Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 16 to 30 of 32

Thread: Todd Frazier and David Freese

  1. #16
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    6,419

    Re: Todd Frazier and David Freese

    Quote Originally Posted by mth123 View Post
    Where does this info come from? Seems pretty awful so far.
    How about where does your info come from? We have heard and read from plenty of places that say he can play 3rd, 2nd, and LF.

  2. Turn Off Ads?
  3. #17
    The Big Dog mth123's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    14,578

    Re: Todd Frazier and David Freese

    Quote Originally Posted by GIDP View Post
    How about where does your info come from? We have heard and read from plenty of places that say he can play 3rd, 2nd, and LF.
    He was horrid at 2B last year. He hasn't played enough at 3B to show he can do it every day and LF is basically a fall back position. Being "able to play" a spot and being able to play every day at the spot are much different things. Ryan Freel could play 2B, but nobody would want him there every day. When I hear, "can play 2B" that is what I think of when a guy hasn't really done it successfully on a daily basis. EdE can play 3B, but we've seen what he does out there every day. Frazier is at AAA and hasn't really proven to be a guy who can play every day at any spot at this point.

    I think too many on here have taken "can play there" and read into it what they want it to mean. I think Frazier can be pretty darn valuable as a guy who moves around from 2B to 3B to SS to 1B and to the OF and getting 400+ PAs in the process, but I just won't believe he can be an every day guy at any of them until he actually does that.
    "All I can tell them is pick a good one and sock it." --BABE RUTH

    Having better players makes "the right time" or "the big hit" happen a lot more often. PLUS PLUS

  4. #18
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    6,419

    Re: Todd Frazier and David Freese

    For someone who ask "Where does this info come from? Seems pretty awful so far." Your info seems to be coming from no where other than what you think.

    Do we know how good he is at those positions? Not really but did anyone really know how good Jay Bruce was at RF before he got the call to the majors? No. We had an idea, we heard reports, but we didnt have anything special. From the reports I have read I heard he can play 3rd fine, and he could play 2nd as well. Not a GG 2nd but yes he could play there and be valuable.

  5. #19
    The Big Dog mth123's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    14,578

    Re: Todd Frazier and David Freese

    Quote Originally Posted by GIDP View Post
    For someone who ask "Where does this info come from? Seems pretty awful so far." Your info seems to be coming from no where other than what you think.

    Do we know how good he is at those positions? Not really but did anyone really know how good Jay Bruce was at RF before he got the call to the majors? No. We had an idea, we heard reports, but we didnt have anything special. From the reports I have read I heard he can play 3rd fine, and he could play 2nd as well. Not a GG 2nd but yes he could play there and be valuable.
    Why isn't he playing 2B now? If his future is there, when does he actually start playing the spot?
    "All I can tell them is pick a good one and sock it." --BABE RUTH

    Having better players makes "the right time" or "the big hit" happen a lot more often. PLUS PLUS

  6. #20
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    6,419

    Re: Todd Frazier and David Freese

    Quote Originally Posted by mth123 View Post
    Why isn't he playing 2B now? If his future is there, when does he actually start playing the spot?
    Jay Bruce didnt play much RF in the minors. Maybe his future is where ever we need him. I think the future right now is utility until a spot on the major league roster opens up. Mean while in AAA they have, Francisco, Valaika, Sutton, Cozart all of who are IF players. I think its a numbers game. Do any of those guys Bats project to be an OF bat? I dont think so. Francisco is the only one and we all know what a lot of us knock him for.

    Its not like he hasnt played games at 3rd. Hes played 4 this year there, 3 at 1st and 12 in left. It could be as simple as they want him in left because thats his easiest path to the majors right now and he needs the experience.

    I can see why you might question his ultimate role but to say "seems pretty awful" when really basing it off zero is about the same as if I said "seems like an MVP"

  7. #21
    The Big Dog mth123's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    14,578

    Re: Todd Frazier and David Freese

    Quote Originally Posted by GIDP View Post
    Jay Bruce didnt play much RF in the minors. Maybe his future is where ever we need him. I think the future right now is utility until a spot on the major league roster opens up. Mean while in AAA they have, Francisco, Valaika, Sutton, Cozart all of who are IF players. I think its a numbers game. Do any of those guys Bats project to be an OF bat? I dont think so. Francisco is the only one and we all know what a lot of us knock him for.

    Its not like he hasnt played games at 3rd. Hes played 4 this year there, 3 at 1st and 12 in left. It could be as simple as they want him in left because thats his easiest path to the majors right now and he needs the experience.

    I can see why you might question his ultimate role but to say "seems pretty awful" when really basing it off zero is about the same as if I said "seems like an MVP"
    Not basing on zero. Basing on last year when he played 2B and was, well, pretty awful. So awful that the Reds seem to have determined its not worth a further look in 2010. I'd think a team giving him a look and him being poor there followed up by no additional look is better evidence than some lists put together by guys who only watch these guys in passing.
    "All I can tell them is pick a good one and sock it." --BABE RUTH

    Having better players makes "the right time" or "the big hit" happen a lot more often. PLUS PLUS

  8. #22
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    6,419

    Re: Todd Frazier and David Freese

    He's "pretty much amazing" in LF considering how much they play him there. Now im basing it off the sole fact that he has a lot of games played there. I really dont know if hes good there or not. Just like you really dont know if hes good at any other positions either. Maybe he wont be playing 2nd with the big club because of all our depth there. Do you really know or is it just because of what you think their intentions are?

    I'm clearly open to the possibility that he isnt a major league 2nd baseman, and I dont think he really will be honestly, but I'm not opening and shutting the door just because he isnt playing there every day. Im certainly not going to suggest that hes "pretty much awful" just based off that info.

  9. #23
    The Big Dog mth123's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    14,578

    Re: Todd Frazier and David Freese

    Quote Originally Posted by GIDP View Post
    He's "pretty much amazing" in LF considering how much they play him there. Now im basing it off the sole fact that he has a lot of games played there. I really dont know if hes good there or not. Just like you really dont know if hes good at any other positions either. Maybe he wont be playing 2nd with the big club because of all our depth there. Do you really know or is it just because of what you think their intentions are?

    I'm clearly open to the possibility that he isnt a major league 2nd baseman, and I dont think he really will be honestly, but I'm not opening and shutting the door just because he isnt playing there every day. Im certainly not going to suggest that hes "pretty much awful" just based off that info.
    Well, major league teams make priorities of the prospects that they think can make an impact. Aroldis Chapman comes along and a pretty decent guy like Matt Klinker gets pushed back to AA in favor of a bigger priority. If Frazier was really the team's top prospect and 2B was in his future, he'd be playing there now and Valaika would be the guy moving around.

    And there is no question that his performance defensively at 2B in 2009 was poor. That isn't based on anything other than what actually occurred. There is no evidence that he will be able to play there every day at the major league level.

    So, I still have to ask, based on him being poor there in 2009 and not playing there in 2010, how can anyone say he'll be average or a little better defensively as a major league second baseman?
    "All I can tell them is pick a good one and sock it." --BABE RUTH

    Having better players makes "the right time" or "the big hit" happen a lot more often. PLUS PLUS

  10. #24
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    New York, NY
    Posts
    8,788

    Re: Todd Frazier and David Freese

    Quote Originally Posted by mth123 View Post
    Where does this info come from? Seems pretty awful so far.
    I had read from some scouting reports that he was just fine at 2B. I've not watched him there, but I'm guessing based on your responses that you haven't either. Just because the Reds aren't playing him there doesn't mean he can't play the position. Clearly, the Reds won't him to be a "utility" guy...but I think he'd be best served at 2B. Guy came up as a SS...I think he can play 2B.

  11. #25
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    All around
    Posts
    7,318

    Re: Todd Frazier and David Freese

    Right now it's looking like Leake.

    If Leake wins 15 games, it's all but his award.

  12. #26
    The Big Dog mth123's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    14,578

    Re: Todd Frazier and David Freese

    Quote Originally Posted by fearofpopvol1 View Post
    I had read from some scouting reports that he was just fine at 2B. I've not watched him there, but I'm guessing based on your responses that you haven't either. Just because the Reds aren't playing him there doesn't mean he can't play the position. Clearly, the Reds won't him to be a "utility" guy...but I think he'd be best served at 2B. Guy came up as a SS...I think he can play 2B.
    Came up as a SS is some reason to think so. He made a number of misplays in his audition last year and it was passed off as getting used to the position. I guess I think if that is all it was he'd get more work there to overcome that problem. I think he can play there for the same reason that you do. He came up as a SS. But almost everybody has some SS in their background at some point. Kevin Mitchell, Eric Davis etc. Frazier stuck there long enough that I'd think some time at 2B is not out of the question. I just think ability to spot in at a position is a lot different than holding down that spot every day where the defensive weaknesses of a guy accumulate on the pitching staff. I just don't see how anyone (even those guys writing those reports) can say he's a future 2B on an every day basis until he actually plays 2B on an every day basis. I really don't see how anyone can say average to above average defensively. If you said, get by on his bat while putting up with a poor glove and hoping he improves (kinda like EdE) I'd probably be more likely to agree. Same goes for 3B really.
    Last edited by mth123; 05-07-2010 at 12:46 AM.
    "All I can tell them is pick a good one and sock it." --BABE RUTH

    Having better players makes "the right time" or "the big hit" happen a lot more often. PLUS PLUS

  13. #27
    The Boss dougdirt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    33,800

    Re: Todd Frazier and David Freese

    Todd Frazier isn't ready to play 2B in the majors at all right now.

  14. #28
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    All around
    Posts
    7,318

    Re: Todd Frazier and David Freese

    Quote Originally Posted by dougdirt View Post
    Todd Frazier isn't ready to play 2B in the majors at all right now.
    He'll be the 2012 starter at 2nd Base.

    That's his timeline.

  15. #29
    Waitin til next year bucksfan2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Cincinnati
    Posts
    10,028

    Re: Todd Frazier and David Freese

    Quote Originally Posted by mth123 View Post
    Came up as a SS is some reason to think so. He made a number of misplays in his audition last year and it was passed off as getting used to the position. I guess I think if that is all it was he'd get more work there to overcome that problem. I think he can play there for the same reason that you do. He came up as a SS. But almost everybody has some SS in their background at some point. Kevin Mitchell, Eric Davis etc. Frazier stuck there long enough that I'd think some time at 2B is not out of the question. I just think ability to spot in at a position is a lot different than holding down that spot every day where the defensive weaknesses of a guy accumulate on the pitching staff. I just don't see how anyone (even those guys writing those reports) can say he's a future 2B on an every day basis until he actually plays 2B on an every day basis. I really don't see how anyone can say average to above average defensively. If you said, get by on his bat while putting up with a poor glove and hoping he improves (kinda like EdE) I'd probably be more likely to agree. Same goes for 3B really.
    You do tend to put your best players at SS and CF in amateur baseball. Its just the way things work out. I do think Frazier getting another 3 years of experience at SS while playing at Rutgers will help him defensively at another position. It wasn't like he played SS in HS and then was shifted off the position right away in the minors.

    FWIW I think playing 2b is much easier than playing 3b. At 2b you can play deeper, even more so if you have a strong arm, have much more time to react to balls. At 3b its more of a one step position. You have to have a very quick first step because often that is how long you get to get to a ball. Watching Rolen is a perfect example of that. He may not be the fastest player on the field but I would be surprised if anyone has a quicker first step than he does.

    I do think Frazier will wind up at 2b in the future. I think the Reds should be looking to move Phillips in a trade and Frazier should step in and provide overall the same production. I think the Future LF is Alonso and I think a 3b prospect is still in the works. I do think this organization is going to run Rolen out there as their starting 3b until the day he can no longer play.

  16. #30
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    4,407

    Re: Todd Frazier and David Freese

    I don't think it will be a question of running Rolen out there. It will be that he's not going to give up the position and there's nobody who's going to be able to take it. Also, if Todd Frazier is at 2b, in 2012 or whenever, will there be a bigger player at the position anywhere in the major leagues? While some aspects of playing 2b may seem easier than 3b, it's not just ground balls that are what's involved. A good 2b has to have much greater range on pop flies and the ability, of course, to get to the base quickly on steals and double plays. There's a reason 2bs typically are not as big as Todd Frazier.


Turn Off Ads?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Board Moderators may, at their discretion and judgment, delete and/or edit any messages that violate any of the following guidelines: 1. Explicit references to alleged illegal or unlawful acts. 2. Graphic sexual descriptions. 3. Racial or ethnic slurs. 4. Use of edgy language (including masked profanity). 5. Direct personal attacks, flames, fights, trolling, baiting, name-calling, general nuisance, excessive player criticism or anything along those lines. 6. Posting spam. 7. Each person may have only one user account. It is fine to be critical here - that's what this board is for. But let's not beat a subject or a player to death, please.

Thank you, and most importantly, enjoy yourselves!


RedsZone.com is a privately owned website and is not affiliated with the Cincinnati Reds or Major League Baseball


Contact us: Boss | GIK | BCubb2003 | dabvu2498 | Gallen5862 | LexRedsFan | Plus Plus | RedlegJake | redsfan1995 | The Operator | Tommyjohn25