Turn Off Ads?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Todd Frazier and David Freese

Todd Frazier and David Freese

This is Freese's rookie year. At age 27. And so far he's a ROY candidate, all due respect to Heyward, Freese is having nearly as good a year. Going to be a close vote if they both keep playing like this.

Frazier is off to a slow start this year, but he's always been a solid hitter. He's only 24, and though its been said he has no position, I'm thinking he's likely destined for 3B, a position that seems taken for the next three years. Which could see him taking the position at age... 27. Frazier made his professional debut two years younger than Freese, and he's at AAA two years younger than Freese was, so Frazier still has room to grow a bit more.

Freese isn't spectacular with the glove. The best compliment I've heard about Frazier is he is solid at 3B and LF which I take to mean he won't kill you there. Similar to Freese.

So if this is the real David Freese, I hope Frazier can match him. Of course as a Reds fan, I kinda hope Freese falls apart.
    Dubito Ergo Cogito Ergo Sum.

2. Turn Off Ads?

Re: Todd Frazier and David Freese

ROY might well be Leake.

Two things:

1) This isn't the real David Freese. (Or he's found some amazing product that makes him a far better player than he ever has been.)

2) Frazier is a better player than David Freese.

Only 20 some games into the season. Cueto was a Cy young winner before the all star break.

Quote Originally Posted by Scrap Irony View Post
    Two things:

1) This isn't the real David Freese. (Or he's found some amazing product that makes him a far better player than he ever has been.)

Freese has a career .916 OPS in the minors, and in 187 AAA games, .905.

I'd take that.

I might not be in the majority on this, but right now, I'd have to say that Frazier is a future left fielder.

Quote Originally Posted by camisadelgolf View Post
    I might not be in the majority on this, but right now, I'd have to say that Frazier is a future left fielder.
    He could be, but there is no other options on the near horizon at the minor league level for 3B except maybe Sutton. JF, maybe, but i doubt it. I see him as more of a LF than Frazier. And thank god Valaika is hitting or we'd hear about Frazier at 2B again.

Designated Threadkiller LincolnparkRed's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by TRF View Post
    He could be, but there is no other options on the near horizon at the minor league level for 3B except maybe Sutton. JF, maybe, but i doubt it. I see him as more of a LF than Frazier. And thank god Valaika is hitting or we'd hear about Frazier at 2B again.
    I had noticed that finally stopped. Too bad we have a hot dog currently manning second and now possibly leading off. Guess that is better than batting cleanup.

Freese might not be the hitter he was in the minors, but until he proves he isn't, the Cardinals are looking awfully smart right now.

Quote Originally Posted by camisadelgolf View Post
    Frazier has been a disappointment this year. he was supposed to be an .800 OPS bat who could play LF/3B/maybe 2B. The Reds are starting Gomes & Nix in LF because Frazier can't hit his weight in AAA.

Quote Originally Posted by Scrap Irony View Post
    Two things:

Never got all the love for Frazier. He hasn't put up an .850 OPS since low A and he can't find a defensive position (despite all the protests we hear to the contrary). The love on "the lists" comes from the fallacy that he is a future every day 2B in the big leagues. He may spot there (and every where else) but he won't play that spot on a daily basis on a good team. Freese is older, but his low of an .855 OPS at High A, is higher than anything Frazier has done since Dayton. Frazier will be a pretty good role player who plugs a lot of holes with a competent bat, but he isn't really a middle of the order threat IMO.
    Last edited by mth123; 05-06-2010 at 08:10 PM.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

Having looked at Freese's minor league numbers again (apparently for the first time), all I can say is:

whoops

I was wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by mth123 View Post
    Frazier will be a pretty good role player who plugs a lot of holes with a competent bat, but he isn't really a middle of the order threat IMO.
    I agree with this for the most part. He's definitely not a .175 hitter, but he's got to show me a whole lot from here on out. If he's not on the 25 man next year at least, then IMO he's only got a shot at being that late call up guy, 28 years old or something. Not really what you like to see from your BA#1 prospect.
    2015 Rotation: Under Construction

I think Frazier will wind up at 2B. His bat will be most valuable there and he can play defensively at least average, maybe a tick above. Whether that's with the Reds or not, I'm not sure.

Quote Originally Posted by fearofpopvol1 View Post
    I think Frazier will wind up at 2B. His bat will be most valuable there and he can play defensively at least average, maybe a tick above. Whether that's with the Reds or not, I'm not sure.
    Where does this info come from? Seems pretty awful so far.
    All my posts are my opinion - just like yours are. If I forget to state it and you're too dense to see the obvious, look here!

Turn Off Ads?