Turn Off Ads?
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Is Daryl Thompson still relevant?

All work and no play..... Vottomatic's Avatar

Re: Is Daryl Thompson still relevant?

His injury history always concerned me. I knew he'd be a bust.
    "I can't take this homerism anymore." - 10xWSChamps, August 11, 2010. A Cardinals fan having a problem with all the homerism on Redszone. Classic.

"Man do I miss the days where were didn't need a calculator and an encyclopedia of baseball metrics to enjoy a baseball game ... - MikeS21" - 8/2/12 game thread

2. Turn Off Ads?

Quote Originally Posted by Vottomatic View Post
    His injury history always concerned me. I knew he'd be a bust.
    Except that until he retires, you can't really make that. It is not as if he was just getting his brains beat in. The guy was pitching extremely well. Again.

I'm trying to find out the extent of his injury and am not getting anywhere yet.

Zebulon, NC --- The Cincinnati Reds have made one roster move impacting their Double-A affiliate Carolina Mudcats prior to tonight's series finale with the Jacksonville Suns.

RHP Daryl Thompson has been placed on the seven-day disabled list with a right shoulder strain. The move is retroactive to May 17th. Thompson was lifted from Sunday's start after pitching 4 2/3 innings.

No corresponding move has been announced.

DISABLE: RHP Thompson, Daryl (To 7-day DL)

I have a guy down in Chattanooga right now where Carolina is playing with a press pass for my site. HE talked with Thompson yesterday. Said he strained his rotator cuff and won't throw for a few days. He also said he isn't sure if he will head to the rotation or bullpen upon his return.

It is a shame. They guy was so impressive his last start. Thanks for the update.

Quote Originally Posted by lollipopcurve View Post
    He's made it back more successfully than I thought he could, but he's still a long way from the majors, considering the line that's formed in front of him.

I consider him an extreme long shot -- no better than Tom Cochran -- to be a starter again for the Reds. He's got a better chance as a long reliever, but still a long shot. The health of his shoulder is just too fragile.
    Ya. If "still relevant" is defined as factoring in the team's future plans, the answer has got to be "not really".
    "This isnít stats vs scouts - this is stats and scouts working together, building an organization that blends the best of both worlds. This is the blueprint for how a baseball organization should be run. And, whether the baseball men of the 20th century like it or not, this is where baseball is going."---Dave Cameron, U.S.S. Mariner

Quote Originally Posted by jojo View Post
    Ya. If "still relevant" is defined as factoring in the team's future plans, the answer has got to be "not really".
    Was he ever really part of the teams plan though? It's not like anybody has ever said "we have Daryl Thompson waiting in the minors."

I think, at this point, you have to put him in the bullpen and see if his arm holds up down there. He has the talent to get to the majors and pitch, they've just got to find a way to keep him healthy.
    Quote Originally Posted by PuffyPig View Post
    Let's face it, you mis-hit the bun with the mustard squirter, no one will really care.

I do not call someone who gets injured a bust. Eric Davis would be considered a bust based on that concept. Pete Reiser. Gary Nolan. Don Gullett.

No matter what happens with Daryl Thompson, watching his debut at Yankee Stadium was incredible. He loaded the bases with no outs and got out of it unscathed. What kind of person does that at Yankee Stadium and as a rookie making his debut no less? Granted, the 2008 Yanks were not as good as the 2009 ones, but they were still better than the Reds by a lot.

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/ba...shutout_l.html

All work and no play..... Vottomatic's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by jojo View Post
    Well said. And the fact he now has a rotator cuff injury pretty much says it all.

But all the positive people can keep dreaming.
    "I can't take this homerism anymore." - 10xWSChamps, August 11, 2010. A Cardinals fan having a problem with all the homerism on Redszone. Classic.

"Man do I miss the days where were didn't need a calculator and an encyclopedia of baseball metrics to enjoy a baseball game ... - MikeS21" - 8/2/12 game thread

Lets Go 'Bird' Hunting The Voice of IH's Avatar

gotta be tough for someone who made his first big league start at Yankee Stadium
    Hey Sparky! Indian Hill English teachers taught me everything I know!

Thompson's 2008 start in New York...

http://www.retrosheet.org/boxesetc/2...210NYA2008.htm

Turn Off Ads?