert Einstein

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Reds Hated More Than Yankees

Any poll that mentions "hate" that doesnt have Red Sox, Scrubs, Skanks at the top makes me very skeptical especially considering when was the last time we were relevant enough to hate?
    Quote Originally Posted by teamselig
    The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change, the realist adjusts the sails.

William Arthur Ward

Since this seems to be an algorithm that scowers the internet for random opinions, I'd be willing to wager the Reds score is lower not because more people hate them.. but because there are fewer people that like them to bring their score up. The Yankees have a lot of hatred directed towards them but also have a bunch of love from Yankees fans. The Reds fanbase is not as large as the Yankees, so there aren't as many people to help balance out the rating. Just my opinion

The Future is Now Ghosts of 1990's Avatar

I've always hated the Astros most. Then the Phillies then the Cubs. I respect the Cardinals. I root against the Astros and Phils on a nightly basis
    2009 Attendance Record: 3-5 2010 Attendance Record: 2-9 2015 Attendance Record: 2-0
    2011 Attendance Record: 3-4 2012 Attendance Record: 3-4
    2013 Attendance Record: 5-2 2014 Attendance Record: 3-1

Quote Originally Posted by Tornon View Post
    Since this seems to be an algorithm that scowers the internet for random opinions, I'd be willing to wager the Reds score is lower not because more people hate them.. but because there are fewer people that like them to bring their score up. The Yankees have a lot of hatred directed towards them but also have a bunch of love from Yankees fans. The Reds fanbase is not as large as the Yankees, so there aren't as many people to help balance out the rating. Just my opinion
    Yeah, sounds like you worked in polling, because that's exactly how it works. Polorizing issues tend to end up in the middle in polls like these, with the two extremes canceling each other out. And while I hate to admit it, the Yankees by sheer numbers, are most likely the most loved team in Baseball right now.
    "Imagination is more important than knowledge." -- Albert Einstein

Whither the Pirates or the Royals? Or are their fanbases entirely too small?
    “And when finally they sense that some position cannot be sustained, they do not re-examine their ideas. Instead, they simply change the subject.” Jamie Galbraith

nothing more than a fan Always Red's Avatar

The only team that I truly "hate" is the Cubs.

The Yanks, Red Sox, Dodgers and Mets? That's just jealousy over their payrolls.

Did I mention that I hate the Cubs?

Are we sure this wasn't a Pity study?
    Go Gators!

Yanks are hated by Sox fans
    Sox are hated by Yanks fans
    Reds are hated by Reds fans
    Baseball is like church. Many attend, few understand

"according to an Internet algorithm built by Nielsen Co. that analyzes how people feel about certain things. This service typically uses various keywords to find out whether people have positive, negative or neutral reactions to different brands and products."

The program probably hit RedsZone on a few bad days of Reds losing.

I don't hate any baseball player or team, but I have a strong dislike for the Cubs. That's the only team I can't stand.

Joey Votto Fangirl HeatherC1212's Avatar

Meh, the Reds haven't been relevant forever so why would anyone hate them? Most of the nationals sports programs and shows barely know who they are so there had to be some weird statistical thing they did to come up with these results. The only team I highly dislike on that list is the Yankees (I'm befuddled how the Orioles ended up on this list too) but I don't really feel one way or the other about most of the other teams. Odd list.
    "I tried to play golf, but I found out I wasn't very good." -Joey Votto on his offseason hobby search

An MLB.com reporter asked what one thing Votto couldn’t do. “I can’t skate or play hockey,” Votto said. “Well, I can skate ... but I can’t stop.”

Redszone probably did a lot to affect the rating. Very few teams have a board as active as this one, and message boards are by nature cesspools of negativity--even more so when the team is mired in a nearly decade long losing streak.

I hate... internet algorithms.

and the Cubs.
    Where we gonna go?

Quote Originally Posted by reds1869 View Post
    Redszone probably did a lot to affect the rating. Very few teams have a board as active as this one, and message boards are by nature cesspools of negativity--even more so when the team is mired in a nearly decade long losing streak.
    It's based on an algorithm, which means it probably doesn't separate out statements of dislike from statements of legitimate criticism.

I have a feeling the Reds and Red Sox are up there because they have two of the most active fan discussion boards on the internet, Redszone and Sons of Sam Horn, and, both boards having a large number of members well versed in baseball, they tend to be more critical of the teams' moves. I'd be interested to see the stats on page hits for negative vs. positive criticism.

The Indians, on the other hand, have fans who are just about bipolar when it comes to their team. Just like the Browns, when the Indians are doing well, Cleveland fans feel they can do no wrong, but when they stink, the Indians' fans are hypercritical, and it's usually the same people who are like that. I think it comes from being football fans first and baseball fans second. I suppose there might be some negativity coming from internet blogs and other sources regarding disdain for the Indians' name and logo. That's about the only reason I could guess why they would be up there. I don't know, but I wouldn't mind if I had Mark Shapiro and Chris Antonetti running my favorite team. They are always loaded with minor league talent. If they could only hold on to their star players longer, they might have a World Series under their belt by now.
    Wear gaudy colors, or avoid display. Lay a million eggs or give birth to one. The fittest shall survive, yet the unfit may live. Be like your ancestors or be different. We must repeat!

Turn Off Ads?