Turn Off Ads?
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Drew Stubbs: Why Doesn't He Make Enough Contact?

Re: Drew Stubbs: Why Doesn't He Make Enough Contact?

Quote Originally Posted by TRF View Post
    he's got Richie Sexson's body (tall, lanky) and Juan Pierre's speed. his body is confused.

If someone could just convince him the BB's will come once he starts leaving dents in the OF wall, he could be fine.
    Has anyone ever seen him try to bunt for a hit?

Just curious about that...

I don't think his intention is to BB. He's had that same plate approach whether he's leading off or not. However, his eye at the plate is horrendous. Like Doug stated, he takes the fastball down the heart of the plate way too many times. What I can't figure out is if he truly is looking for a curveball or he really thinks the pitch is a ball. If I had to guess, I'd say Stubbs is trigger shy early in the count. He doesn't want to swing at a bad ball, but his swing requires so much moving parts, that if he got the swing started, it would be too late and the ball would be by him.

I remember his last at bat in Houston. He hit a double down the left field line. That hit really stuck out to me because the ball was pitched about letter high and in. It was off the plate and Stubbs still swung. The way he hit it, it looked as if he knew the ball was coming there, but yet seemed surprised hit it. Seems to me that the moving parts in his swing cause his bat to be so slow that he almost has to guess to get good wood on a ball. Think about how bad a golf swing would be if you shifted your weight to your front foot prior to impact. You'd miss the ball a helluva lot more.
    Last edited by forfreelin04; 05-06-2010 at 03:22 PM.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by forfreelin04 View Post
    Has anyone ever seen him try to bunt for a hit?

Just curious about that...
    I know that I can't buy a decent bunt with him in MLB10 :
    Games are won on run differential -- scoring more than your opponent. Runs are runs, scored or prevented they all count the same. Worry about scoring more and allowing fewer, not which positions contribute to which side of the equation or how "consistent" you are at your current level of performance.

Quote Originally Posted by RedsManRick View Post
    I know that I can't buy a decent bunt with him in MLB10 :
    Rick, those video games are just getting more and more realistic.

Question about Stubbs: I'll admit that I haven't watched every inning of every Reds game but I don't recall ever seeing Stubbs bunt. with his speed it seems like this should be a part of his arsenal. what gives?

Actually agree with Dusty on Stubbs.....

Baker puts Stubbs' struggles in perspective

http://cincinnati.reds.mlb.com/news/...=.jsp&c_id=cin

CINCINNATI -- Reds center fielder Drew Stubbs snapped an 0-for-15 skid with a ninth-inning single Friday, but he was still batting only .174 with 30 strikeouts in 97 at-bats entering Saturday. Reds manager Dusty Baker was armed with printouts about former players that also had trouble hitting after their rookie seasons.
    "I pulled some stats and was checking it out [because] we were talking about Stubbs," Baker said.

Baker pointed out that Mark McGwire batted .201 in 1991, his sixth big league season. There was a sheet on Ozzie Smith, who batted .211, .230 and .222 over his second through fourth seasons. Reds great Dave Concepcion batted .205 in his sophomore season and .209 his third year.

"In today's world, they would not have been patient about that," Baker said. "Mike Schmidt hit .196 in 132 games [in 1973, his second season]."

Especially because Stubbs is so fast on the bases and strong defensively, Baker is prepared to give him time to get his hitting together. Stubbs was dropped from the leadoff spot to seventh on Friday and batted there again on Saturday.

"I'm willing to give rope because I know what's there," Baker said. "I'm known to give rope. I'm criticized for giving rope. You just don't get it out of everybody at the same rate or the same pace."
    "In my day you had musicians who experimented with drugs. Now it's druggies experimenting with music" - Alfred G Clark (circa 1972)

Thanks for posting that GAC. I actually 100% agree with Dusty's handling of the situation, which is very rare.

Here is where Dusty gets a lot of credit from me, in handling stuff like Stubbs' slow start. And the other slow starts on the team.

Quote Originally Posted by membengal View Post
    Here is where Dusty gets a lot of credit from me, in handling stuff like Stubbs' slow start. And the other slow starts on the team.
    Imagine if Jerry Narron was the manager of the team.

I know I'm in the minority here, but I like Dusty. I won't lose any sleep if he's not the manager next year, but I'd have very little problem if they brought him back.

As for Stubbs, the Reds really don't have any better options at this point as bad as that sounds.
    Last edited by reds44; 05-10-2010 at 02:53 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by reds44 View Post
    As for Stubbs, the Reds really don't have any better options at this point as bad as that sounds.
    You could say this every year for the last 10. In fact, not since Jr's first year as a Red have they had a CF that could hit. It's the Red's black hole.
    Dubito Ergo Cogito Ergo Sum.

SERP deep cover ops WebScorpion's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by membengal View Post
    Truthfully, since Dusty fixed his freaky lineup compulsion (CF=#1, SS=#2) I'm pretty happy with him as a manager. He plays the press pretty well and he's always been good at handling young players. Is it possible he's improving with age and we get his best years?

"This field, this game, is a part of our past. It reminds us of all that once was good, and what could be again." -- Terence Mann

I like that approach by Dusty.

I'd also like to see the quote "We're also working with Drew to remove that horrendous loop in his swing so he can hit fewer fly balls and more line drives to maximize his wheels"
    Baseball is like church. Many attend, few understand

Turn Off Ads?