Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Is Daryl Thompson still relevant?

Is Daryl Thompson still relevant?

Just a question that I thought I would throw out there to folks who follow the minors closely. He is 24 and at AA, but is putting up some fine numbers. Is he still relevant? What are the chances of him eventually taking a spot in a ML rotation? Any and all comments are welcome.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Is Daryl Thompson still relevant?

I think he is still relevant and should be back up in AAA as soon as a spot opens up (although he may have to wait behind Klinker.)

In terms of his big league future, I always thought the bullpen would be Thompson's calling at the big league level. Similar to Micah Owings, he could be a mediocre starter or an above average reliever. Why not train him now to be the latter?
    Go BLUE!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Benihana View Post
    I think he is still relevant and should be back up in AAA as soon as a spot opens up (although he may have to wait behind Klinker.)

In terms of his big league future, I always thought the bullpen would be Thompson's calling at the big league level. Similar to Micah Owings, he could be a mediocre starter or an above average reliever. Why not train him now to be the latter?
    Maybe you can fool another team into thinking he's a starting and getting good value for him?

I love Thompson, but his injury history really concerns me.

Quote Originally Posted by Benihana View Post

I think Thompson is a reliever as well, but he may need to pitch some extended innings on a regular schedule to build arm strength. I think he could be a sleeper for the pen next year but his time starting now will pay dividends down the road IMO.
    Last edited by mth123; 05-07-2010 at 12:40 AM.
    "All I can tell them is pick a good one and sock it." --BABE RUTH

Having better players makes "the right time" or "the big hit" happen a lot more often. PLUS PLUS

Without a doubt, he's still relevant.

The only goal this year is for him to get through 120-130 innings injury-free.

He does that, then he can stretch it out next season to 150-160 innings while throwing a complete arsenal of pitches.

He's developing pitching techniques right now that will benefit him when he gets to the Majors.

In 2012 he can be another starter for the REDS, and he'll only be approaching the beginning of his peak years of 27-31 (for a pitcher).

As long as he doesn't "bomb" this year or re-injure himself, then he'll be right on track from rehabilitating his latest injury.

He's made it back more successfully than I thought he could, but he's still a long way from the majors, considering the line that's formed in front of him.

I consider him an extreme long shot -- no better than Tom Cochran -- to be a starter again for the Reds. He's got a better chance as a long reliever, but still a long shot. The health of his shoulder is just too fragile.
    "Baseball is a very, very complex business. It's more of a people business than most businesses." - Bob Castellini

Lover of Trivialities Doc. Scott's Avatar

And now he's on the DL with "right shoulder fatigue". I really think they ought to just go ahead and 'pen him now.

No. The only value the Reds could get out of him is in the pen. He is what 12th 13th on the starting pitching depth chart? He has proven over the course of his career he can't stay healthy enough. As of right now unless he is converted to a reliever he is there to fill on spot in the AA rotation.

Well,back to the D.L for young Mr.Thompson.Maybe when he gets back
    he should be moved to the bullpen.

Quote Originally Posted by ddrone View Post
    Well,back to the D.L for young Mr.Thompson.Maybe when he gets back
    he should be moved to the bullpen.
    Isn't that what we said the last time? And the time before that?

Smells Like Teen Spirit jmcclain19's Avatar

I'd like to see him do well, but sadly I doubt Thompson ever rises as high as his couple of replacement starts for the Reds two seasons ago.

Too many injuries - too many other guys in front of him.

Quote Originally Posted by Doc. Scott View Post
    And now he's on the DL with "right shoulder fatigue". I really think they ought to just go ahead and 'pen him now.
    They were so careful with him, too. This may just be a continuation of that. I doubt very much if he's going to be out beyond the minimum DL days. I think it's just "part" of his rehab.

I'm not writing him off, yet, as a starter. Let's see how this season plays out, first.

He can still get to 120-130 innings this year.

Quote Originally Posted by Kingspoint View Post
    They were so careful with him, too. This may just be a continuation of that. I doubt very much if he's going to be out beyond the minimum DL days. I think it's just "part" of his rehab.

I'm not writing him off, yet, as a starter. Let's see how this season plays out, first.

He can still get to 120-130 innings this year.
    ....and he gets the start today.

....and he pitched fantastically. He actually breezed through the innings.
    Last edited by Kingspoint; 05-11-2010 at 05:33 PM.

Is it possible that he could project as a Alfredo Aceves (NYY) or Tyler Clippard (WAS) type of swingman/middle reliever? Or would his arm not hold up as a reliever.
    "The players make the manager, it's never the other way." - Sparky Anderson

Quote Originally Posted by NJReds View Post
    Is it possible that he could project as a Alfredo Aceves (NYY) or Tyler Clippard (WAS) type of swingman/middle reliever? Or would his arm not hold up as a reliever.
    Because he's had to overcome so much adversity, he's had to become a smarter pitcher out of default. He could end up being very impressive....more of the John Tudor type of pitcher...2-1 Walk ratio w/ a 1.200 WHIP, low ERA (compared to his contemporaries). (except he'll probably never pitch 200 innings during a season like Tudor did 4 times.

I really could see him finishing with 1600 Innings (about 200 less than Tudor), but it all depends on him being able to get through 2010 and 2011 without an injury that puts him on the DL for 60 days.

Turn Off Ads?